$1700 for a soundbar???

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    rooftop59 wrote: »

$1700?

Man, that’s chump change.

This is the $5800 Creative sound bar!

https://us.creative.com/soniccarrier/
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Creative...wow. Didn’t know they were still in business?

I mean I get the SAF of the soundbar, and I guess there are dudes out there with money whose spouses won’t let them get anything else, but man you could put together a decent 5.1 system for that kind a dough...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
  • rooftop59 wrote: »

In it's defense, it did get 4 1/2 stars. :)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Clipdat wrote: »
    If you're spending that, just get the Martin Logan: https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MLVISIONX

Except that the ML doesn't offer DTS-X or Dolby Atmos decoding/surround. Just the base layer surround options.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Ah, that's an important distinction, yes. I was mainly thinking about audio quality, but yeah a lot of people need/want those surround sound formats.
  • But does it have Alexa?

Polk: 1
    Samsung: 0
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Different strokes for different folks. I feel like our crowd are somewhat tinkerers, at least I am. I like messing with placement, experimenting but my sister asked me what soundbar should she get so I understand the need.

Btw went with the Magnifi Mini since she has a little one and wants a small footprint. She likes it...or so I assume since she hasn't reached out to complain to me about it.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I think that I'll stick with HiFi gear... but, I know a lot of people who would rather have this.
  • rooftop59
    At a certain level I get it. I understand the guy who wants better sound for movies and sports, who thinks that Bluetooth speakers are fine for music, and whose spouse is not going to tolerate lots of gear. If the price range is say, $300-500, given those other criteria it totally makes sense. But being a music first guy, and a cheapskate, I would MUCH rather get a pair of solid bookshelf speakers and a receiver for the same money.

It’s really the price tag that I can’t get past...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I think those in the market just want more dialogue clarity, and/or just louder than the TV speakers are capable. Figure that’s about 2/3 of the market.

My cousin is the perfect example. Satisfied with a sound bar, until she buys a movie she really wants to see. Then it’s up to my place where she says: “Put this in”, or “What do I do to watch this movie?”
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I have two, what some might consider expensive, soundbars. What they do and where they do it they work great.

Now, I would never give up my 2-channel/theater system for them, but to have them in the additional locations throughout the house they are awesome.

Like others have said. Different strokes for different folks.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • rooftop59
    edited September 2018
    I get the soundbar thing in general, I do. We have been casually perusing new houses, and most have either two living areas or a living room and HT, and often times in at least one of the living areas there is a fireplace with a mounted tv and not much space for much else. Soundbar would make perfect sense, greatly improve causally listening. But I can't get over the cost. I can afford it, but I'm not going to spend it lol...

But it does come down largely to being willing to hunt, buy used, and piece together a high quality system for pennies on the dollar vs. new. And as Skip says, lots of folks just aren't willing to do that.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited September 2018
    @rooftop59. It seems we are thinking the same. I use the soundbars in locations that I can't get WAF. She lets me have my room, but the living room and bedroom are hers. She allows soundbars but not racks of equipment. And our living room is just as you describe. TV over the fireplace. I had the mantel custom built to house the soundbar under the TV. The TV sits directly above. The mantel actually protects the soundbar from heat of the fireplace but we don't have many fires here in Texas.

Biggest problem is the TV is to high. But when we stand in the kitchen and watch it, which is about 90% of its usage, it is perfect.

0312zafbliey.jpg

But right around the corner from the soundbar I have this. Which is where I spend the majority of my TV time.

3r873hagwn89.jpg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • krazypolk wrote: »

You don't spend that kind of money on a soundbar and then rip on its performance. :)
  • rooftop59
    krazypolk wrote: »

You don't spend that kind of money on a soundbar and then rip on its performance. :)

Well, that was a company provided review sample I am sure, not something that the reviewer's paod for...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2018
    tratliff wrote: »
    ....Biggest problem is the TV is to high. But when we stand in the kitchen and watch it, which is about 90% of its usage, it is perfect.
    This had to be the craziest thing that architects, builders, and designers have come up with since LCD TV's came to market. This should be just a No No if this is the main room for watching TV's and its an older house. What kills me even more are new builds that have this. If you MUST build it why not offer it with a low fireplace so the TV can be at watchable height? Some are starting to offer it now but I've seen new builds that with the high fireplace.[/img]
    tratliff wrote: »
    But right around the corner from the soundbar I have this. Which is where I spend the majority of my TV time.
    3r873hagwn89.jpg
    NICE!, Very Nice!

As far as soundbars, I think these new ones with all of the features and better sounds work out well for bedrooms or for those that don't want clutter. And I'm sure that Samsung sounds nice as some of their stuff sound a little better than some of the other brand out there like LG, Vizio, etc. Also, I was surprised how well the Bose sounded over all of the other bars in Best Buy. Its in the same price range when mated with the sub. I could see someone with the money to spend buying it over the others.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    My wife has complained about the tv sound in the bedroom. The Magnifi Mini would be a perfect fit.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I bought this Samsung MS650 sound bar for $450. I sure there are better, but it sounds great to me. Dialogue is clear, and when I put on one of the cable music only channels it sounds fine. I put the TV in that mode when I work at home, and need background music.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-MS650-Soundbar-Extended-Warranty/dp/B071KZV36B/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1538187633&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ms650+samsung+sound+bar&psc=1
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.