My new M6 spikes...or something

jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 2,987
Check it out - my new M6-thread speaker 'foot pads'.
qiprfwxw87xc.jpg
Works perfectly on hardwood floors, but kind of looks like a bloke with skinny legs wearing sandals.

$10 for 8 of them, off Amazon, drop-shipped from China.
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Looking grippy 👍

I've been eyeing the isolation feet by svs
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Not very spike-like, but rock them if you like them.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Check it out - my new M6-thread speaker 'foot pads'.
    qiprfwxw87xc.jpg
    Works perfectly on hardwood floors,

$10 for 8 of them, off Amazon, drop-shipped from China.
    think they’ll work on RTi A7s?

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I'd rather do conventional spikes with the protective discs, but those can be $$
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Those padded screw in feet are worthless.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    What do you think about the system by svs. I have spikes but don't really want to use spikes given the weight of the Utopias at 140 pounds
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    My understanding of the SVS feet is they are meant to isolate the sub from the floor to help limit the amount of structural vibrations. Not unlike the SubDude.

From SubDude,
    Dramatically reduces structural vibrations through walls, floors & ceilings

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    My SDA's are at least 160lbs. each and they are spiked. The first thing I did with my SVS sub was add Adona Multi-Element spikes.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    I think they would make a good spike substitute then plus they offer multiple bolt sizes
  • F1nut
    Spikes couple, those decouple.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Hmm, would be curious to see if you could hear the difference
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    DSkip wrote: »
    This is also true with components and is why racks and platforms matter so much.

Such a can of worms. Everyone seems to have different schools of thought when it comes to coupling/decoupling/isolation/anti vibration. So many different approaches and the prices easily soar into the stratosphere for some of the "high end" racks. It's all a bit overwhelming.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I had the svs feet on a sub. They did isolate it, too well. Lost a lot of that tactile feel you expect with a sub. Spiked it and sold the feet.
  • F1nut
    VR3 wrote: »
    Hmm, would be curious to see if you could hear the difference

Damn right I can, you should know that by now.

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited September 2018
    Spikes on speaker stands I get. But spikes on a Audio rack? Unless there’s a turntable, I don’t buy it.
  • F1nut
    That's because you are inexperienced.

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's because you are inexperienced.

I know. I forgot to add, “Can you enlighten me?”
  • F1nut
    Spikes transfer vibration away from the item to ground.

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    edited September 2018
    Spikes transfer vibration away from the item to ground.

But what vibrations come from amplifiers/pre amps/tuners etc? Is that background hum what you’re trying to fix?
    And please,give me some detail. Some people may like quick easy answers, but I’m not one of them.
  • F1nut
    Sound waves are vibrations, especially bass notes. Some folks isolate their gear from that by placing the gear in a separate room away from the speakers.

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    Sound waves are vibrations, especially bass notes. Some folks isolate their gear from that by placing the gear in a separate room away from the speakers.

This is something I’ve wanted to do, but I don’t have another room. But what does that have to do with floor spikes on stands?
    I’m not saying I wouldn’t ever buy one, or that I think it isn’t true. But I have trouble believing it, because I simply don’t understand it. The way I see it, your coupling the electronics to the floor, which the speakers are coupled to, the speakers vibrate the floor, and then that vibrates the racks... so the way I see it (probably totally wrong), spiking your racks to the floor causes more vibrations to hit your electronics. I’m probably wrong, but I’m struggling to see how this helps. Enlighten me please...
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Interesting article on the "singing capacitor". The way it is mounted to the PCB, and component chassis, may exacerbate the effect. Thus the desire to isolate (to ground) each component.
    https://product.tdk.com/en/contact/faq/31_singing_capacitors_piezoelectric_effect.pdf
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mlistens03
    verb wrote: »
    Interesting article on the "singing capacitor". The way it is mounted to the PCB, and component chassis, may exacerbate the effect. Thus the desire to isolate (to ground) each component.
    https://product.tdk.com/en/contact/faq/31_singing_capacitors_piezoelectric_effect.pdf

Thank you. This is what I was looking for.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    No worries. I always supported the isolation idea, but today I learned about the piezoelectric effect:
    poc9lq4a4n6r.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mlistens03
    Very interesting. I see the purpose of it now. Thanks!
  • VR3
    Would be curious to compare, the Utopias enclosures varies from 1 to 3 inch thick enclosure walls, bracing and lead plates... Not much vibration leaving anything

Right now I have them in dollies so... Lol
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084

Since we’re talking SQ, any chance of your custom cable riser’s coming to fruition?

I might be innarested
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    GlennDog wrote: »

Since we’re talking SQ, any chance of your custom cable riser’s coming to fruition?

I might be innarested

Yeah, it'll happen just not sure when. Thanks for your interest.

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Very interesting. I see the purpose of it now. Thanks!

I like your open-mindedness.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Those padded screw in feet are worthless.
    Wrong...they are worth at least $10 drop-shipped from China.
    Spikes couple, those decouple.
    Wrong again. Spikes couple themselves to speaker cabinets, but they decouple themselves from flooring, with only the smallest point of a cone touching the floor.

Coupling involves solidifying a connection between two objects, whereas decoupling minimizes the connection.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon