Please recommend a good integrated amp

I am thinking about going the integrated amp route since my vintage Yamaha CR 2020 receiver stopped working recently and it may be time to move on to something else.

Can anyone recommend a good integrated amp (either new or vintage)? My budget would be around $600-$800, more or less.

My current system is: Polk SDA 2B TL speakers, Rotel RCC 1055 CD player, Thorens TD-160 turntable.

A few weeks ago my Yamaha CR 2020 powered on but the relay did not click on at start up and no sound came out of the unit. After warming up for some time, it finally clicked on and was fine. This happened again a few days later. But a day or two after that, it finally didn't click on at all (although it lights up, no sound at all). I really like the sound (and looks) of the vintage Yamaha CR 2020 and may try to fix it but I want to begin looking at other options in case it is too expensive of a fix. I spoke with a hi fi repair shop a few hours away and he told me that the issue with the Yamaha CR 2020 may be just a matter of doing the service bulletin work for those units (replacing resistors) or it may need a new power supply (which he said would be very expensive).

Thanks.

Comments

• I can recommend the Peachtree NOVA 125SE you can probably find one used in that price range.

Assuming you have a phono pre that go go into the line level and use a digital in for your CD player... They are quite nice in that price range.

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=peachtree+nova

Some of the newer models have a built in Phono Pre but cost a little more
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I second the peachtree audio nova models. I have the just plain nova (80 wpc) and it sounds wonderful with my little dynaudios and the DAC is very solid for the price.

I have never heard a musical fidelity amp but they get really good reviews and this one got the forum all excited when it went on sale. I contemplated giving it a shot for the price but decided the stick with what I got:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/musical-fidelity-m2si-integrated-amplifier?variant=32648858128
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Dayens Ampino or you might get lucky and find a used Menuetto in your price range.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • rooftop59
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Dayens Ampino or you might get lucky and find a used Menuetto in your price range.

Do you think that would be enough power for SDA 2Bs?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited September 2018
    Look into the Marantz integrateds. Music Direct and Accessories 4 Less usually have good deals on them, too. I run a set of 2BTL's with a PM6006 and have two other PM6005's.
  • Do you all think the Peachtree would be able to run the 2Bs as well? I mean will it work yeah but I had to start throwing more power at my pair before they really opened up and sounded how they should.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    A used Marantz PM-8004 would be a good choice or you might be able to find a new Yamaha A-S801 in your price range.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    Do you all think the Peachtree would be able to run the 2Bs as well? I mean will it work yeah but I had to start throwing more power at my pair before they really opened up and sounded how they should.

You’re probably right Cody, but the peachtree (especially the 125 wpc model referenced first) have a LOT more power than the ampino...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1