Please recommend a good integrated amp

pglbookpglbook Posts: 1,391
I am thinking about going the integrated amp route since my vintage Yamaha CR 2020 receiver stopped working recently and it may be time to move on to something else.

Can anyone recommend a good integrated amp (either new or vintage)? My budget would be around $600-$800, more or less.

My current system is: Polk SDA 2B TL speakers, Rotel RCC 1055 CD player, Thorens TD-160 turntable.

A few weeks ago my Yamaha CR 2020 powered on but the relay did not click on at start up and no sound came out of the unit. After warming up for some time, it finally clicked on and was fine. This happened again a few days later. But a day or two after that, it finally didn't click on at all (although it lights up, no sound at all). I really like the sound (and looks) of the vintage Yamaha CR 2020 and may try to fix it but I want to begin looking at other options in case it is too expensive of a fix. I spoke with a hi fi repair shop a few hours away and he told me that the issue with the Yamaha CR 2020 may be just a matter of doing the service bulletin work for those units (replacing resistors) or it may need a new power supply (which he said would be very expensive).

Thanks.

Comments

• Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 5,599
    I can recommend the Peachtree NOVA 125SE you can probably find one used in that price range.

Assuming you have a phono pre that go go into the line level and use a digital in for your CD player... They are quite nice in that price range.

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=peachtree+nova

Some of the newer models have a built in Phono Pre but cost a little more
    HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7004 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | HP Elite Slice PC | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4 Pro

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node2 | Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | Marantz 2385 |

Bedroom Peactree Nova 125SE | Focal 905's | Bluesound Node | SVS SB2000 Sub

Garage Yamaha R-N303BL | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP2K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's |
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,758
    I second the peachtree audio nova models. I have the just plain nova (80 wpc) and it sounds wonderful with my little dynaudios and the DAC is very solid for the price.

I have never heard a musical fidelity amp but they get really good reviews and this one got the forum all excited when it went on sale. I contemplated giving it a shot for the price but decided the stick with what I got:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/musical-fidelity-m2si-integrated-amplifier?variant=32648858128
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 3,783
    Dayens Ampino or you might get lucky and find a used Menuetto in your price range.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Dayens Ampino or you might get lucky and find a used Menuetto in your price range.

Do you think that would be enough power for SDA 2Bs?
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
  • DollarDaveDollarDave Posts: 2,546
    edited September 19
    Look into the Marantz integrateds. Music Direct and Accessories 4 Less usually have good deals on them, too. I run a set of 2BTL's with a PM6006 and have two other PM6005's.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,735
    Do you all think the Peachtree would be able to run the 2Bs as well? I mean will it work yeah but I had to start throwing more power at my pair before they really opened up and sounded how they should.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,631
    A used Marantz PM-8004 would be a good choice or you might be able to find a new Yamaha A-S801 in your price range.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Do you all think the Peachtree would be able to run the 2Bs as well? I mean will it work yeah but I had to start throwing more power at my pair before they really opened up and sounded how they should.

You’re probably right Cody, but the peachtree (especially the 125 wpc model referenced first) have a LOT more power than the ampino...
    HT Rig:

Master Bedroom
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    ...but I'm not sure it has too much more current. The Ampino can push some air, but I'm not sure its the right fit here. @marvda1 might have a Unison Research integrated a little above your budget if you can stretch it...
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C