Hurricane's direction is looking bad for me.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Tony M wrote: »
    ptkmrfdl3e8w.png

Looks like the items in your yard have the potential to become airborne :o

I've plan on roping those down. ;):) Just haven't done it yet. There's more to do on the cottages side porch in the back also. But I don't think those pieces of Cedar will get lifted into the air unless a tornado comes through. And that IS a possibility and why I will rope them down. The pieces under the table....If I have the rope, I'll tie them together too. That eagle weighs about 50 lbs. and should hold down those metal pieces.

I'm very surprised I haven't heard one news report mention tornados that sometimes get spawned by hurricanes. Not one mention of it. I heard a freight train outside my window during a previous hurricane. Sure enough, a giant tornado spawned in an inlet and tore up a high priced neighborhood just a couple miles from me toward the ocean. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    The entire time I was reading that and you were describing the geographical locations (house across the street, house to the right, house to the left) I kept thinking of this movie title.

fidsimllwr87.jpg
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    That's a good movie but terribly sad that 2 girls lost their lives in a horrible way. But sometimes FATE from the grave gets justice somewhat.

I like it when scumbags get what they deserve. Like drag me to hell. That girl got revenge on those guys real good!

I see the hurricane was downgraded again.... to a CAT. 2 ... o:):)

I just hope it doesn't sit on our coast and churn away at the beautiful beaches and their homes.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    Emlyn wrote: »
    billbillw wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ummmm......Arlington isn't near the sea. The Army Corps prediction is proof their head is inserted in an ****.

Are we talking about the same Arlington? In Virginia? Isn't that next to the Potomac River, which feeds into the Chesapeake Bay? Isn't that pretty much all at sea level?

If the Potomac was at sea level it wouldn't flow downhill. :)

The river floods because of excessive rain upstream rather than the level of the sea.

The highest point in Arlington County is 450 feet or so.

It only takes a few inches of gradient for water to flow downhill. Its not like there are whitewater rapids through DC. I checked the topo maps and places like Washington National Airport are at 10' above sea level, so yes, the Potomac is basically at or very near sea level. It is affected by the tide by almost 3' feet on a daily basis.
    https://tides.willyweather.com/va/city-of-alexandria/potomac-river--alexandria.html

Bottom line is that places like Alexandria will be affected by sea level rise because it is in a tidal zone. Also, flooding does occur from storm surge, which can go up a river channel. The surge can cause flooding, but it also has a major effect of preventing the rain from flowing downstream.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    FOX news sometimes shows ( on a side window) this Pier at Atlantic Beach that has a storm surge already up to the Pier's level. It's an older Pier. It's getting churned up. Very rough waves!!

That Beach in 40+ miles North of us. :#

They're showing it NOW!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    The category of hurricane is meaningless; 20-40" of RAIN.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited September 2018
    Some pretty big waves kicking up as the first band rolls in. >10-footers I'd say.
    And the band is hitting us here in town now. 40ish mph gusts.

nu6emst33aym.png
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    And you're only taking photos?!? Grab your bodyboard and some fins!
    (make sure your leash isn't dry rotted first?)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited September 2018
    Well the cat is important as it is the wind that drives the storm surge. if/when decrease the storm surge height decreases the combination of flooding from rain and storm surge is deadly to coastal regions and rivers/tidal regions

The tide is also an important factor as to the height of the storm surge.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    I roped more things down and then spent an hour talking with a neighbor. We noticed the gusts of wind getting stronger and stronger as we talked. It's starting to rain a little now too. Our pets are acting like they know something is happening!

The birds are pretty quiet. There's a cat sitting out in a yard meowing quite often at the world. It's an earie sound too. :#

The Bands of wind are definitely strong now! :# I just heard a strong thunder roll! I'm going out to unplug all my electronics. I forgot to do that...duh!

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Some pretty big waves kicking up as the first band rolls in. >10-footers I'd say.
    And the band is hitting us here in town now. 40ish mph gusts.

nu6emst33aym.png

Surf's up!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vcwatkins
    edited September 2018
    Let’s try a vid
    https://youtu.be/-N01SbF08Q4
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    One more time I say... Good luck! I’ll be praying. :)
  • So I am always curious as to why if they are predicting the wind velocity to decrease why they don't reduce their storm surge predictions.

They predicted that here during Irma (Cat 4) in SWFL that we would get 12-15' storm surges and I don't think we got 4' here as the path, wind speed and strength changed/decreased after landfall.

I hope that Florence can begin to dissipate once it makes landfall and that damage to folks and property in it's way can be minimized.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2018
    When this makes landfall and runs into high pressure and stalls, is when the real danger begins from flooding.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Tony M
    We're set now. Maybe cooking our last oven made meal for a few days. While I was talking to my neighbor for an hour, he said the country store at the end of my street was still open and will stay open as long as there is electricity. How cool. I'll bet there will be somebody there after the power goes out. They might have a huge generator. One of our neighbors went and bought wine while we were outside talking. :D

It's raining more.

Power is obviously still on for now.

Wind is gusty.

Birds are feeding feverishly at our feeder. As long as the feeder looks stable, I'll keep seed in it for the little buggers. ;)

We even had a Humming Bird ( female) coming to our hummer feeder just now. It's made a few visits today already. We're waiting for the 2 males we have seen all summer but so far... they're a no show or we're missing them when they come to the window feeder outside of our kitchen sink.
  • msg
    So I am always curious as to why if they are predicting the wind velocity to decrease why they don't reduce their storm surge predictions.

Good question, Mike. I wonder if it has to do with the rise preceding arrival, maybe water getting in, but slower to get out?

If you think about it, there's nowhere for the water to go but forward and/or up, because the storm and surge is still coming on even if the wind's dropped. Soil's saturated, no longer drains, and the water can't really get out due to the continued push of the surge. That'd keep levels up and keep them rising.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    When they had dropped the hurricane this morning to a Cat2, the wind speeds had only decreased 5mph. That's probably not enough of a drop to recalculate tides/flooding levels when you are talking about wind speeds that can still knock a man straight off his feet.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    I had power go out for 2 minutes. I hope that's it. :s

We're getting rain bands and gusts that are getting stronger.

ITTTT'S HEEEEERE ! :#

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Stay safe!!!
    Be sure to tell us how you faired ASAP!!
  • That so called storm of the century is starting to look like a re00uz656uul7n.jpg
    al dud. By the time all is said and done it'll be as much as a drive thru car wash.
  • The high tides are around midnight and the moon is a waxing crescent which is not the highest of high tides.

https://www.moongiant.com/phase/9/15/2018

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I found this interesting.
    Nice use of effects to drive a point home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q01vSb_B1o0
  • vcwatkins
    Looks like 2:00am will be the first real test at Kure Beach, as eyewall will be getting close and high tide is ~1:30a. <gulp>
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited September 2018
    I'm not buying it for a second. Remember Texas? Water backed up into neighborhoods they NEVER expected to get flooding. Like I said, the RAIN is going to be the killer with this storm.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Beaufort will likely get hammered because they lifted that evac order... I love that area of the country.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Looks like I’ll get the remnants in SC. We’re on the western side luckily but I get the feeling we will lose power for a bit here.
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    So far so good here.

I went out to check the cottage ceiling insulation and sure enough, one little section is sagging just a little bit from the wind pressure I guess. It's been through a lot of storms with no sagging. I even made plywood covers for the outside of the gables but never used them I don't think. I know where they are and my ladder too. I'll put one on the front gable if it gets to pushing rain into the front room. :#

Here's where the little sag is;
    o56bpuydsnwu.png
    It's up above the wreath in the second bay at the top. :#
    f38oxfu90vbz.png
    l23v1mogtpjp.png

• msg
    Tony M wrote: »
    I went out to check the cottage ceiling insulation and sure enough, one little section is sagging just a little bit from the wind pressure I guess. It's been through a lot of storms with no sagging. I even made plywood covers for the outside of the gables but never used them I don't think. I know where they are and my ladder too. I'll put one on the front gable if it gets to pushing rain into the front room. :#
    Tony! WTH are you thinking? Do you think today or tomorrow'll be the best time to be walking around on a wet roof or up on a ladder? I will e-smack you. Jeebs man, you're like one step from being put in a HOME!
    I disabled signatures.