Hurricane's direction is looking bad for me.

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Those with well water...fill up all of your tubs before you lose power. Water in my area is already unobtainable. At least you can flush the toilet, water plants, take a neekid sponge bath with your better half, brush your teeth and function half -you-know-what- like normal until the power is restored.

Get gas NOW. Every spare gas can ya' gots!

If you have gutter drainage issues, my advice if you live in the path of the bands, clear them out in the next couple of days, make any and all repairs and consider routing the rainwater away from your foundation. 'Tis gonna be a wee bit of rain fall with this 'hautch.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    Here's a link to a flood map for a Cat. 3 hurricane estimate from data. I just posted and I see if you agree, it lets you view our city and county and the beaches too. It's pretty cool, but not for the coastal or inlet property owners.
    I couldn't copy the picture of the map like I wanted too. :#
    https://floodiq.com/

I don't know if I'd trust what they say. For S&G I put in Arlington, VA. This is what it said.
    ARLINGTON: MINIMAL RISK
    Currently, Arlington has minimal risk of flooding from storm surge created by a Category 3 hurricane, although this risk will worsen as sea levels continue to rise.

Note: Our projections do not include rain, which can make floods even worse.

Sea level rise increases flood risks

Sea levels in the Arlington area will increase by 6.60 inches in the next 15 years, according to the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Ummmm......Arlington isn't near the sea. The Army Corps prediction is proof their head is inserted in an ****.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    It appears vanilla is now censoring medical terms. O-r-i-f-i-c-e

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    edited September 2018
    Me thinks this is not "Vanilla", oh wise one....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    Yeah Tom, I know.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Figured as much....

Tom
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited September 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ummmm......Arlington isn't near the sea. The Army Corps prediction is proof their head is inserted in an ****.

Are we talking about the same Arlington? In Virginia? Isn't that next to the Potomac River, which feeds into the Chesapeake Bay? Isn't that pretty much all at sea level?
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • I'm overdosing on all this Florence talk. I wish that hurricanes would hurry up and wreck everything and be done with it. Rather than keep everyone guessing for a week or so. That's why earthquakes are more my liking. Direct and to the point.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Looks like Florence will hit where predicted, then swing south and effect South Carolina and parts of Georgia. Hoping all of you in its path get by with minimal or no damage stay safe and ride that storm out good luck to you all.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tony - Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Be safe out there.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    krazypolk wrote: »
    I'm overdosing on all this Florence talk. I wish that hurricanes would hurry up and wreck everything and be done with it. Rather than keep everyone guessing for a week or so. That's why earthquakes are more my liking. Direct and to the point.

Been there and done that. I would be grateful to have that week-long warning to get the hell out. An earthquake can damage more crap and kill more people because of that lack of warning.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    41610898_2288673124685383_601183842484617216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=67f0af10b84e46e98ac8dd521e24c27b&oe=5BEFF29E

Tom
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    billbillw wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Are we talking about the same Arlington? In Virginia? Isn't that next to the Potomac River, which feeds into the Chesapeake Bay? Isn't that pretty much all at sea level?

If the Potomac was at sea level it wouldn't flow downhill. :)

The river floods because of excessive rain upstream rather than the level of the sea.

The highest point in Arlington County is 450 feet or so.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Our town is boarded up everywhere. On my street, almost all the businesses are boarded up too. It looks like the early agreed apon predictions gave a lot of time to prepare. I've never seen this many people and businesses boarded up in 30 years. :#

A lot of us know what Cat. 3 hurricanes can do so this town prepared for a 4 or worse. Seeing my neighbors houses boarded up heightened my anxiety somewhat!
    Next to me;
    mxzaebiw9vwc.png
    1qo5z0kgz215.png
    Across the street and down 2 houses. This single guy has NEVER boarded anything or cared about a hurricane. He believes God protects those that live right. I wonder what changed his attitude? No insurance maybe. Not living to good the past couple of years? :D ;
    jc1vmh7pz01q.png

And then there's mine today;
    tx7gfw55eg2v.png
    3lar70243nlm.png
    I'm worried about those two Pine trees across the street. They are slightly leaning away from us but the wind will dictate if and where they fall for sure. If they fall towards us, one or both will hit the power line on our side of the street and that won't be good at all!
    62a0rv2fywu7.png
    ntaoiitdefea.png
    aloo9ujneprf.png

looking down my street. It's a dead end. One hurricane dropped a big pine across the road but it was chain sawed away as soon as daylight came and the storm had passed.
    6eogrxdg02pt.png

Our Crape Myrtles were beautiful this year since we trimmed them back in January. I wonder how they will look after the storm?
    xw14d3i5n6ls.png
    ptkmrfdl3e8w.png
    acwp5nvayi1w.png

I'm going to park my truck between the houses here. Maybe my car too.;
    vjk8frmxov9z.png

I think we'll have access to the web up until late Thursday night. Midnight maybe.
    After that, you won't hear from us for a while. I hope only 2 days. but this Storm is supposed be the worst since Hazel in 54.

I'm sure glad they predicted the storm to downgrade to a 3 before it makes landfall. That has eased my anxiety somewhat to combat the earlier anxiety I got from seeing all the boarded up houses.

I also saw a lot of homes out in the open with no protection. I guess they're insured.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Step daughter shared this link to Frying Pan Shoals LIVE CAMERA FEED. She boady boards so watches these things for wave activity.
    39 miles SE of South Port NC. and 32 miles from Bald Head Island NC.

The storm's eye might go right over this buoy!
    It's supposed to be LIVE but it looks like a 4 hr. video from today. You can see the cloud bands building though. Just skip through it here and there. Tomorrow's view should be VERY INTERESTING and alarming!
    https://youtu.be/deG4NxkouGM

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tony I don't see any boards on your windows! I'm worried for you!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    verb wrote: »

How else is he to see the surf's up?
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

By opening his front door....
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Once again, good luck! And I’ll be keeping all of y’all in my prayers.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited September 2018
    @Tony M Praying for your safety. Get your house boarded up if you can. Do what they recommend. Don't hang around too late. We have tornados so I'm not sure what all the precautions are. Last I knew I still have a cousin in Wilmington, he's was a Professor at UNC/Wilmington. I'll have to check with my cousins here to see how he is. Don't try and take all your audio gear with you, save space for your bride! :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

By opening his front door....

I know right :p:p
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Tony don't surf. :p

e2mrr107yu84.jpg
  • Viking64 wrote: »
    Tony don't surf. :p

e2mrr107yu84.jpg

Not yet, wait til Friday.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited September 2018

Not yet, wait til Friday.

Can someone hang ten on a Monitor 10?
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    If water comes up to my door, Wilmington NC will be in DEEP trouble, and Wrightsville Beach , Carolina Beach and Kure Beach won't be here anymore.

Again, I'm so glad it was downgraded to a Cat. 3!

But the forecasters are expecting beach erosion threats since the storm MIGHT stall and sit right on the coast and churn away. That's not good for the older homes without deeply driven pilings supporting them.

One hurricane toppled one of our historic Church's steeple off of its church. It was quickly rebuilt though.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    It looks like your neighbor directly across the street also didn't board up?

62a0rv2fywu7.png
  • treitz3
    From the looks of it, rain will be our worst enemy.....and a lot of it. In the coastal areas, they get the runoff from all that rain on top of storm surge. For days.

Wind damage will mostly remain out at the coastal areas, gradually but swiftly lowering in intensity about 100 miles in.

Tom
  • Tony M
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It looks like your neighbor directly across the street also didn't board up?

62a0rv2fywu7.png

The owner of that house owns the house to the left of it also.

The house across the street has car parts for his car collection in it. The house to left is empty also. He also owns a house behind me on another street. That 3rd house also has car parts and collector cars behind it. His parents , who are now deceased, were worth a million+ and left everything to him and his sister. There was a 1000 acre farm West of us that has a grocery store on the corner of the farm but they ran out of store tenants that could manage the declining customer base so it was closed. His sister got the farm, he got some rental properties and his sister got some along with the farm.

The house across the street has been empty for 9 years since the previous couple eventually passed. The guy's parents (Who lived beside them on the left since both were built around 1950 were close friends) had first rights to purchase after the last of the couple passed for either direction.

They farmed the land behind them, and the one house to the left even farmed the land to the right of their house ( between the two houses) since their LOTS are HUGE. The guy's parents bought 2 lots back around 1950. Since the guys parents passed, he got the first right and purchased it, in agreement with the deceased couple's children's approved selling price of course.

Well, to update now, the guy had car collector buddies who have property West of here at LAKE WACCAMA. It's a BEAUTIFUL lake! well, he saw some properties that came up for sale and he liked them and bought them so he could live close to his buddies. This guy has been single as long as I've known him. 32 years. He's around 63 years old.

The house to the left of the one in front of me has been empty for 11 years since the guys mother passed and she was the last to pass on too. The two women outlived their husbands by 10 years+. They were very nice women too. Very independent but they also had children that visited everyday ( the guy) or every couple of days for the woman who lived across the street.

The women have been missed!

That one guy who lives on the other side but 2 houses down on the right has been single since I met him 32 years ago also. He's around 53 now.

Both of these single guys grew up their whole lives right here on my street. The guy who did move out, moved to the street right behind me and directly behind me but across the other side of the street. He could walk to his parents house in under 5 minutes by cutting through our yards.

The well water here in my neighborhood used to be the best on the peninsula. It was called "Artesian well water".
    It was sparkling clear back then. I was on well water for a year or more. Never a stain or odor. Just super clear, fine tasting water! I switched to city water when they installed the pipes on our street. My well pump stopped working right after I switched. I just bent over my well pipe. :s. I should've kept it and bought a new well pump to use as irrigation and car washing and even laundry toilet usage until it turned rusty. I could've still used it for irrigation. Now it's rust colored. I don't know if it smells of sulfur like the well water just North of us does and always has. I have one neighbor ( the Christian guy) who waters his grass and you can sure see the rust color on some things in his nice lawn.

Sorry for the rant over if anybody lives across the street in that house with the cars in the yard. That guy who owns it has the prettiest red 69(?) fastback around here.

• Tony M wrote: »
    ptkmrfdl3e8w.png

Looks like the items in your yard have the potential to become airborne :o
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp