Hurricane's direction is looking bad for me.

Comments

• My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    I think they are expecting this to be the worst in modern times for the Carolinas. Praying for all the folks down there.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    tonyb wrote: »
    If this storm stalls when it hits land, they say it has the possibility to dump over 3 ft. of rain. That's like Houston rain, and look what it did to them.

That's about 1/2 of what Houston received. IIRC it was like 60" in 2 days or something like that.
    Still get the heck out if the way folks. Life is too short for this stuff.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    What would be the point of staying? get the hell out of dodge.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited September 2018
    steveinaz wrote: »
    What would be the point of staying? get the hell out of dodge.

I agree. Pack all the important documents, pics, grab a few 5 gal gas cans, get some cash, and hit the road. Stay with friends, or hotel...whatever. I wouldn't wait to see exactly where it hits, then you're in gridlock traffic from waiting too long.

Last thing you want to do is get stuck near the coast with no electricity to get gas, water, food, or use the ATM's.....if you can even use the roads.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I would want to prevent further water damage if I could.

I live in an older well built house. It's been through all the hurricanes that have hit here since 1952 when it was built.

This house is on the highest ground in the county. So house or cottage flooding shouldn't happen. high water flows towards the back of my yard and then onto the street behind mine.

If damage happens to any building here, I'd like to tarp it until we get electricity back.

If I'm still alive, that is.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    I'm glad we just had that Cedar tree cut down a couple of years ago!
    47q2xantwf70.png
    b57y0x5998re.png
  • Tony M wrote: »
    I'm glad we just had that Cedar tree cut down a couple of years ago!
    47q2xantwf70.png
    b57y0x5998re.png

Yikes! That tree could have put a damper on the weekend
  • steveinaz
    Photograph everything you own, take only the priceless stuff with you, and if you plan to stay, write your SSN on your arm with a sharpy so they can identify your body later.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Unnecessarily morbid, Steve.
  • steveinaz wrote: »
    Photograph everything you own, take only the priceless stuff with you, and if you plan to stay, write your SSN on your arm with a sharpy so they can identify your body later.

What about identity theft. I'd only put the last 4.
  • Stay safe y’all
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Isn't Russ's main warehouse in that path too ? Should have sent it all to Chicago....for safe keeping. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Isn't Russ's main warehouse in that path too ? Should have sent it all to Chicago....for safe keeping. :)

Why, so it can be stashed away in TonyB's vault.ajhn1caixcf0.jpg
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    We're staying put. In town, we're at 30ft, small basement if the winds kick up, no young children, elderly in-laws nearby to look after, all necessary tools and supplies.

We've had a few direct eyewall hits and several close ones since moving here in '89; but none stronger than Cat3 at landfall. They've all weakened just prior to hitting. But this storm is very different moving west; so the pattern of sheering/disintegrating, turning northward, and moving out quickly doesn't look likely to happen here.

I'm not very optimistic about the beach house. Hazel '54 was The Big One in this area. It was a Cat4 - winds at lower end of range but it was big, well organised, fast moving, with a big surge. It demolished and carried away many houses, but building standards are obviously much improved since then. Hazel's surge was 18' and our first floor is at 18'. The previous owner had to bulldoze 2-3' of sand out of the ground floor after Bertha/Fran Cat3. We do have two large dune ridges that weren't there at that time, but those can vanish in no time. Cat4 winds, if they hit, will be extremely destructive. We are less than a mile from the river :# The majority of that (Sunny Point) buffer zone is forested. Still, I would guess Cape Fear flooding, heavy rainfall, and backside winds could combine for catastrophic flooding.

Since buying the beach house in '01, we've been very lucky (Nor'easters have been far worse). My hope is that the forecast path, putting us southwest of the eyewall, holds. That would make a huge difference wrt wind and surge. Fingers crossed, bourbon poured. Well, soon to be poured.

Hazel, Carolina Beach (a few miles north)
    AR-605047373.jpg
    Hazel, Kure Beach Pier (just to north)
    hazel-KureBeach-surge-390.jpg

Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    krazypolk wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Why, so it can be stashed away in TonyB's vault.ajhn1caixcf0.jpg

Fairly accurate depiction...what's the problem with that ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    "The government's top emergency response official, Federal Emergency Management Agency head Brock Long, told reporters that residents in the areas likely to be affected should not under-estimate the threat from the hurricane.

"This has an opportunity of being a very devastating storm," Long said. "The power is going to be off for weeks. You are going to be displaced from your home in the coastal areas, and there will be flooding in the inland areas as well.

"These are going to be state-wide events; the hazards will be state-wide," he added."
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited September 2018
    krazypolk wrote: »
    steveinaz wrote: »

What about identity theft. I'd only put the last 4.

I think once they find you and use the number to identify you all worries of identity theft are a moot point. If you are in the path and worry about identity theft then use your drivers license number.

I worked at Furrow building materials when Hugo hit out there, you couldn't buy plywood for months here in Illinois. When it did come back it was 10x the price before Hugo. It was about 3yrs before it stabilized.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    The Warehouse is about four hours inland. Hugo did hit that far in. But that was a wicked storm.
  • steveinaz
    Shark-a-cane?
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited September 2018
    I covered the aftermath of Katrina, and I can tell you from seeing that damage up close that these storms are nothing to be trifled with.

Entire neighborhoods, very very expensive houses, were swept right off their foundations by the storm surge. Nothing was left save for the slabs of concrete they had previously stood on.

I spent a couple of days and a night with a family that was still living off the grid 10 days after the storm.

Wishing you and your family the best.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    hope and prayers for all of you in the path! Stay Safe and do what you have to! Hope it all works out safely for you!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    By all means, be safe.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2018
    @vcwatkins:

Be safe bro! Would suck to have you get hit. Either your primary or your beach house. Put your gear on the second floor or in your attic!

@Tony M

Stay safe yourself too bro!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    Here's a link to a flood map for a Cat. 3 hurricane estimate from data. I just posted and I see if you agree, it lets you view our city and county and the beaches too. It's pretty cool, but not for the coastal or inlet property owners.
    I couldn't copy the picture of the map like I wanted too. :#
    https://floodiq.com/
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2018
    The LARGER issue is UNDERSTANDING there will be NO services available, possibly for weeks. You better have a huge amount of food, water, a generator, lots of fuel, and plenty of any medications you take. BTW, a gen has to be run outdoors, so I don't know how you do that with water everywhere.
  • Tony M
    If survival food gets low, the roads should be open by then and we'll drive to another city. I'm talking 7 days, but we've found if the power does go out, which it should. The next day or three, the electrical emergency responders ( God Bless Them All) will be putting hospitals back up ASAP. My house is on that grid with a Hospital just a mile down the road. Now if fallen trees have blocked my street, I hope my neighbors have gas chain saws to cut our way out. I have an electric one. :#
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    Been through a bunch in Florida. Problem with leaving is, if you don't already have a motel room locked down, be ready to drive to Atlanta.
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.