I just found the most incredible 2ch setup I have ever seen... wow!

Options
13»

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by shack
    Totally irrelevant. It's the finished product...not the parts.

$10 worth of paint and canvas in my hands is worthless!

$10 worth of paint and canvas in Rembrandt's hands is priceless!

Hmm.... good point.

I know the design plays a big role in speakers, but how much of the money are you paying for design and how much are you paying for the actual parts? I'm interested in a ratio.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Companies like Wilson Audio charge like...

2-3,000 for a replacement tweeter on the X1 and X2...

But to the people that own those things, that isnt to much money...lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Audio, while subjective, does have tangible results....proof is in the ears. I think most of us have heard a system at some point or another that "blew" us away just as most of us have seen or even driven a car that did the same.

Is it worth a million to go from 0-100 in 3.4 seconds and back to 0 in another 3.2 seconds when you could do it in say 20 seconds for a tenth of the price? Some people think it is and there's only one seat in those cars too.

I just can't see someone spending that kind of money on an audio system if they weren't passionate about music........and look at all the software the guy has.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I agree with F1, this guy - whoever he is - has to be quite passionate about his music.

I think that he HAS to be passionate about his music, why? I feel that if he wasnt, then I dont think he would bother to post it on an audio forum, since he wouldnt even know the forum existed - unless he had some passion for audio that lead him to a forum, in the first place. The guy would be an IDIOT if he bought a system like that and knew nothing about audio.

Although unrelated to our topic at the moment, I think he built this room in his barn, I saw a few pics earlier. He could be a rich farmer.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Wouldn't the one-seat provide more support that this guy is really serious about his music? If he was trying to impress others, he would have more seats but since he only cares about what he thinks - he only has one seat.

That's my take on it, anyway.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I agree......only one sweet spot.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Options
    And what a sweet spot that must be.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Audio is damn near 100% subjective IMO, what exactly is tangible about it, aside from the actual physical existence of the gear? Just because the gear can be touched doesn't mean it is good.

Testing of gear will provide varying results due to the method of testing, still not tangible, because it's a variable.

I've heard quite a few systems that cost alot more than mine, yet not been blown away. Is that tangible? No, it's my individual experience with that gear. I've heard rigs that are cheaper than mine, sound pretty damn good, yet the owner was not happy with it, and wanted to replace everything eventually.

For example, what about that TT we listened to at different times, @ Soundworks J? I don't recall you waxing poetically about it's performance, and neither did I. That thing cost more than my system AND my car put together....yet vinyl still sucks. I mention that specifically because you and I chatted about it, you know, you would think we would have been altered permanently by that TT huh?

It's an individual experience at every level. I don't know, it doesn't matter ultimately to me either way as I'm unaffected by any of it aside from this simple discussion thread.

I'm not saying he isn't educated in audio, just that it's simply to excessive for me to appreciate any of it. It's simply ridiculous and it's sickening.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Mark, What if you sat in that chair and were ablsolutely BLOWN AWAY by that rig? Could you then appreciate it...even though you would/could never spend that much on an audio rig? I don't know if that would actually happen (you might think it sounds like crap) but until you are in that room, in that chair, with the music playing....everything is speculation.

I understand why you might feel it is excessive...but why does it sicken you? Do you feel the same way about exotic cars, expensive jewelery, multimillion dollar homes, private jets, yachts, etc...? If it does that's cool...lots of folks feel the same way. However, lots of average guys make a decent living making, building, selling, maintaining all of these things. Luxury items are very good for all segments of our economy. To me it's all just stuff....but if you like it and if you can afford it...why not?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Zero,

You hit the nail right on the head.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Well bro, we could go back and forth with this for awhile longer I suppose, so I'm going to leave it alone other than to say I was altered permanently by that TT. It cemented in my mind forever the fact that vinyl does suck.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited December 2004
    Options
    F1 - I hear ya man, amen.

Shack - I'm sure I would like it, but I'm not a fan of blatant excess. It's wasteful to me in the fact that there is no need to spend that kind of money to achieve something amazing.

Ok, I'm done with this guy, officially disinterested now. Great thread.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Agree... good thread...

To me it all bols down to ears and value systems. Someone above mentioned "diminishing returns" which approximates the sum of the two...
    Just how much more blown away can you be or do you want to be?

I think most of us could move our rigs into that room and hear a near "blown away" level improvement.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I think my system is the end all be all and I really feal bad for all you guys.;)

I think there is a real cool factor to all that gear. If you can and enjoy it then I say good on you!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited December 2004
    Options
    That system is from a person who also visits audiogon. He knows what he's talking about. I believe he has a passion, or he wouldn't spend so much time posting about the latest EMM labs gear. He's a true high-ender. If he wasn't he'd simply buy Bose and call it a day. I might have a system 1/5 his worth one day. It doesn't mean he's more dedicated or maybe it does, regardless I appreciate his input on other forums. He's smart and listens to the best. His EMM labs SACD setup he recently bought is $17k. He's on the cutting edge, has a passion and is probably one of the few people you can actually trust for future upgrades. It's people like that which make buying stereo easier down the road. He's paying the big bucks to further the technology. 5-7 years from now we might be listening to DSD upconversion players. And its cuz of that guy, probably him and 1000 other people in all of North America that have the scratch and the passion to spend that kinda dough.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Options
    So he is a good guy. Well I'm glad for that. He truly is one high-ender. :)

• keith allen
    keith allen Posts: 734
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Hows mine compare,its 2 channel and about $248.000 less...hmmm,dumb question
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    I was altered permanently by that TT. It cemented in my mind forever the fact that vinyl does suck.

That is so unfortunate... I'll say a prayer and keep you in my thoughts... :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by keith allen

I like it!!!!!:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    got one on my desk, I can get as many as you need for 20.00 each :p

looks like a spatoon(dunno how it's spelt)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited December 2004
    Options
    edit delete sorry dbl post
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by keith allen

Hows your compare?

Well, from the picture - yours looks a tad out of proportion :p
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2004
    Options
    All that rig needs is a Front Projector, a big screen, and a few more speakers then it'd be complete.

I hate seeing incomplete rigs.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    All that rig needs is a Front Projector, a big screen, and a few more speakers then it'd be complete.

I hate seeing incomplete rigs.

The two channel Audio Gods may (and should) strike you down for a statement like that!!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Options
    The two channel Audio Gods may (and should) strike you down for a statement like that!!

LOL! :D
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Frank was assimilated into the Projector Borg a LONG time ago.....and you gotta love it.