I have some 5jr+ Series 2 and I want to recap, where can I get parts?

As the title says, I have a set of Series 2 5jr+ with what appears to be the SL2500 tweeters. I want to upgrade the tweets as well as recap but I am new to all of this and have no idea what to use, could someone point me in the right direction? These speakers sound wonderful already but I want to get them to their full potential.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited August 2018
    Polk sells an upgraded tweeter, it's the RD-0198. Tell them your a forum member for a discount.
    As for the capacitors we have had tremendous success with Sonicaps or Clarity caps. The resistors we recommend vishay-mills 12 watt and use the same resistance value that is currently in the speaker.

Use the search fuction it should come back with many links of others projects
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    If your on a tight budget, you can use Dayton caps instead of the above, but if you go for the Sonicaps, your ears will thank you.
  • pitdogg2
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    If your on a tight budget, you can use Dayton caps instead of the above, but if you go for the Sonicaps, your ears will thank you.

The lower end of the clarity caps are just a few dollars more than the Daytons and much smoother. IIRC they are called px series
  • mlistens03
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

The lower end of the clarity caps are just a few dollars more than the Daytons and much smoother. IIRC they are called px series

Oh really?
    Never mind then.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Polk sells an upgraded tweeter, it's the RD-0198. Tell them your a forum member for a discount.
    As for the capacitors we have had tremendous success with Sonicaps or clarity caps. The resistors we recommend MILLS, vishay-mills 12 watt and use the same RESISTANCE value that is currently in the speaker.

Use the search fuction it should come back with many links of others projects

Fixed it for you
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    Thanks Dave ;) I forget that since Vishay bought out Mills I need to differentiate the two divisions.

I still had time so i fixed the "wattage" part.
    Been a very rough week on my end :'(
  • Auxient
    Auxient Posts: 15
    edited August 2018
    As for the capacitors we have had tremendous success with Sonicaps or Clarity caps. The resistors we recommend vishay-mills 12 watt and use the same resistance value that is currently in the speaker.

There are so many options for capacitors, I have no idea where to start lol.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Auxient wrote: »

You got 2 excellent suggestions, go with one or the other.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03

Oh really?
    Never mind then.

I feel like this came off kind of snarky. What I meant was “Oh, Really?
  • Auxient
    Auxient Posts: 15
    F1nut wrote: »
    Auxient wrote: »

You got 2 excellent suggestions, go with one or the other.

Yes, upon going to their respective websites, there appear to be several different lines and types of capacitors within each site....
  • pitdogg2
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited August 2018
    The 5Jr+ Series 2 have the 13.5 µF caps. I don't think Clarity makes one close to this size.

SonicCraft will do "customs" so you get the exact 13.5 µF Sonicap. That is what I did. I forget the exact method they say to do that, but you can contact them and they will walk you through it. It was daunting at first, but actually very easy. I believe you have to order the next size larger cap (for price only) and then specify the custom value you want. As I recall they only charged $1 extra, not the $2 price difference per cap. I also got a matched pair.

The 1Ω Mills resistor is only available in 10 Watt from SonicCraft which I think is the route to go and based on the input above. As I recall people prefer the original Mills over Vishay-Mills unless I got that backwards. Otherwise use the Vishay-Mills 12 Watt 1Ω resistor. Someone may chime in to clarify that.

The other thing I recommend is to roughly double the poly fill in the cabinet. One roll behind the tweeter and one roll partially unrolled just above the MW with the sheet behind the MW. Or if you find the fluffy poly fill, put that behind the tweeter and the partially unrolled sheet behind the MW. IMO they sound a little fuller and richer this way and the midrange sounds flatter.

While the RD-0198's will be about $100 with free shipping for the pair from Polk they sound WAAAAAYYYY better than the SL2500's. If money is tight, or you are not sure how much you want to invest in these, check for some SL3000's in the WTB section here. To me the SL2500's were the definition of blah.
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2018
    Personally I've noticed no difference between original mills and Vishay-mills. But yes if sonic craft does have original and the 10 watt should do fine. Mills i think has been sold a couple of times since 2009
    Vishay has been a well known resistor maker for a long time so i think they got this. Take your pick you'll be fine.
  • westmassguy
    edited August 2018
    You can also use two 6.8uf caps in parallel for 13.6uf, if you go with Clarity. I've not noticed any difference between Vishay-Mills, and Mills sound-wise either, and the 10 watt is double what's in there, so you're fine.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    TY @westmassguy . The Clarity PX come in 6.8 and two are less than one Sonicap. If going the Clarity route, 10 Watt Mundorf MOX resistors are also an option.
  • westmassguy
    edited August 2018
    pkquat wrote: »
    TY @westmassguy . The Clarity PX come in 6.8 and two are less than one Sonicap. If going the Clarity route, 10 Watt Mundorf MOX resistors are also an option.

MOX are very good. Get everything at Madisound
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Did mine with Clarity and loved the results.viy7s0g08h5b.jpg
    b3xf9wil2evg.jpg
    a68c1upqff7h.jpg
    xbwqur5mzq95.jpg
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable