Dared SL2000a Preamp

I sold this a while back to a member here who was getting a pretty loud hum/buzz through his system, so I took it back. I believe that it might have been an impedence mismatch or some kind of statement synergy issue with his other gear because after hooking it back up, it is silent. No hum, no buzz. I've tried it with a couple different amplifiers and sources to see if I could recreate the issue, and I have not been able to.

I have bought and sold and bought again a few of these units over the years, so I had lost track of which one this was. According to the most recent buyer, when he cracked it open, he discovered that it was the unit that had been upgraded by our very own George Daniels.

The unit will come with the remote, power cord, Brimar rectifier and a pair of Mullard and a pair of GE 12AT7 tubes.

$365 shipped via USPS priority mail.
i1jjdp00qyje.jpeg
jiw7tt9yohte.jpeg
8v6j226et7si.jpeg
2y706a0k34sn.jpeg
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
Thorens TD320
Modified Carver C-1
Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    This is a fantastic pre-amp. I really wanted to get it working right in my system. I've had issues with a hum using separates before, and some just seem worse than others. Travis went above and beyond in trying to help me resolve the issue, but we just couldn't get it working right in my system. He was kind enough to take the pre-amp back and refund me the purchase price. Buy from Travis with confidence!!

Other than the hum/buzz I had in my setup, the pre-amp was beautiful. It has a very warm sound and brought out details in music that I had not heard before. It is in immaculate condition, and the mods that George Daniel did are the bomb! He put some serious upgraded caps in this baby. I really wanted this to work for me, but I've decided to throw in the towel on separates.

Someone needs to jump on this! I'm certain now the issue was just in my setup. You'd be hard pressed to find a pre-amp of this caliber for a better price.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Does this have a remote?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    Yes it does ..and it even works!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Hell of a deal...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Here's the thread I found from back in 2011 when George modded this:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/121405/the-dared-sl-2000-modification-thread/p1

When I popped the bottom off, the Obligatto coupling caps were the dead giveaway that this was George's modded pre-amp.

Victor, I can attest to the fine functionality of the wooden remote (not the key fob plastic remote...). It's even RF, so I was able to adjust the volume from the other room!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Many of us have experienced this preamp, its great bang for the buck, easy to tube roll, and the rectifier tube gives it real nice soundstage and presence. If you're wishing to try a tube preamp this is an excellent choice for little coin. And already modded by George taking it to the next level. Mucho in the archives about this preamp, check it out.
  • trav0810
    I spent a lot of time last night switching back and forth between this preamp and my Audio Research LS 5. I was really surprised with how well the little Dared holds its own.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Yea I'd love to have it except everytime i open my wallet i hear taps playing....
    You don't even find them on eBay anymore.
  • trav0810
    With its popularity, I can't believe that Dared quit manufacturing it

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I'm in the same situation as Ivan. Even though the price on this is ridiculously good, the only thing in my audio wallet is dust. :/
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Obbligato's are nice. I have a pair here waiting to be installed in my Keces DAC I use in the office. I also have a pair of DEXA discrete op-amps for it.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Dared, mine was an early one with Auricaps. This one shouldn't be on here too long.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • trav0810
    halo wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation as Ivan. Even though the price on this is ridiculously good, the only thing in my audio wallet is dust. :/

I should have more restraint. but I have a bad habit of buying something that I really can't afford, then I have to sell other stuff too pay bills. LOL

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    I remember that mod,, one of the toughest that I have ever done,, but it brought it to a different level,, for the money,, this is a no brainer,,good luck with the sale,, bet it’s gone before the sunset!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    For the price and work that has been done, this is a great deal. If I didn't go powered on my main system with the KEF, I would have picked this up in a heartbeat.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • trav0810
    Sale Pending

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    The buyer will not be disappointed, I'm very surprised this unit lasted as long as it did. I found that my Dared responded extremely well to tube rolling, and the results of different holy grail tubes were quite dramatic in some cases.
  • trav0810
    I found it to be the exact same way. It responded better to tube rolling than any other piece of gear I have owned.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited August 2018
    Thank God!! In my present position I can't buy anything but I've owned one on three or four (lol) different occasions. Like has been said, great piece for the money.

Can't wait for the next one to come up for sale......

;)
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
  • trav0810
    SOLD!

Thanks Jake. I think you will really enjoy it.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • zingo
    Now I just need an amp as everything think I have is integrated... :p
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    zingo wrote: »

for now you can use one in HT pass through, if any have that
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

Got anything with pre out/main in jacks? ;)

"Chance favors the prepared mind."
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

No sweat I'll go to Travis0812 and pick it up and hold onto it until you get one.
    Thanks Jake
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    daboyz wrote: »
    Thank God!! In my present position I can't buy anything but I've owned one on three or four (lol) different occasions. Like has been said, great piece for the money.

Can't wait for the next one to come up for sale......

;)

I have yours and another one sitting on the shelf here. I really never used the 2 bought here on polk. I moved onto the Joule stuff quickly after purchasing.
  • trav0810

You an Adcom fan? I have a couple of those laying around.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I've always wanted to try one of these and I almost bit the bullet on this one. Truth is, I have no place to put it, but I'd really like to hear one in my system. One of these days maybe.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • trav0810
    The units are pretty nice out of the box. But the upgrades on this one made it a truly special unit. It performed so much above its price.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • zingo
    trav0810 wrote: »

You an Adcom fan? I have a couple of those laying around.

I am! What do you have and maybe we can make a deal... B)
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    DSkip wrote: »
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    I've always wanted to try one of these and I almost bit the bullet on this one. Truth is, I have no place to put it, but I'd really like to hear one in my system. One of these days maybe.

Get with Dennis. He has one.

Forgot about that. I think I was considering the one he bought. Likely anyway since I consider buying every one that pops up in the FM.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden