Disc versus Computer

13»

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    As recommended by Mojo Audio:

I connected the Quantum Byte via Ethernet and turned off the wireless (airplane mode). Then I reconnected JRiver Gizmo through my router.

Great listening session.

All the little things add up B)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    steveinaz wrote: »
    THIS thread is why I prefer an external usb hard drive plugged directly into my streaming device. Simple, noiseless, no Wi-Fi issues, no endless software configuration to ensure bit-bit accuracy, no dependence on network resources. When the Oppo dies, I'll get a Bluesound Node 2 and continue to march.

and FWIW, I found long ago that hard drive music sounded better to me, than from a CD player---both tested while connected to the same external DAC. Just MY 2 cents.

That's a good description of what happens when you start eliminating the noise in your signal. We like to talk about noise in audio signals in various forms, but what we mean is not noise like you hear when a fan kicks on.

You almost can't identify the noise, until you hear your music without it. It embeds itself as part of the music that you become accustomed to hearing. Once you start eliminating it, you'll hear a more defined musical presentation. You'll be able to hear deeper into the musical background. Sounds will burst out from a totally black, silent background too.

I can see why Steve prefers the route he took.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Absolute_Zero
    Absolute_Zero Posts: 72
    edited August 2018
    It shouldn't be that hard to get uncompromising audio out of a PC. Windows or Linux.

My Intel NUC Runs Windows 10 Pro, ran msconfig, and disabled everything there that wasn't needed. Did the same in the services control panel.

Next I setup WASAPI for Exclusive Mode.

Use HQ Player and let it do all the DSP/Convolution instead of my Topping DX7.

Rip CD's Exact Audio Copy for Rips.

Everything is stored on a NAS and I use WiFi.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the type of noise we are discussing here isn't the type that manifests itself into a "static hiss". It's not something that is audible during regular listening, but once it's removed, then you have the realization that it's no longer there.

@F1nut @DSkip @pitdogg2 @tonyb - did I just describe that correctly?
    This I can almost agree with, but clarifying the noise isn’t transferred with the digital file, but from the physical connection from the pc. However IF there is any noise present it would only be a slight static hiss that couldn’t be heard unless your ears were right next to the tweets. So the effect described in your post overstates the issue as this can’t be heard during playback and shouldn’t make the distinction from decent sound to great sound.
    Also this type of noise is noticed with many other sources an individual may be using, so it isn’t specific to the pc. As you stated WiFi eliminates this physical connection so yes streamers can have that advantage. But I will tell you my dedicated laptop has no such issues transferring static over the USB and it’s a straight off the shelf upper tier VAIO from 5 years ago. My tweets are dead silent between tracks.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the type of noise we are discussing here isn't the type that manifests itself into a "static hiss". It's not something that is audible during regular listening, but once it's removed, then you have the realization that it's no longer there.

@F1nut @DSkip @pitdogg2 @tonyb - did I just describe that correctly?

Bingo! It's called the noise floor.
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    There are a couple issues with dirty USB power carrying your digital info to a DAC. One is jitter and another is packet noise in the USB receiver of the DAC. Thus you can affect sound output of a DAC with poor USB input. The more processing to determine the bits, the more noise is generated. Like it or not, that’s the truth.

YES and Rich said it best