Pass Labs INT-250

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,557
I've been interested in the Pass Labs INT-250 since I saw it in use in one of my favorite rooms at CAS 8.

https://www.passlabs.com/amplifier/int-250

INT-250_front_bw.jpg

It retails for $12k and there's also a 60wpc version, the INT-60 that goes for $9k. It would be interesting to A/B them and see how they compare.

Anyway, one of the things I noticed about the room that the INT-250 was in was this unmistakably lush and vivid soundstage that was being presented. I've never experienced anything like it, and I've been wondering if it was the gorgeous Dynaudio Contour 60 speakers, or the INT-250 driving them that was contributing to this extremely pleasurable aural sensation. Or maybe a winning combination of them both together.

I just came across this detailed review of the INT-250: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/pass-labs-int-250-integrated-amplifier/

A few things jumped out at me that I'll highlight here:

"In sonic performance, the INT-250 is a thoroughly modern amplifier with effortless dynamics at the micro and macro levels, an ultra-wide bandwidth, superb low-end control and grip, and effortless highs. The orchestral soundstage is as expansive and dimensional as I’ve experienced in a solid-state amplifier—or a tube one, for that matter. Both the Vandersteen Treo CT (reviewed in Issue 262) and the ATC SCM20-2SL, and later, the new B&W 805 D3 (review forthcoming) simply opened up, became less of a localized source, and in many instances virtually disappeared from the listening space. In fact, the Pass is so open and holographically transparent that it encourages the listener to consider getting up and taking a walk through the orchestra—and dispensing some high-fives to the conductor along the way."

"That’s not to say the INT-250 is characterless. Actually it’s the amp’s lush, Falstaffian midrange that overcame my critic’s ear, occasionally freezing my pen midsentence as waves of nostalgia caused me to think back to my earliest experiences with iconic high-end amplifiers such as the ARC D150. (What an amp with the original Magneplanar Tympani 1D!) But its rose-gold signature sound was not due to deviations from accuracy, but rather to the strapping power and fluidity that come from its canny balance of Class A bias and Class AB output. The INT-250 might invite comparisons to tube amps, but only in the sense that, like every Pass amp I’ve heard, there are strong whiffs of the warmth and harmonic bloom of the actual event. But then there was also the very un-tube-like “management and control” aspect that produced explosive bass dynamics and supported images on an unyielding foundation in an impeccably delineated stage."

So, if I am interpreting the reviewer's descriptions correctly, he seems to be touching on some of the same audible sensations that I experienced. Namely the lush quality to the sound, as well as what I perceived as a rich "tube-like" characteristic. Also, it's somewhat amusing to think about having 250wpc on tap but only using a small fraction of that! But, if it's immense power reserves are a contributing factor to it's performance, then I'm all for it.

Anyway, no real point to this post other than to maybe get some discussion started about these Pass Labs integrated amplifiers. I'm not sure I'll ever be be able to afford one, but who knows.

Comments

• Clipdat
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    12K... :o

Come on Lottery numbers! :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Yeah, seriously. I guess you pay a bit of a premium tax for the fact that it's built in the USA.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2018
    You pay a premium for QUALITY... tax is just a fact of life. Pass gear is heirloom stuff that lasts longer than you will. That's why it has been my preamp for a few years now and not leaving any time soon.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Hey John, I also heard the Pass Labs XA25 at the show powering the Zu speakers and they were sounding great. 25wpc pure class A!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    In with 32. Thanks.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Yeah, seriously. I guess you pay a bit of a premium tax for the fact that it's built in the USA.

Has very little to with it. Pass is like Ferrari. You want some of the best stuff around, you gotta pay. It's low volume, well vetted, leading edge, and high quality gear. The R & D could take up to a couple years before it's ready for the consumer, and it's bullet proof so it will be able to be passed on to the next generation. And yes, his staff can afford a nice living and a good health plan, etc. By no means are they making tons and tons of money at the volume of these sales. Even NP isn't rich by American Company owner standards. I'd be surprised if Pass Labs pays him more than $150-200K a year.

They charge what they need to charge to ensure the company stays healthy and the workers can make a good living. More American companies should operate this way.

He also generously shares most of his designs with the DIY community as well is available for questions, tutorials and even conducts workshops.

Does this look like a guy who cares about money?

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/nelson-pass-four-decades-of-innovation/

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    Thanks for the insight. I don't know too much about their company, so I'm learning more as I research their gear and read reviews. Thanks for the link!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The IEC socket is out of kilter.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    What do you mean?

pl_int250_rear.jpg
    F1nut wrote: »

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Who's Nelson Pass???
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Who's Nelson Pass???

Some hack...probably.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • F1nut
    edited August 2018
    What do you mean?

pl_int250_rear.jpg

It isn't level, dips down to the left. I know how OCD you are, so I'm surprised you missed that.

Another thing I noticed, the RCA jacks are put in willy-nilly.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    edited August 2018
    I'll reserve judgement on the fit and finish until I see it up close in person. Hard to tell much from that blurry marketing photo on their website.

Also, it could be an "engineering sample" that they photographed. Hard to say if it's representative of shipping units. I guess I'll just have to drive up there and bang on their door!
  • Clipdat
    Also for $12k, is a built in phono stage too much to ask for?

....Apparently yes
  • Clipdat
    Nice! I hear Pass Labs is hiring.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Falstaffian imaging.
    I don't know what to make of that.

That said, I guess it might throw a Brobdingnagian soundstage, too?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    The best thing about Nelson Pass (besides, perhaps, the epochal Threshold Stasis amplifiers of the 1970s): https://www.passdiy.com/

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That is one stunning amp.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Who's Nelson Pass???
    Kyle Gass.
    I disabled signatures.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    RCA jacks installed by me, all nice and uniform.

re8i325y5l66.jpg

And that IEC socket looks like some work even Mr. Nilly would be proud of!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    My dad had a pair of mono blocks a few years ago that he had purchased used.

One of the mono blocks stopped working, after sending the unit back to pass labs, they determined a transformer had gone bad. One they determined that, they decided that the unit should have lasted longer and fixed it for free. My dad paid freight both ways, stellar products and great customer service.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    RCA jacks installed by me, all nice and uniform.

re8i325y5l66.jpg

And that IEC socket looks like some work even Mr. Nilly would be proud of!

LOL.....thanks.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2018
    Also for $12k, is a built in phono stage too much to ask for?

....Apparently yes

If you can afford 12k for this, you can spare another 10k for the matching phono stage...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson