Audioquest Type 4 Trial

Hello,

I picked some AQ Type 4 from CL for cheap. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182514/audioquest-type-4-cl-score#latest

well I haven't had time at home to hook them up and see how good they are. After reading a bit on test I decided to take them to work. I have one hooked to the left speaker, right speaker is Monoprice 14awg. I can't turn it up past -20db but so far about 15 people have commented that the stereo sounds different. Only one said the right sounds better, "it's brighter".

From what I've noticed is these took the harsh out of the RTi4 I have in here. Bass is a little tighter with an overall smoother sound.

More to come on these
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    After 8 hours of use at work yes these are a far better cable. A couple that come through the warehouse stopped and asked if I had new speakers.

Now time to put them in the home HT :)
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    They didn't take the harsh out, they are playing all the other frequencies you where missing. They are a well balanced cable, thats why they sound better then the other wire.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Good cable indeed. I have like 6 pairs of them Type 4.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    mantis wrote: »
    They didn't take the harsh out, they are playing all the other frequencies you where missing. They are a well balanced cable, thats why they sound better then the other wire.

Why you gotta be harshing his mellow? :p
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    I've been running a set of AQ Type 4 for years and years in my rig. Very satisfied with them. Haven't felt a burning need to upgrade.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • mrloren
    Happy Saturday,

I swapped out my Furez for the Type 4 the other day. I've had some decent listening time on them. It's a pain in the --- to change any cable on my main HT but I got it done correctly.

I find them to be a very nice cable a step up from the Furez I was using. Everything is just a tad more clear. It's not the night and day difference I experienced at work going from the Monoprice 14AWG but there is improvement.

My $90 10AWG Furez build is a darn good Cable from Doug. These will replace the Monoprice in my bedroom HT. Are these Type 4 a retail worth the extra cost over the Furez? No. At the low cost I got these Type 4 at it's an OH YES 100% worth it.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Sounds like you had a similar experience that I just did going from Monoprice 14ga to Audioquest Type 2! Very cool.

Glad you're enjoying them and congrats on the great deal you got!
    mrloren wrote: »
    Hello,

I picked some AQ Type 4 from CL for cheap. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182514/audioquest-type-4-cl-score#latest

well I haven't had time at home to hook them up and see how good they are. After reading a bit on test I decided to take them to work. I have one hooked to the left speaker, right speaker is Monoprice 14awg. I can't turn it up past -20db but so far about 15 people have commented that the stereo sounds different. Only one said the right sounds better, "it's brighter".

From what I've noticed is these took the harsh out of the RTi4 I have in here. Bass is a little tighter with an overall smoother sound.

More to come on these

• mrloren
    I had a good day on the stereo today.

I'm completing a woodwork project so I get two hours between Poly coats. Wife and kids were gone too so up went that volume knob.

I got to crank up and play in the -10db range

Pink Floyd Wish you were here,, gee I wish I had the SACD of this one.
    Queensrych Empire
    Yes Big genator
    and Dire Straits greatest hits.

What I can say is this cable adds a presences of clarity to my system never heard before. A step up on detail.

Some like to say cables don't matter, I use to say that all I need is Monoprice... Not any more.

Nice to have a day off and just turn it up.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Home equity loan = high end cables.

Whatcha going to get?
  • mrloren

rpf65 wrote: »
    Home equity loan = high end cables.

Whatcha going to get?

Oh no, not my retirement nest egg.

I picked up the type 4 from a great CL deal. All 3 for $50. I enjoying these cables a lot. I already slowly changed out all my HDMI to AQ so no more cables for now.

I am enjoying my system right now a lot. When I do make changes or upgrades it's cash only no credit. Hence why I don't have a big boy amp.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707

I'm completing a woodwork project so I get two hours between Poly coats. Wife and kids were gone too so up went that volume knob.

Queensrych Empire
    Yes Big genator

What I can say is this cable adds a presences of clarity to my system never heard before. A step up on detail.

Some like to say cables don't matter, I use to say that all I need is Monoprice... Not any more.

The original Mastersound gold CD of WYWH is better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    F1nut wrote: »

Queensrych Empire
    Yes Big genator

The original Mastersound gold CD of WYWH is better.

Err and I didn't get those when I worked at Sony why?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Couldn't figure out a way to secure them without them falling down your pant legs?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    msg wrote: »
    Couldn't figure out a way to secure them without them falling down your pant legs?

oh no, If I remember correctly, they were a lot of $$$ even at employee cost as with SACD's. My WYWH disc is the 1992 remaster release. Not a bad CD.
  • mrloren
    Hello,

Just an update on these Type 4 cables.

I've enjoyed the improvements they made to my system a lot. Everything is a lot more detailed. Movie is not so much but put on a good CD and it a wow so much more refined detail. Bad part is a bad recording really shows up now.

I just completed a woodwork project that I was given a nice Amazon gift card for. I went and got new ones and put these used ones in my bedroom HT. What a total joy these are.
  • msg
    That's awesome, Loren.
    Don't you have a daughter with an ear, too?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    That's awesome, Loren.
    Don't you have a daughter with an ear, too?

Yes I do, She likes the improvement too. My wife keeps looking for what I changed, she says she doesn't see anything new but it sounds a lot better.

The Furez was a step up from Monoprice, Audioquest Type 4 is a jump up from the Furez.
  • msg
    Yeah, I thought I remembered you mentioning something about your daughter asking you about a change she heard. I was wondering whether they noticed.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Yes I do, She likes the improvement too. My wife keeps looking for what I changed, she says she doesn't see anything new but it sounds a lot better.
    She probably thinks you bought a new amp and are hiding it B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    She probably thinks you bought a new amp and are hiding it B)

Funny, After a movie she was looking at the TV stand, asked me what did I replace. Then she was looking behind the stand
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    LOL, sounds like what my wife would do.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    ^ Definitely on drugs ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    ^ Definitely on drugs ^

Nope not me, just breathing the SoCal air...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    BartDaws wrote: »
    ^ Definitely on drugs ^

"Very Funny" would have been adequate there big boy.

That would require something actually being funny. :) Except nobody has any idea what your referencing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    tonyb wrote: »
    BartDaws wrote: »
    ^ Definitely on drugs ^

"Very Funny" would have been adequate there big boy.

That would require something actually being funny. :) Except nobody has any idea what your referencing.

yjo6czgib9cc.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I own various audioquest speaker cables. I'm currently running my entire Atmos system off Rock 44.
    I also have Rocket 33's just chillin which are a really nice cables. I got a few pairs of them.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.