BREAKING: I’m a Proud Papa

stretchl
stretchl Posts: 1,334
9rnb4eum2vcs.jpeg

Have been in a long swing though Chicago to Richmond to Asheville and, finally, before returning home to Champaign today, detoured over to St. Charles, MO, where I picked up this stunningly beautiful piece of equipment. Will follow up with more details once I get it fired up, but it auditioned like nothing I’ve ever heard before. Final sale price was $1500 minus the Black Fuse. I’m a happy camper.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
Cabling by Groneberg
Visuals
https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited July 2018
    Nice score. Why'd you decide to purchase it without the fuse, assuming that you heard it demoed with it in place?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited July 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice score. Why'd you decide to purchase it without the fuse, assuming that you heard it demoed with it in place?

The list price on the page said $1875, so I’m gonna assume that the fuse was aftermarket, and he had the previous owner switch the fuse out to save $$$.
    Nice find!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Some day in the far, far future, I have to try an audiophile fuse. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    BlueFox wrote: »

OOOH, OOOOH... LET'S get Joey! He tries EVERYTHING!!!! :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    I thought he ate everything, but then I remembered it was Mikey. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CLQ0LZSnJFE

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • stretchl
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The list price on the page said $1875, so I’m gonna assume that the fuse was aftermarket, and he had the previous owner switch the fuse out to save $$$.
    Nice find!

Exactly. Though...

The seller turned out to be a great guy. After we listened to the piece in his system (which blew me away, but that’s another thread when I’m not on my mobile) and we opened up the chassis, we got down to vis-a-vis payment, etc.

“So this must be your lucky day,” he says. “I had another Synergistic fuse, a Blue, laying around so since I have the Black I’ll throw in the Blue.”

I have no idea if I’ll be able to hear it (I’ve added a Modwright BDP-105 to the system recently so with the Joule going online also who’s going to know what change is coming from where...), but I thought the guy did me a solid by throwing it in.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Used love my old Jolida. When I actually became a papa I got rid of mine fearing kids would burn themselves. Too many babies around for me to worry about burns. SS FTW for me.
  • BlueFox
    Since it won’t work without a fuse, I agree he did good by including it. :)

Enjoy your gear.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Congrats!!! Nice preamp!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Congrats, fine piece of kit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited July 2018
    BlueFox wrote: »

I have "Audiofile fuses" installed in all of my equipment, (mostly Hi-Fi Tuning fuses) and in my experience they make a difference; Particularly in the clarity and detail parts of the audio.

Also congratulations on the Joule.
    Post edited by headrott on
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Looks just like you! Congrats
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Clickbait. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • stretchl
    headrott wrote: »
    I have "Audiofile fuses" installed in all of my equipment, (mostly Hi-Fi Tuning fuses) and in my experience they make a difference.

I’m skeptical and I’d never have paid for one outright, but I’m looking forward to an A/B test on my system.

I’ve not had a chance to hook anything up yet, as 12 days on the road leads directly to quality time with my daughter with no detour to the hifi. :)
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals