Officially a licensed driver!!

2»

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited July 2018
    Congrats on being born on a most excellent day, you are in very refined company.... :D

Oh and good luck with the car search, and the advice to take a driving course is spot on.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    5 mph under is fine as long as you aren't that guy in the fast lane going slow :)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    5 mph under is fine as long as you aren't that guy in the fast lane going slow :)

Definitely will not be in the fast lane. :)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    5 MPH UNDER ?? Here in Chicago, on the expressways.....that will get you killed even in the slow lane.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • quickr1
    quickr1 Posts: 414
    tonyb wrote: »
    5 MPH UNDER ?? Here in Chicago, on the expressways.....that will get you killed even in the slow lane.
    You got that right! Even doing 75-80 in a 55 will get you run over most of the time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    quickr1 wrote: »
    You got that right! Even doing 75-80 in a 55 will get you run over most of the time.

Even Gma knows how to put the peddle to the metal up there :p and show you are still number 1
  • mlistens03
    Well I’m glad I don’t live in Chicago. :lol:
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616

Unless it's between the hours of 6am - 7pm, then you'll just be stuck in traffic the whole time ;):p
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    I can just see you driving now...your car will look similar to this.

lm9y5en5nyb1.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Here in Illinois, we speed, and can't afford to fix roads....so we just put up signs everywhere.

LOL that's a good one.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • halo
    Sometimes the best defense is a good offense...
    n65chqvfukhp.jpeg

HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Get a simple car Toyota, Nissan or Honda.

We got our son a Nissan Sentra for his first car. He didn't like it "Dad it's a chick car". I told him to get a job. He has a job now and a 2014 BMW 328i. He's paying for it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Wow you are a pup but this is awesome! :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited July 2018
    If you like to or prefer to do work/maintenance yourself, there is NOTHING easier to cut your teeth on than a Festy. EVERY car has it's quirks and the Festiva is no exception, but when you can easily manhandle a transmission or short block, the rest of the car is a breeze.... That's what you get when the curb weight is under 1900 lbs. :D I've worked on just about everything out there under 100k, nothing is easier.

Then there's the 4 star side impact rating (tied a Volvo of the same year)

Then there's the mods.... Almost unlimited.

Oh, and if airbags are a must, the Ford Aspire is the same car in a bubble wrapper with better brakes. Only downside: there's a weight penalty.

Edit for stupid auto fill....
  • mlistens03
    mrloren wrote: »
    Get a simple car Toyota, Nissan or Honda.

We got our son a Nissan Sentra for his first car. He didn't like it "Dad it's a chick car". I told him to get a job. He has a job now and a 2014 BMW 328i. He's paying for it.
    This is the plan! I was hoping to find a 90s Civic or something, although it may be hard to find one that isn’t vibrant green and sounds like a weak lawnmower. :lol::lol::lol:
    FestYboy wrote: »
    If you like to or prefer to do work/maintenance yourself, there is NOTHING easier to cut your teeth on than a Festy. EVERY car has it's quirks and the Festiva is no exception, but when you can easily manhandle a transmission or short block, the rest of the car is a breeze.... That's what you get when the curb weight is under 1900 lbs. :D I've worked on just about everything out there under 100k, nothing is easier.

Then there's the 4 star side impact rating (tied a Volvo of the same year)

Then there's the mods.... Almost unlimited.

Oh, and if airbags are a must, the Ford Aspire is the same car in a bubble wrapper with better brakes. Only downside: there's a weight penalty.

Edit for stupid auto fill....

Are there no airbags in the Festiva? If that’s the case, I’ll move up to the Aspire. Especially if it has better brakes.
    Or maybe I could find a used Volvo, they are the name of the game in safety, right?

I don’t know how to pull a transmission or engine (or really anything), but with a little bit of research, I’m sure I could figure it out easily enough. Once I have the know-how, I think I’ll be able to remove it for sure. Not lacking in the strength department here, I can carry my LSis around with (relative) ease.
    Micah
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    No airbags in early 90 Hondas either... Don't let that scare you off though as early systems did more harm than good as they were too powerful and could activate (or not) at the wrong time. Best way to stay safe is spatial awareness and being in a proper seating position with a properly tensioned seatbelt. I've been in more than a few cars that could seriously injure the driver if deployed because they're already eating the steering wheel (way too close).

Just like when riding a bike or motorcycle, you must be defensive AND offensive at the same time. Always have an out. Know your vehicle and its limits and learn to use them.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    My 95 Civic has airbags. Tires are $50, gas is $15-20 a tank, everything on it is cheap to replace when it actually breaks which is not often with a manual transmission. Best tank of gas so far was 72mpg drafting a semi (I talked to him at the rest stop and asked first) with no electric motors or batteries. Good car for someone without a lot of money who wants to spend it on other things.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited July 2018
    Crikey!! Clear the streets!
  • mlistens03
    lightman1 wrote: »

To be honest, don’t worry about me, because I’ve got 3 friends who should be reason enough to never go within 500 feet of any road again. :wink:
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    mlistens03 wrote: »

To be honest, don’t worry about me, because I’ve got 3 friends who should be reason enough to never go within 500 feet of any road again. :wink:

WAIT YOU HAVE FRIENDS.....???? Mind blown :p:p:p:p:D:D:D
  • mlistens03
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

WAIT YOU HAVE FRIENDS.....???? Mind blown :p:p:p:p:D:D:D

Ouch. :wink:
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Micah, considering your interest in The Beatles, you might enjoy the mockumentary "The Rutles". :p

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077147/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rutles
  • mlistens03
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Micah, considering your interest in The Beatles, you might enjoy the mockumentary "The Rutles". :p

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077147/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rutles

To be honest, I think that’s pretty awesome. I would absolutely watch that, and listen to their music from time to time.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    To be honest, I think that’s pretty awesome. I would absolutely watch that, and listen to their music from time to time.

Here's the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFPgs4cT47E
  • mlistens03
    ^^^
    Thanks! I will watch that later! :grin:
  • halo
    FestYboy wrote: »
    If you like to or prefer to do work/maintenance yourself, there is NOTHING easier to cut your teeth on than a Festy.

You don’t think that an air cooled VW Beetle or Minibus would be easier to work on? Plenty of mods available too!