THE OPPO HAS LANDED

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,031
Hello all,
It came today and I already Installed it into my rack, setup and testing on the way.
Now to decide what will be the first movie or Disc I put in her. Probably gonna test some SACD DVD AUDIO for fun, then tonight Rock Tome Raider as I just picked that up this weekend.
Review to come after a good amount of testing and comparing it to the X700
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mantis
    3xc0xesjomek.jpg
    06trygzq6ulk.jpg
    rtfthcu3bp3l.jpg
    ou80hol8i9s2.jpg
    ak9tba01f7er.jpg
    Dan
  • mantis
    alunrmv0grwj.jpg
    glsmrgqew6i6.jpg
    a6j919kitusd.jpg
    t2abfetyoq93.jpg
    uwpvhom55yi5.jpg
    uvmut71wagmo.jpg
    Dan
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Christmas in July strikes again, congrats on the score. :)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mantis
    I didn't think I was gonna get one which is why I picked up the Sony X700 to hold me over. I know Pioneer Elite is coming out with a Dolby Vision Universal Disc Player later this year and I may have to grab that 2.
    Dan
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Congratulations on getting that 205.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited July 2018
    And here I sit with 4 OPPO players.. :p

Dan I am looking forward to your thoughts on this unit...
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Congrats! Nice set-up!

Is that how Oppo uses a background for it's onscreen menu? The milky way?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mantis
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Congratulations on getting that 205.
    I wish but I got the 203 bud. Thanks.

Dan
  • mantis
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    And here I sit with 4 OPPO players.. :p

Dan I am looking forward to your thoughts on this unit...
    Early thoughts it's awesome. I ran Pacific Rim so far along with Diana krill SACD and man what a player so far. I'm so into it.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Tony M wrote: »
    Congrats! Nice set-up!

Is that how Oppo uses a background for it's onscreen menu? The milky way?
    Every single menu item is a different back ground.
    y5riipom33ar.jpg
    6xkmivobuh33.jpg
    k19o16i84jor.jpg
    b6ok3edpffhs.jpg
    bbc72m7c7040.jpg
    qwrz07ez15ju.jpg
    jzf9qkjjwrgg.jpg
    Dan
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Gosh i have not even hooked my 205 to a TV yet....
    Wonder what the menu even looks like.
  • mantis
    Send it this way, I'll do a shootout between the 205 and 203 and I'll even throw in the X700 Sony for the sheer hell of it. Then I can show you what the menu's look like and tell you all about it.
    Dan
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I suspect the video menus between the 203 and 205 are the same, since the circuitry is the same. I have never played a music disc in any of my Oppos; 83, 93, 103, and 203 (2).
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mantis
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I suspect the video menus between the 203 and 205 are the same, since the circuitry is the same. I have never played a music disc in any of my Oppos; 83, 93, 103, and 203 (2).
    Really? It's 50% of the reason I wanted to get one.
    Dan
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Dan, unrelated question.... Those MA500's driving your L/R I take it? Why no amp for your center as well?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mantis
    Dan, unrelated question.... Those MA500's driving your L/R I take it? Why no amp for your center as well?
    I have 5 of those amps so I could easily power the normal 5 channel system and allow the receiver to power the Atmos speakers. I wanted to see if I was gonna lose dynamics going from internally powering the Def Tech system to also driving the Atmos speakers. Now that everything is setup and calibrated I can switch back and forth to see if I lose power. The Marantz Mono's are real nice and smooth. Very Musical amps. I really like them. I use to use 4 of them for speakers in my garage and Deck but never really paid any attention on how good or bad those Mono's are.
    I may bring up the other 3 and try them out for the fun of it.
    Dan
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Gotcha. Makes sense to me. I'm never giving up my B&K 200.5 from my rack, even though I'm looking to get 99db 8 ohm efficient DIY speakers in the future. The extra overhead for dynamic passages and the ability to use the AVR to run whatever else I want will be nice.

But back to Oppo related stuff
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mantis
    Dude I'd love to get my hands on another Ref200.7. I had one years ago and sold it like a fool.
    Dan
  • mantis
    *UPDATE*
    So I have been playing with the Oppo 203 since I got it. Man let me tell you this player is flat out AMAZING. No matter what I run in it it performs above my expectations. I can see why they are rated the best out there and Saddens me that they are no longer producing new models. This is it, how sad.
    Today I ran some High Rez Music files from a USB drive and it's just incredible. I'm really loving the menu system, the control, even the factory remote which I have Total Control programed to control it but I was fooling around with the factory remote and even that is better then expected.
    Man I can't find anything I don't like about it anywhere. Even the cost is exceptional. This player easily could have been a Grand and I would have paid it due to it's level of performance.
    I also ran many HDR and Dolby Vision Disc's and WOW my Sony Z9D looks incredible. I can safely say this thing destroys the Sony X700. Yes completely unfair but I expected the same level of video performance but got an even clearer more defined picture. I run all Audioquest wiring on it including a X3 Power cord, HDMI Carbon and a Cinnamon Ethernet cat 7 cable.

Guys if your not on the list, get on it. This is your last chance to own one of these bad boys. If Oppo sends me an email about the 205, I'm gonna buy that 2. Why not right? Then I can put this one in my bedroom, get a Sony OLED and rock 4k in there as well.
    I'm back full force into my system , upgrading and exploring.
    Dan
  • mantis
    I think a Loreena Mckennitt marathon is in order here.
    Dan
  • Anyone know when they’re going to ship the second batch Of 205’s
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    When they are ready.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ronster267
    Ronster267 Posts: 60
    I was lucky enough to buy a Oppo UDP-203 in November. I am so glad I did. My LG 65C7P came bundled with a "Dolby Vision" 4k player that was garbage. The OPPO is everything anyone could hope for in a player minus the extras the 205 has. I had a chance to pick up a 205 when they did the first extra run, but couldn't justify the money at the time. If they do another run I think I will pull the trigger!
  • mantis
    The 205 is good for people who are going to use the analog outs. If not the 203 is everything you need.
    Dan
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited July 2018
    mantis wrote: »
    alunrmv0grwj.jpg
    glsmrgqew6i6.jpg
    a6j919kitusd.jpg
    t2abfetyoq93.jpg
    uwpvhom55yi5.jpg
    uvmut71wagmo.jpg
    me LOVE your equipment rack and have similar taste in power conditioning.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mantis
    I took all the door off when I did the Install and didn't put them back on right away. I usually have all 3 doors on.
    I've used APC on and off for decades now. I get something else, I try it out, I go back to APC all the time. I use to run a S-15 which is the big boy battery back up but really have no good reason to have a Battery for the system. I do have a Total Control Processor in there but It's not like control 4 where unplugging it could lock it up so I'm good for now with the APC H-15. I'm probably gonna get a Surge X or Furman next.
    Dan
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Sorry for the cont’d derail but the rack... ...custom or retail?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    gp4jesus wrote: »

Looks like a Salamander Synergy Series Maple/aluminum
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • mantis
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    No worries on my threads I'm cool with talking about all things audio video my friend.
    As said above it's made by Salamander. I have owned it for 16 years and it's still in beautiful condition.
    https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/av-cabinets/synergy-model-237/
    I also have the Saturn Wheels and Black Mesh side panels. It came with leveling feet and Maple Side panels.
    Dan