Found a pair of 3.1tl's

kmeek
kmeek Posts: 225
edited July 2018 in Vintage Speakers
OK long story short last week I bought a pair of 3.1tl's. The oak cabinets were dryer then a bone and the left SL3000 Tweeter was out. Immediately ordered the RD0 replacements and did much needed cabinet rejuvenation and dusting. The tweeters just came in and I replaced them out. Finally able to audition them proper.......... OMG!!!!!! I am in love!!

Why didn't you tell me??? LOL... :)

teiszk6hxddd.jpg

jb43qyapz0as.jpg

34cy77l4vfcj.jpg

m4niiolnuwt0.jpg

Comments

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    F1nut wrote: »
    The wood is supposed to be dry, it's dead.

Like you?
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited July 2018
    @kmeek
    I was already happy as a piggitty with mine. Then I joined the last group buy for 1000 VA isolation transformer and went down the rabbit hole and went all in with Larry's rings( @Toolfan66 ) and transformer case. As well as some black hole 5 and new crossovers and wires from @VR3
    Now I am in heaven!!!
    These were truly the missing link in the SDA lineup.
    Not too big like their larger brethren and still capable of some deep and tight bass as well as a rock solid center image. They STILL produce a HUGE sound stage depending on the electronics you feed them with.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    That's a great looking pair you've turned them into! Congrats on the find!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Those are in great looking shape. You would have wanted to replace the tweeters anyway, so be happy you bought the RD0's. Glad you are liking these excellent speakers. (Continue to) Enjoy.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • mn_polk_guy
    mn_polk_guy Posts: 102
    Those are sweet B) wish I could find a pair of 3.1s
    Monitor 4.6, 5jr, 5, 7, 10, 11. RTA 8TL. RTA 11T. SDA 2B.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Congrats on your 3.1's! After owning many different models of SDA's, the 3.1's are my reference.

Upgrade those x-overs with premium components and hear what they are truly capable of.

Enjoy!
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Congrats - I've owned all kinds of speakers and the more I hear, the more I realize the 3.1TLs are a really special treat.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • kmeek
    F1nut wrote: »
    The wood is supposed to be dry, it's dead.

Yeah but they were like Petrified Forest dead!!! :p

By the way the RD0's are breaking in very nicely......

Now for the upgrades......... :D
  • kmeek
    @kmeek
    I was already happy as a piggitty in some shiggitty with mine. Then I joined the last group buy for 1000 VA isolation transformer and went down the rabbit hole and went all in with Larry's rings( @Toolfan66 ) and transformer case. As well as some black hole 5 and new crossovers and wires from @VR3
    Now I am in heaven!!!
    Not too big like their larger brethren and still capable of some deep and tight bass as well as a rock solid center image. They STILL produce a HUGE sound stage depending on the electronics you feed them with.

@honestaquarian, Yes fortunately or unfortunately I have 4 pair of speakers that I want to "go down the rabbit hole with". I am starting to accumulate upgrade parts. I have Larry's rings for 1/2 of them. Got in on the 1000va transformer (and had built an 800va just before the group buy came up). I am thinking about tackling the 3.1's first since they are the smallest of the 4 and I would think might be a little easier to upgrade before having to man handle the big boys..... :)
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited July 2018
    kmeek wrote: »
    @kmeek
    I was already happy as a piggitty in some shiggitty with mine. Then I joined the last group buy for 1000 VA isolation transformer and went down the rabbit hole and went all in with Larry's rings( @Toolfan66 ) and transformer case. As well as some black hole 5 and new crossovers and wires from @VR3
    Now I am in heaven!!!

@honestaquarian, Yes fortunately or unfortunately I have 4 pair of speakers that I want to "go down the rabbit hole with". I am starting to accumulate upgrade parts. I have Larry's rings for 1/2 of them. Got in on the 1000va transformer (and had built an 800va just before the group buy came up). I am thinking about tackling the 3.1's first since they are the smallest of the 4 and I would think might be a little easier to upgrade before having to man handle the big boys..... :)

Easy IS NOT a word that I would apply to doing these upgrades. It took me months to do mine. Feel free to look over my SDA upgrade thread.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2018
    LOL.....it takes hours not months.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited July 2018
    those look fantastic ..
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Nice.......
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Drahthaar
    Drahthaar Posts: 48
    Great find. If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for them.
  • kmeek
    edited July 2018
    Drahthaar wrote: »
    Great find. If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for them.

@Drahthaar, He was asking $400 (the guy got them free! Abandoned in a house he was hired to clean out. That my friends was the truly lucky ****!!! :p )

He took $360.00 for them and would not budge any lower then that (I tried....). No interconnect cable and one Tweeter was not working.......
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    Those are sweet B) wish I could find a pair of 3.1s

There's been a pair in Dallas for sale for a while now that can be had for around $500 that need tweeters. And "NO" I'm not the seller trying to beat the 100 posts rule. They're on OfferUp for $650 but the seller dropped to $500 in first reply when I inquired about them. Might go lower now since they've been on there so long.
  • mn_polk_guy
    edited July 2018
    Ive seen a couple pairs in texas. That would be a long haul from minneapolis. But ive thought about it. Ive been hoping to find. A closer pair.
  • mn_polk_guy
    Someone near me scored 2.3tls for 400 bucks near me about a month ago. I just missed em.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    ^ and I still hate you for that >:)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Any updates?

Yeah, still haven't found a set.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.