Jappenese SHM CD what format is this?

gudnoyez
gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
edited July 2018 in Music & Movies
Just preordered the new Boz Scaggs Out Of The Blue for 35 bones, thinking it is a SACD, come to find out it's a SHM CD from Japan what's the difference between a redbook CD and one of these SHM CDs out of Japan?
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The SHM stands for Super Hard Material meaning the disc material is different than a regular CD. It's said to be clearer allowing the laser to read the pits better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Jesse I almost canceled the order when I found out it was not a SACD, but figured what the heck it may be from a different mastering than the one used on the redbook version, plus the redbook releases this week the SHM releases a couple of weeks later. Do you own any SHM CD's and if so what are your thoughts if you were able to ever compare between Redbook, SHM CD, or SHM SACD, from the same recording?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Jesse owns quite a few SHM CD’s and SHM SACD’s, I love my SHM collection, AJA on SHM SACD is incredible, I also prefer my Led Zeppelin Box Set on SHM CD over the new remasters Jimmy Page released over the past couple years..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Like all formats, some music on SHM and/or SHM-SACD sounds better and some not so much.

One thing to be aware of, from info I've read. The SHM and SHM-SACD discs do not fair well if bent or dropped. Apparently, the harder material breaks easier, although I've not had any issues, but then again I haven’t bent or dropped one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    This is an area I have yet to wander into but would certainly give a few a spin. How about a top 10 list of SHM cd's?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    I remember reading that during the manufacture of CDs the final master disc is made from extremely transparent glass. I found that most CDs would sound very slightly better if cleaned and treated with Rain-X. That might be less of an issue with players that have more sophisticated error correction ability.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I have only bought the SHM-SACD's. So far I'm in the camp of sounds good. I wish they would re-release many of the OOP titles they have.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I remember reading that during the manufacture of CDs the final master disc is made from extremely transparent glass. I found that most CDs would sound very slightly better if cleaned and treated with Rain-X. That might be less of an issue with players that have more sophisticated error correction ability.

Is there a preferred method of cleaning CD's prior to treatment with Rain-X?
  • pitdogg2
    I've always cleaned mine with original windex and a cloth baby diaper.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2018
    I just used Rain-X and 100% cotton balls as a cleaner. If I get a Netflix DVD that won't play I use Rain-X and it can make a difference. When I first started doing it I would look at my image reflected by the CD, then after Rain-X the image would seem clearer, more like an ideal mirror.
    From what I remember Rain-X was originally designed to help aircraft Perspex windscreens be more transparent.
  • gudnoyez
    Which one the Rain X pre mixed in the gallon jug or the additive in the small bottle?
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited July 2018
    I would use the full strength original product. It comes in several small sizes. FYI, I cannot attest to any results from using said product on CD/DVD's, as I have only used it on vehicle windshields with excellent results.
    teax2w7bm3my.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Yes it can leave a greasy film be careful. I love the stuff for my windshields. Nothing like driving in a heavy rain and the water just sheds off the glass so well the wipers can chatter from lack of enough water.
    Great stuff.