My polk magnificent max Sr surround on rear right is making loud crackling popping noises.

I unplugged and plugged back in and right now seems to be working. Please advise on what I can do.

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Polk is aware of the problem and is working on a solution that will correct the problem. This will be done via a firmware update so make sure you have connected your bar to the Internet. If the surround noises are too bothersome, unplug them until the issue is straightened out.
  • bitz
    bitz Posts: 2
    I read the new firmware update was already out? This has been an ongoing issue for alot of customers. So how long will we have to wait. I don't want my warranty to run out while Polk is trying to figure this problem out. What happens then?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    It's unfortunate and disappointing to me that for as much energy, time, and money that Polk is going through as they are trying to push their wireless lifestyle products, they're still plagued by these seemingly solvable issues.
  • tpop
    tpop Posts: 2
    Frustrating I’m having same issues now my is not turning on just blinking lights.
  • OT8381
    OT8381 Posts: 2
    Same problem here. Installed latest firmware but popping continues
  • MPAGA
    MPAGA Posts: 3
    Ive had mine for a month a half. Rear speaker seem to be fine. But sub pops. I read on another webpage to move the sub further away from soundbar. I had mine next to tv and soundbar. I moved across the room and put in corner next to sofa. It works much better.. Played video games for 3 hours pop free. It did act up a little today. Unplugging and plugging seemed to help for awhile. Maybe this will help some. Ill never buy Polk again though. Im still on 79 update. Im afraid to update because of the connectivity peoblems people are now having after update. They need to issue a recall on these. Im writing to consumer reports. Good luck people!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    MPAGA wrote: »
    Ive had mine for a month a half. Rear speaker seem to be fine. But sub pops. I read on another webpage to move the sub further away from soundbar. I had mine next to tv and soundbar. I moved across the room and put in corner next to sofa. It works much better.. Played video games for 3 hours pop free. It did act up a little today. Unplugging and plugging seemed to help for awhile. Maybe this will help some. Ill never buy Polk again though. Im still on 79 update. Im afraid to update because of the connectivity peoblems people are now having after update. They need to issue a recall on these. Im writing to consumer reports. Good luck people!

I’m going to defend Polk here. What other brand would put so much time and effort in trying to get the soundbar to work correctly again without the consumer being forced to go through a recall? It may be necessary, but from my experience, I think that once Polk gets this thing figured out, that it will never happen again to any Polk product, because they know what to look for. And besides, when it does work (and soon that will be all the time!) it is the best on the market, ESPECIALLY for the money.
    Micah
  • MPAGA
    At 600 bucks... They should get it right the first time.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited June 2018
    At 600 bucks... They should get it right the first time.

Accidents happen during production, and, this is a (relatively speaking) VERY limited number of them that are doing this. There are hundreds of threads and comments about this, but don’t forget Polk has sold thousands, probably even tens of thousands. And it seems to be caused by outside interaction of other devices, or by the source material, and not a actual defect.
    Micah
  • henninge
    henninge Posts: 52
    There is ZERO chance Polk had sold tens of thousands of this unit. I would love to know the numbers. It's out of stock numerous places. My guess is because they aren't working properly, not because of demand. Feel free to show us actual numbers from somewhere as opposed to guessing.

It's an unusable product right now. I'd guess most people who have issues don't even know there is this forum.
  • henninge
    Hello,
    Polk is aware of the problem and is working on a solution that will correct the problem. This will be done via a firmware update so make sure you have connected your bar to the Internet. If the surround noises are too bothersome, unplug them until the issue is straightened out.

I appreciate all the efforts you do for this issue. Not sure why someone from Polk isn't dealing with it directly on here, BUT unplugging the speaker is truly a sign of how **** the problem is. Maybe they fix it in 10 months of a 12 month warranty - then what? Things sold at a store are assumed to work, no? Or is that just crazy talk by me?
  • henninge

Did you write to anybody?
  • joesephK
    joesephK Posts: 50
    I'm new to the forum, but I noticed no one has left any update in a while on these posts regarding issues with the max sr , so I figure I chime in with my latest experience. I have been having issues for a while... everything from chirps to pops, to a high pitch noise in the sub at one point... but I think Polk finally got it right with the latest firmware 103. I have been running it for roughly a week and have had zero issues. and I swear it sounds better too and maybe has something to do with the improved wireless performance? idk, i'd say if you guys haven't yet to go and check it out
  • Thanks for posting your results, I'm glad things are sounding better.
  • MPAGA
    edited August 2018
    I did the update to 103. It is much better. I still have a low continuous crackle. But you have to be right next to box to hear. From the couch you dont hear it. But no loud pops! An occasional dull pop which would had been a loud one. But much much better. Only complaint is I have to turn it much louder for sound such as bass. And now turn down voice volume because its way too loud. It will make a snap like sound with certain pronounced words. If they could tweek the volume it would be perfect.
  • Mikey87
    Mikey87 Posts: 19
    edited October 2018
    I bought the Magnifi Max SR today after reading positive reactions about sound the quality.
    But, today i heard also a lot of popping in the speakers with low volume. The firmware version is v103. I paid €849,- !!! for this i think the lowest LG bar is better than this. I am really disappointed and have to bring this back to the shop in 14 days. Very, very bad first sight of Polk. Thumbs down. :-(
  • Hello,
    Sorry you're having a problem. I'll ask a friend at Polk to contact you via email.
  • Mikey87
    Mikey87 Posts: 19
    edited November 2018
    I was irritating about the low volume pops in every mode (Spotify/Aux/HDMI/Optical and so on). So i decided to search why it was popping so much… So, got a new one..
    When testing the new one, it also has little pops all the time.
    I finally found when my sub was cracking/popping sounds every time (it was really good to hear with low volume), mostly with talkshows and "slow" relaxing music.

I played a subwoofer test on youtube (2 minutes of nonstop low bass freq) and there were no pops in my sub, no one.... So when the sub was active, no popping. OK, with that in my mind i just were suprised because Polk told me my WiFi (router) connection was the reason behind it.

Secondly i played a slow drum (punch) test (ascending in pace), and yes the pops are back. The pops goes faster when the punch is hitting faster…
    Clearly, they were popping directly BEFORE the drum and directly AFTER the drum.

I think when the sub is getting signal from soundbar to work -> it's popping "on" does his work and when there are no low frequent sounds anymore he just goes "off" again. So it looks like it has to do with the frequents of the sounds. That's also the reason why talkshows/dialog have a lot of pops! Sometimes the sound of voices just reached the hertz what the sub make active. Than you hear the pop.

Maybe Polk can fix it with a firmware update? Because FW version 103 still has it.
    Maybe possible to give the the sub constantly a signal to "stay on", no matter what sound is played at that moment.
    I'm sure the low volume pops in the sub does NOTHING have to do with the Wifi signals in your house. I've tested it also out i in a empty house without any wirless signals.....
    Test it out yourself guys.

By the way, ofcourse any louder pops and incidental pops or scratching sounds does not have the same reasons as above. That could be linked to wireless malfunction and intereference.
    Post edited by Mikey87 on
  • Hello,
    I recommend sending an email to: Ken.Carter@soundunited.com for assistance.
  • Hi folks. Just wanted to chime in as a new Magnifi Max owner. I bought the soundbar from a Big Box store earlier in week and then added the SR1 surrounds yesterday. Upon setting/syncing the surrounds, they crackled and popped furiously! I then updated the firmware. (which was stated to do on the box immediately after syncing!) The pops and crackling went away and the system has been quiet. So far it's been a great experience.
  • gweyers wrote: »
    Hi folks. Just wanted to chime in as a new Magnifi Max owner. I bought the soundbar from a Big Box store earlier in week and then added the SR1 surrounds yesterday. Upon setting/syncing the surrounds, they crackled and popped furiously! I then updated the firmware. (which was stated to do on the box immediately after syncing!) The pops and crackling went away and the system has been quiet. So far it's been a great experience.

Which country you live?
    And which FW do you have? Did you test a low volume test with your ear in front of the sub?
  • Ecliz
    Ecliz Posts: 40
    edited December 2018
    Mikey87 wrote: »
    So it looks like it has to do with the frequents of the sounds. That's also the reason why talkshows/dialog have a lot of pops! Sometimes the sound of voices just reached the hertz what the sub make active. Than you hear the pop.
    The same pattern is seen with crackles in rears. When the scene on the screen became more active and a lot of sounds are appear then the number of crackles became larger
    Post edited by Ecliz on
  • Ecliz
    Ecliz Posts: 40
    Guys, I posted the solution here
    Hope this helps
  • Just installed the SR1 surround speakers and tried to sync to MagnifiMax soundbar. Popping and static and one speaker would never connect. It's May 2019 and seems product has not improved.
  • Had mine fir 5 days now and firmware update did bot fix. Did not pay so much money to have to keep the back speakers off. Polk can gladly have this back. Unplugging and then having it work for a few minutes is not a working product. Maybe look a Samsung ?
  • I'll forward this to a friend at Polk who is an expert at solving this kind of problem. Hang in there.