Technics SU-v75

mlistens03
mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
Hey guys,
I just thought I would get your opinions on this integrated. Anyone heard it? Like it? Dislike it?
I’ll find a spec sheet and post it later.
And here is the question of the day, does anyone know if it can drive my LSis? I assume not, as it’s not a powerhouse at 75 wpc, but I thought I would ask. I’ve heard it said there is a difference between high wattage and high current, but I don’t think this is either. It does have a 6 amp draw from the wall though :astonished: , that makes me think that MAYBE... just maybe... it has the current to pull it off.
And your probably wondering, “why isn’t he using his Crown”? Well, to tell you the truth...
it died. It just died. No idea what happened, but the left channel went POP! And now it doesn’t work. I’ve checked everything and the culprit has to be the amp. Can’t find anything obviously wrong with it so we will take it for warranty repair at some point but I dont know when.
Thanks for your help and opinions,
Micah

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2018
    No ears on experience with that Technics, but by all appearances I'd say unremarkable at best.

Except for their high-level, "prosumer" Technics/Panasonic equipment, generally (IMO and FWIW) the consumer-grade Technics/Panasonic hardware is inferior/bland compared to the other massmarket big Japanese brands.

• mlistens03
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    No ears on experience with that Technics, but by all appearances I'd say unremarkable at best.

Except for their high-level, "prosumer" Technics/Panasonic equipment, generally (IMO and FWIW) the consumer-grade Technics/Panasonic hardware is inferior/bland compared to the other massmarket big Japanese brands.

That’s kinda what I was worried you guys were gonna say. It does sound better than my Yamaha and the Crown on the Mission 770s, and overall is fairly low distortion, and is very dynamic. It seems a little on the warmer side and is a little light on the bass, although that may just be a combination of room placement and speakers that don’t produce a ton of bass. It sounds better than almost everything I’ve ever heard on the Missions (although that’s not saying much).
    I think I’ll probably use it for now, but I am gonna eventually switch back over to the Crown when it works again. Even though it doesn’t sound as good as this on the Missions, the LSis more than make up the difference.
    Micah
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    Does the Crown have a fuse?
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • mhardy6647
    Does the Crown have a fuse?

Maybe not any more. ;)
  • mlistens03
    edited May 2018
    Yes it’s does, but it’s not blown. And the entire thing would shut down, it is before the transformer. It still turns on and the right channel works ok. I’m gonna take it for warranty repair eventually, just not sure when I’ll have time.
    Edit: sorry thinking of something else, it has a breaker, which I have reset.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    My first stereo had a SU-V98, probably pretty similar. It wasn't garbage, but it wasn't great. Use it these days to power the speaker for my Ruben's Tube in my classroom...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mlistens03
    edited May 2018
    I've heard of Rubens tubes, but I’ve never actually seen one, that was really cool!
    I did some reading, the SU-v98 was two tiers higher in that line. I believe it was pretty much identical but it came with a better tuner, more power, a little bigger, better transformer, etc.
    Oh well. I haven’t done any real listening to it yet, so I will do some L&R comparisons between the Yamaha and the Technics, and whichever wins gets to stay. I don’t have time now though, so I will report back this afternoon when the tests are done.
    Micah
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I learned about standing waves after I got a powerful subwoofer.

Thanks for posting the link. I enjoyed it too. Here's the video for others to see them in action. B)
    https://youtu.be/gpCquUWqaYw
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    I never got around to the left and right comparison of the Yamaha and the Technics, hopefully I’ll be able to do it later when the power stops going in and out (I hate thunderstorms :rage: )
    So, back to one of the original questions, do you guys think that this thing might have a slightest chance to drive the LSi25s? I don’t think it will, but a 6 amp draw from the wall makes me think that maybe... just maybe... it can pull it off. And I don’t mean “will it play music” by the way, I mean “will it blow away the Crown and Yamaha combo, will it become my daily driver (until I get something better, of course)?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    No.

That is the shortest answer you have ever given on any subject, Doc.
    Are you not well today?
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2018
    lightman1 wrote: »
    No.

That is the shortest answer you have ever given on any subject, Doc.
    Are you not well today?

I am doing excellently, thank you very much ;)

I would just hate to see anyone waste much effort on the titular Technics amplifier, if you catch my drift. :|
  • mlistens03
    No.

That is exactly what I thought, just making sure :blush:
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I picked up an SU-V76 for my son who wanted to get into vinyl. Also picked up a pair on infinity speakers. It sounds pretty decent. I could have picked a higher model but I know their active cooling (fan) tends to fail and the chips fry. This one has heat pipes and cooling fins. As long as it has ventilation it should be happy.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mlistens03
    Quick question, do you guys think that the headphone amp in this Technics could drive 300 ohm headphones? The specific headphones in question are Sennheiser HD 600s. I’m trying to look at the money from my gear in other ways so I can best use the money, and I though the I would ask.
    P.S. I am on vacation and this is one of the first times I’ve had WiFi all week, so if I haven’t replied to PMs and people mentioning me, then I apologize.
    Micah
  • mhardy6647
    No idea really, but probably not terribly well. Not the kind of thing that would have factored highly in the design spec for a massmarket Technics product like that amp, I'd reckon.

Only one way to find out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    If you look at the circuit diagram for the Technics amp the headphones and the speaker output are driven by a prepackaged amp IC (SV13205A). These devices, while very convenient for the manufacturer, aren't very good at delivering much current into any load that isn't 8 ohms.
    But, as everyone has suggested, give it a try.
  • mhardy6647
    If you look at the circuit diagram for the Technics amp the headphones and the speaker output are driven by a prepackaged amp IC (SV13205A). These devices, while very convenient for the manufacturer, aren't very good at delivering much current into any load that isn't 8 ohms.
    But, as everyone has suggested, give it a try.

Glad you tracked that info down, Ken. I dug around a little in googlespace for info on the amp's headphone output before replying but came up empty -- umm -- handed. :/
  • mlistens03
    Thanks for the help guys, I did some digging myself, except I couldn’t find any info anywhere, and I’m not knowledgeable enough to look at the schematics of the amp and know how it works, so this is really helpful to me, thank you.
    I’m not sure if I’ll be purchasing these headphones, but if I do, I’ll be looking at a headphone amp too I guess.
    Thanks,
    Micah
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    I believe that is a good idea.