Parasound HCA 3500 question

Like the title states, i came across a HCA 3500 for sale which looks to be in excellent shape. The current owner is the second owner of the amp and is under the impression that it is completely original. But he sent me a pic with the top off and it looks to my untrained eye that the caps have been upgraded possibly to Nichicon golds. I searched online but couldn't find matching pictures of stock HCA 3500's that look like this one. What do you guys think?
2w8abimidu3e.jpg

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I have a HCA-1500 and it has the Nichicon golds in it, and as far as I know they are original. That 3500 is a great amp.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    This may be of interest to you.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/108338/parasound-hca-3500-upgrades

Those are Nichicon Fine Gold caps, but I believe the amp came with them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Thanks Jesse, that link is the only other pic online that had those same gold caps that i could find. But that amp had a bunch of other stuff done to it that this one obviously didn't which is what made me scratch my head. Most other pictures i found, the 3500 had black caps. He's supposed to send me some more close ups of the inside later tonight.
  • F1nut
    Ya know, I shouldn't have stated those were Fine Gold because Nichicon uses the gold wrapper on other series too.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Here's a few more pics. I do notice the bottom of some of the gold caps have some brownish residue at the board, is this a sign of burnt/leaking caps or probably just flux residue?
    yy1idkw0p68l.jpg
    qcqaaazp2gta.jpg
    u6dmqbraads5.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Those are good caps!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Not a deal breaker pending on price, because this is still a good amp
    Jesse and Ivan, what do you think

6fhy0s3we0hv.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    That's not flux residue, that would be on the bottom side of the board. It might be some sort of glue residue. Gluing caps to boards is not unusual, but I think it's leakage. In Ron's pic you can clearly see bulging tops, so I think it's safe to say the amp needs a recap.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Personally I cannot tell they're bulging caps. I think from what i see is a reflection of the yellow wire that make it appear the tops are pushed up.
    Either way I'd take and buy that sucker and if need be recap it myself if I had to.

Great amp worth the cost to keep going

• Gerres26
    edited July 2018
    Heres a few more pictures. Ivan, it does kind of look like a reflection of the yellow wire in a couple of them(even the same caps on the opposite side of the amp if you look at that pic) but hard to tell not being able to see in person. Which leads to the problem being the amp is quite a distance away so between shipping costs and the amp already being priced high I'm not sure this is worth the investment right now unless he would come down on price... what would a fair price be for me do you think?
    dlqh2yw14cv9.jpg
    f95lyo1lq2cw.jpg
    vpj40ss7wmxr.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    I'd be more afraid of the shipping than bulging caps TBH

what is the price?
  • Gerres26
    Looks like around 1300 total shipped with original double boxes. On another note, i was looking at some of the older threads on this amp and there was a lot of talk about the BigSky audio upgrades but when i go to their site the Parasound amps are no longer listed for service/upgrades. When did they stop offering that i wonder?
  • pitdogg2
    Call him up the guy is very up front and well respected. (bigSky) pick his brain on the amp then make your decision.

I'd be leaning towards it pretty good amps.

• Gerres26
    I'll look into it, thanks
  • Gerres26
    Just a heads up to anyone interested, i just heard back from Rick at BigSky and they no longer service or upgrade Parasound products. Bummer, as I've heard nothing but great things on some of those amp upgrades.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Wow, no way. Did he say why?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Gerres26
    No, didn't go into detail. It was via email.
  • pitdogg2
    Well fudgecicles
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Don't let that stop you from purchasing it. It is a mighty fine amp less the upgrades.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Gerres26
    That wouldnt stop me from purchasing, im more worried about the cross country shipping(even though it does have original packaging) and whether it would even be an upgrade from my Musical Fidelity A5 integrated after talking to some folks. The MF is just so damn smooth and musical.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I'd just stick with the A5 if I were you, that thing looks like a beast!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Just another option....there is a guy in NY who is selling a HCA 2200 II pretty cheap and supposedly amp was recently checked out and biased by a service center. Cant recall if this was Agon or USAudiomart.
  • Gerres26
    It's on USaudiomart. I inquired about that amp just before I bought my Musical fidelity A5 actually.
  • kevhed72
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    It's on USaudiomart. I inquired about that amp just before I bought my Musical fidelity A5 actually.
    What did you think about the amp?
  • Gerres26
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    What did you think about the amp?

The parasound? I didn't buy it so i can't say. It did look to be in good shape by the pictures he sent but I didn't get to see it in person.
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Wow. Glad I snagged a Big Sky upgraded 3500 when I did. I guess should it ever need service it’s back to Parasound.

2200 is also a beast. Should drive most speakers with glee.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• kevhed72
    The new Parasound JC amp on Audio Advisor looks to be a beast.....with a price to match though.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    First of all that sucks that Big Sky no longer does Parasound upgrades.

Secondly, I’m not sure what speakers you have but as a former owner of a MF A308 (almost identical to the A5). I would recommend it over the Parasound for sure.

Sometimes more watts seem appealing, but I have learned through trial and error that quality is where it’s at.

The Parasound is nice, but the MF is primo...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I’d take a few high quality watts over a thousand cheap ones every second of every minute of every hour of every day, and every day of the year.
  • pitdogg2
    Gobs of current and iron that doubles down to 2ohm = $$$$$