Polk 5JR+'s in the house!

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
edited June 2018 in Vintage Speakers
So today I picked up a pair of these little cuties. They are absolutely mint! Veneer, Grilles, Drivers, all look brand new! I'm very happy about that.

Connected them to my Dayens Ampino and Auris BluMe bluetooth streamer. And as expected, they are bright! First step is to replace the tweeters. I believe the RDO-194's are the correct replacement.

PR test shows no leakage, again very happy.

Anyone out there (I'm sure there is) did the crossover mod on these little cuties?

Here's some pics in the office. Yeah, yeah, i know way too high of a placement! Eventually this rig will go into a spare bedroom upstairs. :smile:

z97j575x7wa8.jpg
43gs85vw2xiu.jpg
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited June 2018
    I think those're 5-jay-arr-PLUSSES!

I have some in walnut (blech; would have preferred oak like yours) and they sound a bit thin to me. I read that the crossover upgrade fills them out a good bit, but not to expect too much bottom end out of them.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    msg wrote: »
    I think those're 5-jay-arr-PLUSSES!

Thank you sir! Title of the thread edited in time! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Flip them upside-down and toe out a little. The brightness should dissipate. You know, just for giggles ;)
  • FestYboy
    Funny thing @msg, the "+" designation only shows up on my SL2500 tweeted JRs. The other 2 pair aren't labled as such.
  • verb
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Flip them upside-down and toe out a little. The brightness should dissipate. You know, just for giggles ;)

Very funny. :smile: Hey did you mod yours?

Just paged through 39 pages of 5JR+ threads. Yes I was lazy earlier. Caps, resistor, polyswitch, and the usual mechanical upgrades. Another project! Tweeters for now.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Mine aren't labeled + either.
    Without the 5JR+ label on back, I suspected the PRs were just for show and there was really a port hidden behind them, but no.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Those rock for their size.... very surprising speaker in my opinion
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited June 2018
    Congrats
    Randy/Maine
  • FestYboy
    msg wrote: »
    Mine aren't labeled + either.
    Without the 5JR+ label on back, I suspected the PRs were just for show and there was really a port hidden behind them, but no.

Ok I need to retract a bit of my previous statement: I have a pair of series 2 with the SL2500 and not labled "+" and a pair of the same that are labled "+".

Things get stranger by the minute...

And @verb, I was only half kidding about the flip and toe... Seriously, try it. Given their proximity to the ceiling, it can't be worse...
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Only the earliest 5jr versions were ported. Later 5jr and 5jr+ models BOTH had a 6-1/2" PR. The Series II 5 Jr+ came with a SL-2500 tweeter which can be replaced with the newer RD0-198 tweeter. Your model's correct tweeter replacement is the newer RD0-194. Great little speakers for a small room.
  • verb
    The location is just for basic testing purposes. Saves me from lugging all the stuff downstairs to the basement. Eventually they’ll be in a proper setup upstairs in a spare bedroom.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    They can be easily upgraded to the rev 2 by changing the 12uf cap to 13.5uf, and installing RD0198s
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/