Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Just another thought, if this little girl was in front of you, would you still hurl insults at her deceased father?

Because some of you internet tough guys forget that this is not a private conversation.
    As we were all reminded of in the Leon Russell thread.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Nope, just my opinion based on an unassailable fact.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited June 2018
    Take it to PM, ladies.

Edit on second thought: @KennethSwauger: Might as well just lock this whole abortion of a thread at this point.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Take it to PM, ladies.

Edit on second thought: @KennethSwauger: Might as well just lock this whole abortion of a thread at this point.

100% serious.

I doubt Anthony would agree with that, at all.

Anthony despised oppression and censorship. Honestly talking and debating is healthy for society.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I just said "lock it up" because it's disappointing that a thread that was designed for people to share their respects has instead rapidly degraded to people casting their negative opinions on the individual.
    100% serious.

Anthony despised oppression and censorship. Honestly talking and debating is healthy for society.

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I just said "lock it up" because it's disappointing that a thread that was designed for people to share their respects has instead rapidly degraded to people casting their negative opinions on the individual.
    100% serious.

I understand why you said it.

But I just think it would fly against the beliefs of the very person you’re trying to protect.

They are allowed their opinions, and I’m allowed to disagree. Healthy conversation is the only way forward.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    RIP. Never watched his show, or read his stories on CNN website, as I have no interest in culinary or exotic food, but always hate to hear of tragedy. Of any type. RIP.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I've watched some of his shows over the years. Interesting, kinda a raw edge to them, which was appealing.

Anthony made no secret of his past demons. I reflect on his fame, fortune, and assumed incorrectly he had overcame them.

RIP sir, I feel very sorry for your family's loss, and my heart goes out to them.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2018
    All i can say is I've always like his shows and or his commendatory...

R.I.P. Brother thanks for what you have shared with me :'(

but I will say this....I am so sick of this suicide stuff....what gives? been kick in the face and had others who were so worried that I would off my self?

really? when the ones I have loved some much have fought so hard to live and then I'd off my self?

No way man...you go on..you deal with it..you wake up every morning and then go on...

that is life! plain and simple ....

forgive me of my 2 cents or 1 cents as I sometime feel I am not worth a bloody cent more!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • afterburnt
    Not hard to spot the old angry white guys.

My but that was a racist thing to say
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2018
    ^^not coming from an old, white guy that isn't angry.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    la2vegas wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    lol, classy move. Call the man a d-bag in his RIP thread.

How about instead you just don't post and keep your negative thoughts to yourself?
    tonyb wrote: »
    Never liked the guy personally. Had an air of d-bagginess about him. Still, sorry to hear he thought claiming his own life was a solution for what troubled him.

Didn't know it was required to like everyone who bites the dust. Never wished ill will on the guy either.

It's not required to like everyone that croakes, just wait a few days to piss on their grave. Is it that too much to ask?

I have little respect for those that take the coward's way out... unless there was some underlying disease like CTE or other factor that was literally eating his brain. I have watched people, including my own mother, endure unthinkable pain and persevere. Suicide gets no sympathy from me, except for those he selfishly left behind to wonder why.

Sorry dude, but on this topic, you don't have a clue. May it never happen to someone you love. Seriously.
  • Viking64

9zt66l9kgzx3.jpg
  • BlueFox
    edited June 2018

LOL. As another old, but optimistic, white guy, those fools make life difficult for me since I live in a predominately Hispanic neighborhood. Thank goodness, most of my neighbors are more intelligent, and tolerant, than the grumpy old white guys. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    BlueFox wrote: »
    predominate
    HUH? :p
  • BlueFox
    Duh. Predominantly. :)

Thanks.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    We all have our gremlins...

Suicide might be seen as a cowardly way out, but unless you're actually sitting in someone's shoes in the lowest of the lows, you have no idea. It must have been a very rough few hours leading up to the point where he took his life, I feel very sad for him.

I am very sure he thought of all the people he was about to leave behind, his daughter too... but just imagine the hurt he must have felt to rather take his life than to be there for his kid and family... that kind of hurt must be nearly unimaginable for most of us.

Rather than hurl negative insults at the guy, we should just leave it at "rest in peace".

None of us are perfect, I doubt EVERY act we do is a selfless one even to our kids, wives, and our families. If there's a perfect father or husband here, raise your hand.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    We can't judge a book by its cover.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Well said Joey, the ignorance spouted by some in this thread is just disgusting.

I hope Anthony Bourdain, is now resting in peace without whatever was tormenting him so badly.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt
    edited June 2018
    Yeah none of us are perfect but most of us don't check out on our kids like that.

Joey, you don't know what I know.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    `wow ain't the internet a roller coaster ride and on a RIP thread yet.....RIP to a man who has provided me many years viewing pleasure....we all have a dark side somewhere.....Rest In Peace
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    gce wrote: »
    RIP Anthony...and please, ignore the ignorant people on this thread!

This.
  • mdaudioguy
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Yeah none of us are perfect but most of us don't check out on our kids like that.

It's virtually guaranteed that members of this forum have lost someone to suicide. A mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter, husband, wife, or friend... This kind of comment is hurtful and unnecessary, at least in my book.
  • afterburnt
    edited June 2018
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

It's virtually guaranteed that members of this forum have lost someone to suicide. A mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter, husband, wife, or friend... This kind of comment is hurtful and unnecessary, at least in my book.

And you too don't know what I know. Your assumption implies that I am not one of the above. Well I am on multiple counts.

Yeah hurtful. I respond to a rediculous comment that if one is not "perfect" then they should say nothing. Call it whst you want, it's "your" book.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Been a huge fan of Bourdain and really enjoyed the man. May he be forgiven for taking his own life.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited June 2018
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

And you too don't know what I know. Your assumption implies that I am not one of the above. Well I am on multiple counts.

Yeah hurtful. I respond to a rediculous comment that if one is not "perfect" then they should say nothing. Call it whst you want, it's "your" book.

All I assume is that everyone handles life differently. I can't claim to know what you know and I didn't. Fact is, some have lost, and maybe don't need to hear how they've been "abandoned." In the end, if that's the message you feel you need to express, then I guess that's what you're gonna do.

Heck, might as well leave this here while I'm at it: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org