Karma - Monoprice Fabulousness!

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Clipdat wrote: »
    That's a POS toy. Save up and buy a Decware instead FFS.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    This thread seems like such a good place to mention that Monoprice is apparently slapping their moniker on some other Chinese amplifier that is really, truly a vacuum tube amplifier.

I like Rachael :smile:
    gj9ebxmeaszv.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Doc has forgotten more about tube amps than most of us have ever known. I will go with his opinion on an item every day and twice on Sunday.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    The Decware stuff is OK. It used to be high-value, but most of Deckert's stuff has gotten expensive.

I wouldn't waste time with that Monoprice thing, but it seemed interesting in the context of the legendarily dreadful hybrid thing (which has a long, long history under various brand names in different countries) -- with no offense meant to the original karmic grantor (as it was a very nice thing to do).

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/a-brand-new-tube-amp-for-under-100-nahhh.277066/
  • verb
    That little fire starter is like a, well, bad penny, you never know! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    I only know what I've read on their website, and that @mhardy6647 has recommended them to me in the past.

Why are you so combative?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Just what do you know about Decware?

• verb
    Update on the ongoing Monoprice saga!

Today, after a long battle (at least a dozen e-mails) with Monoprice, they finally relented and decided to accept my return of the brand new amp that was Karma'd to @clipdat :smile:

Technically, this is the 4th amp. The first 3, well, are documented in this thread. :smile:

I'm happy that this saga didn't end in a puff of smoke. Happy Karma Drew! As soon as the new one arrives, I'll ship it out to you!

As before, have the fire extinguisher close by! :smile:
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    A leading tech blogs reports:
    "Monoprice lands in Chapter 7; doors closing end of May."
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited May 2018
    FOR REAL????

I've been getting all kinds of emails and POP UP ADS on their subs and amps and stands and sales. And the sale items aren't clearance priced either. They just came out with those Monolith Amps to very good reviews too. Not GREAT but OK for the money I've read. The subs got OK reviews too.

What gives?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    I'm overrun with gear right now in my tiny apartment, much to my wife's annoyance. I've got no room for any more. Seriously, I'm on thin ice here.

Once the replacement arrives, you should run another Karma thread for it. I've had my "fun".
    verb wrote: »
    Update on the ongoing Monoprice saga!

Today, after a long battle (at least a dozen e-mails) with Monoprice, they finally relented and decided to accept my return of the brand new amp that was Karma'd to @clipdat :smile:

Technically, this is the 4th amp. The first 3, well, are documented in this thread. :smile:

I'm happy that this saga didn't end in a puff of smoke. Happy Karma Drew! As soon as the new one arrives, I'll ship it out to you!

As before, have the fire extinguisher close by! :smile:

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I only know what I've read on their website, and that @mhardy6647 has recommended them to me in the past.

Why are you so combative?
    Just what do you know about Decware?

Not combative you'll know when i am.
    Decware is local to me I've seen and talked to the guy. It was a legit question that is all.
    I'll roll with Doc in this. It's OK nothing I'd pay those kind of prices for.
  • Clipdat
    Sorry, I thought you meant it dismissive like "What do YOU know about THEM?". My mistake.

So you think their stuff is priced a little steep? I figured it was priced according to the quality and labor it takes to put them together. Just seems that made in USA stuff is getting pricier every day.
    Not combative you'll know when i am.
    Decware is local to me I've seen and talked to the guy. It was a legit question that is all.
    I'll roll with Doc in this. It's OK nothing I'd pay those kind of prices for.

• mhardy6647
    So -- and I can't believe I am typing this -- if no one else wants to investigate this interesting little product... I'd love to get a look at/listen to one. For strictly academic purposes, of course. :)

I do not want it to dwell here permanently -- I have been the recipient of too much, too gracious Karma from Polk forum denizens over the years. But, in all seriousness, I'd enjoy giving one of these weird little amplifiers the once-over were the opportunity to present itself.

I would then be happy to send it along to someone (anyone!) else, anywhere in the continental US. Heck, Alaska and Hawaii would be OK, too -- although I probably would draw the line at, say Guam, American Samoa, etc.

• mhardy6647
    msg wrote: »
    A leading tech blogs reports:
    "Monoprice lands in Chapter 7; doors closing end of May."

I am guessing (?!?) this was a little joke on the cosmic irony of @verb's experience with the Amplifier from Heck ;)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Monoprice closing their doors? The world is much safer now.
    Are they actually closing? I would find that almost hard to believe. Almost.
  • verb
    That’s really too bad. Despite my horrible customer service. Seems like they may have grown too fast.

@msg I couldn’t find anything on the bankruptcy. Any more details?
  • pitdogg2
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    edited May 2018
    lol, holy crap, yeah guys, that was a joke!
    All Verb's returns? Costing them money?!?

Note to self: Exercise discretion with use of deadpan delivery.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    You had me thinking... >:)
  • pitdogg2

got's to be careful Scott! the sheep get antsy:)
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    I didn't want to lose my HDMI cable and speaker wire source. :#
  • verb

You got me dude! :smile:
  • Marfly
    Marfly Posts: 66
    edited May 2018
  • verb
    Update - The new replacement arrived today! This makes amp number 4!

So, to honor @clipdat, the original winner of amp #3, per his recommendation, he has decided to Karma this BNIB beauty! Thanks Drew!

I won't even bother to open up the box! Still sealed! :smile:

As before, if you're interested, pick a number between 1-100. Random number generator will determine the winner Saturday night! No Russian intervention guaranteed! :smile:

For @Viking64, and others, no numbers greater than 100, or less than 1 allowed, no fractional numbers, mathematical constants (such as pi), irrational, or imaginary numbers will be permitted! :smile:

Happy Karma - Once again! :smile:

p8t4c913ui0h.png

Optional accessory:
    wbb5bhphklva.png
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    w7mb52cydlsy.jpg

Jimmy is in with 64! :smile:
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    Jimmy is in with 64! :smile:

64 is my birthday, you know. Octember 64th!
  • verb
    Oh, I thought it referred to 1864. My bad! :smile:
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    Oh, I thought it referred to 1864. My bad! :smile:

3ic7wi5gc6bm.jpg

• Tony M
    In with 11. :#

I'll give it a go if I win the karma. B)