On the Fence: iPhone 8 Plus or X

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited May 2018 in Electronics
My 6Plus decided today was the day I was going to upgrade (it’s totally dead).

I’m debating between the X and the 8Plus and it’s a really tough call. Since I don’t upgrade often (as shown by the fact I was still using my trusty 6PLus), I’m thinking the X may be a better option as it’s the TOTL.

I am aware I could just replace my battery, or upgrade to the 7Plus, however I just think given how infrequent I update my phone, if I go with anything less than the 8Plus or X (which will get updated this year in a few months anyway), I will still be behind the curve on the tech, and getting some needed updates (camera, dust/waterproofing) are worth it.

More importantly, while with the X I will have to relearn how to use my phone (drat), I have a feeling the way you interact with the X will become the new “normal” for all new iterations of their phones. This means the learning/growing pains are going to happen at some point, and doing it now saves me trouble later.

The inverse of course is true, the 8Plus is just pick up and go for me as it’s got a home button, and all the same iOS feature as my 6Plus, plus the upgrades to the camera, chipset, etc.

I'm what I'd consider your basic phone user, I use it for streaming music (with regular headphones mostly, damn you apple) at work, playing some basic flash games, and lots of web usage. Any video usage is fairly limited to review on things (when I'm to lazy to use my laptop), and occasionally YouTube. Not a lot of Netflix or Plex usage on it, so I wouldnt say I'm a heavy video user.

I'm looking forward to the dust/waterproof features that are missing from my 6Plus, which has a result been in a Sedio waterproof case since I got it. I can now in theory use most iPhone cases and not need that extra layer of plastic over the front.

I also have for the most part stopped using my DSLR and use my phone instead, meaning the updated cameras (compared to my 6Plus) will be welcomed. I do NOT however take lots of selfies, or facetime often if ever, so I'm not too concerned with the updates to the front facing cameras.

Some of my “concerns” are that I am not sure if adding a case to the X (which I will do just to keep the glass from scratching/breaking will make the wireless charging not work as that’s one feature I was really hoping to use.

I also wear glasses and I dont know how well FaceID will work when I'm NOT wearing them, and I'm concerned with how easy it will be in the morning (pre-glasses) to get my phone to unlock.

I also am not sure if it’s been out in the wild long enough for most app developers to adjust their devices to the funky screen size.

I know mantis posted his thoughts a while back and I've already re-read that and most reviews I can find (launch day and then any updates after a few months), and I'm very torn.

Anyone that's been in a similar situation, I'd love your thoughts. What did you choose and why?

Danny (@A$$imilated) , I'd love your thoughts in general on this as I know you know a lot about these two models.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    My suggestion would be to go with the 8, because I think it has just as much power, just as much battery, an about equal display, you don’t have to deal with the notch and you get to keep the home button. Seems like a win win win win win! Especially with the fact that it is cheaper.
    The X is probably the better phone, and it looks better, better camera, etc. but if that’s not something that matters too much (aesthetics, camera quality) then I say 8.
  • EndersShadow
    edited May 2018
    Yes, I'm leaning toward the 8Plus as of now. It may be a stop gap fix to learning what the new standard iOS will have, but its a jump of a few models for sure and will have a better battery life, better camera's, with form factor and usage that's familiar to my muscle memory...

And its a couple hundred cheaper to boot.

Side note: After 3+ hours of charging my existing phone just turned on. Charging it up and transferring everything off it and doing a iTunes backup with utmost haste.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    No advice here brother.

I'm still using a flip phone.... :D
  • EndersShadow
    oldrocker wrote: »
    No advice here brother.

I'm still using a flip phone.... :D

So you upgraded from your rotary then I see!
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Darn right.

I'm up to date on the whole tech thing!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    i just replaced my 6plus battery a few weeks ago. I'm holding out to see what the Gen2 X will feature this fall. I'm sure Apple will work out a few of the kinks
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    i just replaced my 6plus battery a few weeks ago. I'm holding out to see what the Gen2 X will feature this fall. I'm sure Apple will work out a few of the kinks

I thought about doing that, but I think I'm just going to upgrade and get it over with. I'm tired of literally 1 hour of life on this thing, and also want the waterproof aspect as I use it a lot biking in all types of weather. Not worrying about rain (or my kid dropping it in a dog water bowl) will be a welcome change.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited May 2018
    I'm not understanding what happened to your 6 plus.

Edit: Bad battery I read.
  • EndersShadow
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I'm not understanding what happened to your 6 plus.

Edit: Bad battery I read.

Yes. The battery has degraded and while I can replace it and keep it limping along, the time has probably come to upgrade.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Don't forget the battery is only $29 to replace until December I think.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I don't know. $29 for a new battery, or $800 for a new phone. Hmmmmmm?????
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    In 4 months the new stuff will be released, current devices will see a price drop
    $29 is a no brainer IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I had the 7 Plus then went to the 10 and hated it. Took it back after a few days and got the 8 plus. I think the 10 just isn't ready but some love that thing. I don't I much prefer the screen on the 8 plus and battery life.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • EndersShadow
    Ok, I think you guys are right....

For 50 bucks (at a local place so I dont have to deal with the wait at an Apple store 1 hour out of my way) I'm replacing the battery for now and letting my phone limp around till the next upgrade cycle and then potentially get the 8 Plus when the price drops....
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    There are two compelling reasons to get the X over the 8Plus, up to you if these matter.

First, Face ID is awesome and is more secure than Touch ID and it works in situations where Touch ID doesn’t work like coming out of a shower, when raining outside, cold weather, etc

Second, it’s nice having a larger screen in a smaller body. You can argue about the true size of the X with the notch, but you can’t argue that the screen is larger than the 8 in a body that’s about the same size.

There are other items too like the gestures, better camera, better more color accurate display, etc...but none of those are a generation better in the X than the 8.
  • EndersShadow
    @AsSiMiLaTeD

Thank you for that quick rundown. Helps a lot. I can see the value in FaceID, I'm guessing glasses v no glasses isn't an issue? Also how accurate does the distance need to be for it to work? My vision is very bad so judging distance is not that fun in the morning when I first wakeup sans glasses, so that might present a problem for me.

I agree the screen is better and in a smaller form factor than the 8. Not too sure if that's a reason for me in my situation, but it is something I need to look at for sure.

For now I think will stand pat with a battery upgrade and see what WWDC on June 4th holds, and potentially wait a few more months for the next iteration to drop the prices on the X or the 8 Plus and buy then.

That way I also have my older 6Plus (with a new battery) as a backup should my MIL, FIL or wife break their phones, as I doubt the 6Plus will have any resale value at that point.

Thanks again for your insight.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Face ID works from about 6 inches or more away
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Keep in mind both the 8 and X have glass back and crack a lot easier that the 6.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    iPhone X.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • EndersShadow
    Keep in mind both the 8 and X have glass back and crack a lot easier that the 6.

I’d still be getting a case to protect it, it just won’t have the plastic section over the screen and other input holes didn’t to the better dust and water protection.
  • EndersShadow
    Face ID works from about 6 inches or more away

Thanks.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Wanna buy my iPhone X? Went full on back to Apple ecosystem several months ago and ready to sell all of it. Mac mini, Apple 4K, iPad Pro, iPad 5th gen, Apple Watch and the iPhone X.

Not because they all are bad but I happen to use these devices for work and development as well.

If I were you I would replace the battery likely for the $30. And do nothing else for time being. Tech always change and if you are constantly waiting for the next newest, good luck... you will never change.

Halen
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    edited May 2018
    Face ID does work really well. The only times I have any problems is when I’m wearing my sunglasses and it can’t detect my eyes. I’m sure that has to do with the couple settings I use and might work just fine if they’re turned off. For reference:

e3r6d7t2ztrn.jpeg

Otherwise I’ve been really enjoying my X. The inset for the instruments at the top of the screen hasn’t been a issue for me. And as far as a case, as long as it isn’t metal or too thick the wireless charging SHOULD be able to work just fine.

I would venture to suggest waiting until next week to decide on which phone you’ll go with, only because WWDC is on the 4th and it could give you some insight on where things are heading and therefore yourself.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    What are you switching to Halen, moving back to the Samsung phones?
  • EndersShadow
    halen wrote: »
    Not because they all are bad but I happen to use these devices for work and development as well.

Yup, figured it was such. Knew you worked in IT.
    halen wrote: »
    Wanna buy my iPhone X? Went full on back to Apple ecosystem several months ago and ready to sell all of it. Mac mini, Apple 4K, iPad Pro, iPad 5th gen, Apple Watch and the iPhone X.

If I were you I would replace the battery likely for the $30. And do nothing else for time being. Tech always change and if you are constantly waiting for the next newest, good luck... you will never change.

For now like you said, I'm replacing the battery and waiting to see what comes out in the next 6 months. The only reason for waiting for the next version is to drop the price of the 8 Plus and the X, and unless something in the newer model is just that much better, I will be purchasing one of those (like the 8 Plus). Either will be a very decent upgrade for me and be able to keep up with iOS updates, etc for the next 4-5 years (I hope).

I'm not an early adopter, just trying to maximize my purchase by getting as close to "current" as possible while still being price minded. As you so aptly point out, with tech, the second something is released its already outdated as they likely have at least the next if not the next two iterations already in testing by then :smile:.

Shoot me a PM about that Apple Watch (and any thoughts you've got on it). I've been back and forth about buying one recently.

• halen
    edited June 2018
    Enders. Either go with iPhone X or nothing at all. Settle with the battery replacement. There are many things I like about the iPhone X. It is spectacular and ground breaking on many points. People that complain about the ‘notch’....... to be nice... yeah it takes away. To be honest... it has zero on performance and takes away nothing. To be straight forward. People saw the notch before they bought it. To complain about it is silly. The screen is wider than most pictures or movie formats to intrude. It is just silly to complain. Go with 8 or 8 plus? I would rather go with the 7.

halen
  • halen
    What are you switching to Halen, moving back to the Samsung phones?

Hahahahaha. Let’s just say software side, I am getting deep into angular. Hardware and design wise I love the iPhone X. I will tell you what I am getting into if you tell me the new iPads have wireless charging. Lol

Cheers man!
  • halen
    As for Apple Watch or probably any other smart watches. I don’t use any of them. I got it for my wife to play around with and my 30 month daughter one as well.

I am pretty big into watches or also known as time pieces. I don’t give a **** what people call them. I think it is stupid that you have to charge a watch every day. Maybe my mindset is to buy a watch to give me the time.change batteries maybe once a couple years. But not charging daily. Yeah I know what these smart watches do. They make me charge them daily. But the wife and daughter loves the novelty.
  • EndersShadow
    @halen

I went with the battery upgrade for now and thats helped. Phone is still running slow so I plan to wipe it and then do a restore to see if that helps any.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    iOS 12 is gonna speed up that old iPhone significantly if you can hold out that long. There aren’t a ton of new headline features but significant work was done around performance and speeding up older devices in particular. Everything back to the iPhone 5S will get iOS 12, so that covers back to 2013.