I was thinking...

Before I start this thread, I should mention that this was something that I was thinking that I could do, and it is Most definitely not yet set in stone.
I thought the other day about if I sold all my speakers what I would buy. I decided it would be some LSiMs. Then I got to thinking, “hey, if I sell my LSis and the Infinities and a few different things lying around here and there, I could get the money for a pair of used 703s!”
So I thought I would get your suggestions on this. Should I just stick with what I have? Would a pair of Signatures compare to the LSi25s, and if so, should I get them instead?
My dad thinks that I should stick with what I have, but he also likes the idea of me selling two massive pairs of tower speakers and buying a nice small set of bookshelves.
Then there are a few more issues. I would need stands, any suggestions on that? I would need a good sub (got rid of my Velodyne a few weeks back because it couldn’t keep up with the LSis, just haven’t update don’t my signature), any suggestions for that on the used market?
Thanks again for your help and suggestions in the past and future,
Micah

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2018
    I like the 703's for what it is worth...I now running Usher bookies and loving them. but the 703's are very dear to me.

I will leave the sub recommendations to others but I use a SVS in my HT setup and a Omega none ported in my 2 channel setup.

quick edit: I remember when I thought I'd be the happiest camper with a set of Lsi25's so...

think hard and plan this move out before you comment!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    What do you feel is lacking with the LSi25s?

I enjoy 703s a lot. They sound big for bookshelf speakers, but if you put them on stands, it seems like you're sort of back to a similar footprint as the LSis, aren't you?

Plus, 703s are rear ported and you may find you have to have them out much further from the wall than your 25s require, being bottom ported.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Lotta apple and oranges in that question ...IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    voltz wrote: »
    I like the 703's for what it is worth...I now running Usher bookies and loving them. but the 703's are very dear to me.

I will leave the sub recommendations to others but I use a SVS in my HT setup and a Omega none ported in my 2 channel setup.

quick edit: I remember when I thought I'd be the happiest camper with a set of Lsi25's so...

think hard and plan this move out before you comment!

I will for sure. I tend to “overthink” things.
    I thought about SVS but I don’t my know a ton about their products and what they make for smaller rooms.
    The real issue with the 25s is that they are just so big. In my 12x12 room, this is a massive issue (not one I care about but my mom is not happy with the situation, although it wouldn’t be nice to not have to walk around speakers while going through my room). If I had 7s, I would long for the 703s but there wouldn’t be any redeeming factor other than better sound, but here I also get more space in my room.
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2018
    In a 12x12 room and 703's you may not even need a sub, pending on genre
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• mlistens03
    msg wrote: »
    What do you feel is lacking with the LSi25s?

I enjoy 703s a lot. They sound big for bookshelf speakers, but if you put them on stands, it seems like you're sort of back to a similar footprint as the LSis, aren't you?

Plus, 703s are rear ported and you may find you have to have them out much further from the wall than your 25s require, being bottom ported.

The only thing is that they are too big for my room and I have trouble placing them. The 703s I think will sound much better in here and will also be easier to place. I was thinking maybe a nearfield setup with them?
    Besides, they are better speakers, so I’m getting better sound too.
  • mlistens03
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    In a 12x12 room and 703's you may not even need a sub, pending on genre

Genre would be a lot of classic stuff (beatles, LED Zeppelin, Chicago, Elton John, etc.)
  • txcoastal1
    Then probably no sub required

If you felt the need then maybe a SVS SB1000 for that size room

• mlistens03
    Then probably no sub required

If you felt the need then maybe a SVS SB1000 for that size room

Oh. Ok I was expecting to need (or at least want) a small 8 inch or something, but if it isn’t necessary, it can wait.
  • txcoastal1
    In a 12x12 the 703's can stand pretty well on their own

• mlistens03
    One more thing I don’t like about my LSis is that they aren’t pretty. In fact, I find them flat out ugly. With all the abuse they’ve taken from previous owners, plus the ebony finish (I don’t know why I don’t like the ebony but something about it just doesn’t look good to me) makes me think they don’t look good. If they were mint cherries I would love the way they looked.
    They also sound a little dull for my tastes. I like speakers that are a little more bright and forward, which I’ve heard the LSiMs are.
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2018
    Mmmm the top end of the 25's which I own, are like the LSi9's which I have owned (I also still own the Lsi7's)
    Run hotter than the 703's, don't own but sold a lot of them

I know forward as I have also owned the Usher MD2's which i love with Jazz and Blues, but that's another story

• mlistens03
    Mmmm the top end of the 25's which I own, are like the LSi9's which I have owned (I also still own the Lsi7's)
    Run hotter than the 703's, but sold a lot of them

I know forward as I have also owned the Usher MD2's which i love with Jazz and Blues, but that's another story

What do you mean by hotter? I assume it would be similar to saying warmer... I’ve just never heard that used to describe audio gear.
    I have been intrigued by Ushers, and I am open to suggestions other than the 703s. I would like to keep it to around $500 (minus stands, I can save for those afterwards), and they need to be relatively immune to poor placement. The best I can give them now is decent placement, but I don’t have much a choice on that front.
  • txcoastal1
    Hot...forward same thing

• mlistens03
    Hot...forward same thing

Oh ok.
    Maybe I need to get used to more normal speakers. I used my Missions with dried ferrofluid in the tweeters for so long that I love the overly brightness of them. Still have yet to replace that stuff actually... need to get around to that :#
  • mlistens03
    edited May 2018
    So, any suggestions under $500 (for bookshelves or small towers that can still sound good in relatively poor placement) that could outperform LSiM 703s? not including the price for stands
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I have LSiM 703's in a system currently in a room approximating 12X12 and I don't feel the need for a sub. I have them connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-05 and an Oppo BDP, and also use for satellite TV with a LSiM 704 center (soon 706). I didn't especially like the 703's right out of the box. In fact, I was on the verge of returning them or selling them when I first got them, but after an extensive break-in period they stepped up to the plate. I am now constantly amazed at how good these bookies are for the price I paid. The bottom end is truly impressive for a bookie but the entire spectrum is impressive. The speaker is very well engineered and attractive. Polk did a really good job on this series. I'm very glad I never sold them and they're staying for a long time. I've never heard the LSiM 705's which would eliminate the necessity for stands and can't speak to price on the 705's either. All I know is the 703's are the best five bills I've spent in a long while. IMHO, you can't touch anything better for the five hundy or so, the bang for the buck - considering the retail price - is astouding. I have a full LSi set-up in storage - my GF is using my LSi-9's which I really like but the LSiM 703's are a much better speaker. I like the LSi-7's also but a sub helps those and like I said I have not felt the need for a sub with the 703's in a small room. Just remember they need an extensive break-in period, at least mine did.
  • mlistens03
    dromunds wrote: »
    I have LSiM 703's in a system currently in a room approximating 12X12 and I don't feel the need for a sub. I have them connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-05 and an Oppo BDP, and also use for satellite TV with a LSiM 704 center (soon 706). I didn't especially like the 703's right out of the box. In fact, I was on the verge of returning them or selling them when I first got them, but after an extensive break-in period they stepped up to the plate. I am now constantly amazed at how good these bookies are for the price I paid. The bottom end is truly impressive for a bookie but the entire spectrum is impressive. The speaker is very well engineered and attractive. Polk did a really good job on this series. I'm very glad I never sold them and they're staying for a long time. I've never heard the LSiM 705's which would eliminate the necessity for stands and can't speak to price on the 705's either. All I know is the 703's are the best five bills I've spent in a long while. IMHO, you can't touch anything better for the five hundy or so, the bang for the buck - considering the retail price - is astouding. I have a full LSi set-up in storage - my GF is using my LSi-9's which I really like but the LSiM 703's are a much better speaker. I like the LSi-7's also but a sub helps those and like I said I have not felt the need for a sub with the 703's in a small room. Just remember they need an extensive break-in period, at least mine did.

Thanks for your suggestion. There is a pair I’m watching on eBay right now for $500 like new with original boxes and everything, so if they are still around I will grab them. I’m looking forward to hearing the change as they break in.
    What do you suggest for stands around $100 used (or new, if I can get good ones for that price)?
  • dromunds
    I'll leave it to others with more experience with stands for suggestions on stands. I gave the 703's a few hundred hours of break-in. One thing I would also mention is that Polk's LSiM boxes/styrofoam aren't the greatest, so make sure they are insured. Maybe see if the seller can add some Styrofoam packing along the sides, I can't remember off the top of my head where the boxes could use extra protection. Others maybe can comment on the Polk boxes as well and suggest ways to add protection for shipping.
  • mlistens03
    Oh ok I will look into insuring the packages, I’m not 100% sure that they are insured, so thanks for the suggestion!
  • dromunds
    Also, I don't know how much shipping is - but when I bought mine new shipping was free. That made the deal real sweet. Shipping can be pricey so check that out beforehand if you haven't already. Don't know where local is but if you're in a metro area perhaps be patient and try to get a local pair with no shipping. Or maybe there will be more deals from one of the retailers on new 703's with free shipping, not sure if Polk or someone else will have any more close-out pricing on new 703's.... maybe somebody else knows the scoop on that.
  • mlistens03
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-LSiM703-Loudspeaker-Midnight-Mahogany-PAIR-REDUCED-/112993805416
    Here’s the pair I’m looking at, it says it’s $75 shipping, which seems fairly expensive, so I would assume it’s insured, but I don’t know for sure.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    make no assumptions; ask.

:)
  • mlistens03
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    make no assumptions; ask.

:)

I will, but first I have to accumulate the funds for the purchase, and I can’t ask until I’m ready to buy... I think that’s the courteous thing to do anyway ;)
  • dromunds
    I just looked at the ebay posting and it says the boxes arrived pretty beat up and one speaker has a 1/2" dent, which is shown in a photo. That's what I was talking about in the early post. I'd be skeptical of these at that price, they're damaged - maybe patience will be a virtue. I'd keep looking for a pristine pair of 703's, just my two cents.
  • mlistens03
    I saw the pic of the damage on the front, but it isn’t enough to make me rethink. If I do buy, I want pictures of everything and verification that everything’s is working from the guy, perhaps like using a test tone so I can hear every driver working correctly.
    How often do perfect ones come up used? And how often does Polk do their “super sale”?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    If you want the 703’s, play it safe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-LSi-M703-MT-VERNON-CHERRY-Bookshelf-Speaker-EACH-/362198310927

I can’t remember the last time I heard of anybody having a bad experience on Polk’s eBay site.
  • mlistens03
    rpf65 wrote: »
    If you want the 703’s, play it safe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-LSi-M703-MT-VERNON-CHERRY-Bookshelf-Speaker-EACH-/362198310927

I can’t remember the last time I heard of anybody having a bad experience on Polk’s eBay site.
    I would go to Polks eBay site, but the speakers I linked were $500 a pair, not $500 a piece. That us the only reason I was looking at that seller and not Polk refurbished.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I have the 703s and I would not describe them as bright or forward.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I like speakers that are a little more bright and forward, which I’ve heard the LSiMs are.

• mlistens03
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I have the 703s and I would not describe them as bright or forward.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I like speakers that are a little more bright and forward, which I’ve heard the LSiMs are.

Oh. I heard somewhere that they were more forward and bright than the LSis, however I that doesn’t really say that they are bright and/or forward.