Silver, silver clad copper etc.

I think I cured my 707's with Ben's silver IC's and BJC silver clad IC's but maybe it's just the DAC? Does anyone use the above, not necessarily the brand but if so what has silver done for you?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It made me a rich man.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited March 2018
    Jesse, I had 1000 ounces of that carp in the late 80's? held it for years and it did nothing! Funny the theory was that it was better than gold because it was consumed in photo processing lol!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Just messing around Bruce.

Tried some silver Nordost speaker cables once, which were awful and put me off of silver cables for years. Over a year ago I bought some silver umbilical cords from Revelation Audio Labs for a separate power supply, which turned into one of those wow experiences. I know Bluefox loves them too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    Revelation audio labs makes some great cables. I have ICs ,an AES/EBU and i2s cables. DH labs makes some good stuff too.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I think I cured my 707's with Ben's silver IC's and BJC silver clad IC's but maybe it's just the DAC? Does anyone use the above, not necessarily the brand but if so what has silver done for you?

I've used Ben's silver before, a bit harsh on the top end. There is more to a cable than just the metal used. Silver can be harsh or warm, depending. Same with copper. Usually the cheaper cables that use silver, will souned more detailed but a tad harsh, and they lose some tone to the notes that copper excels at. Just my .02
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Ny 707's are no longer "meh" :#
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    FWIW - I have found the Signal Cable Silver IC's to be very nice, and I especially like them combined with Toobs - maybe they detail up a little of that softness, I'm not sure I could exactly say why, but it's a tasty match IMO.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Does anyone use the above, not necessarily the brand but if so what has silver done for you?

Silver has left a gaping hole in my wallet.

In my two channel rig, the interconnects and speaker cables are AudioQuest Sky Gen. 2 solid silver. The power supply umbilicals in my Pass preamp are Revelation Audio Labs solid silver.

In my office rig, the interconnects are PS Audio xStream Transcendent XLR solid silver. The preamp power supply umbilical is Revelation Audio Labs solid silver. Power cords are PS Audio Premier SC solid silver.

In my home theater rig, I have Signal Cable Silver Resolution Reference hybrid silver/copper interconnects.

I don't have a particular preference for silver wire. It just turned out in some cases that the cables I liked the best happened to be made of silver. PS Audio's former top power cord, the Premier SC ($1,793 for 2m length), had solid silver conductors. They later introduced two higher performing, and lower cost power cables that had copper conductors: the AC10 ($850 for 2 meter length) and the AC12 ($1,200 for 2m length) . The higher performance of the AC series cables was achieved using better conductor geometry, very high quality copper, and very high quality insulation and construction techniques.

You may find the thread below interesting:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/56978/silver-cable-economics

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I don't like silver plated, but I use AQ WEL which are full silver speaker wire and full silver power cords. I find them to be excellent.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound