meadowlark speakers

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
for those old enough to remember, meadowlark speakers is back in business.
http://www.meadowlarksings.com/index.htm
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Their models remind me of the menu at Issac's
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    It's nice to see a highly regarded manufacturer rise from the ashes.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I can only remember ever hearing but one set of their speakers, floorstanders, don't recall the model. I was not impressed. Hopefully, things have changed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    edited May 2018
    it's a shame that he has replaced scanspeak drivers, transmission line cabinets, and first order crossovers(the things that made his speakers sound good) for cheap dsp and class d amps because of it being cheaper to design and make the new speakers.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I really enjoyed Meadowlark Lemon, wait, what? So with the new guts may be these will be lemons?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    marvda1 wrote: »
    it's a shame that he has replaced scanspeak drivers, transmission line cabinets, and first order crossovers(the things that made his speakers sound good) for cheap dsp and class d amps because of it being cheaper to design and make the new speakers.

I don't know Marv, seems many are going that route. Meridian was probably the first in that way back time machine. Legacy is doing it, Kef did it with the LS50's, not too many complaining about the sound so there has to be something to it.

Cheaper class D and DSP, I'd take it with a grain of salt and judge on an individual basis. If they are however going to use cheaper drivers also, and still charge the same as their speakers with top notch drivers, then I might have a problem with it.

If we are going to use technology in audio to manufacture things cheaper, should we as a consumer not expect cheaper prices then ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Osprey's Tony?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Osprey's Tony?

I dunno man, that Bonecrusher model is more my speed. Plus the name is just frickin' cool.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I remember these; the Kestrel had quite a following.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    I really enjoyed Meadowlark Lemon, wait, what? So with the new guts may be these will be lemons?

Play "Sweet Georgia Brown" through these, and you'll swear he was dribbling in your listening room.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    tonyb wrote: »
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Osprey's Tony?

I dunno man, that Bonecrusher model is more my speed. Plus the name is just frickin' cool.

I might have to invest in the Bonecrusher model to listen to Headcrusher B)

https://youtu.be/g2GzD8NAhZA
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Tonyb, it seems like I heard the Kestrel somewhere along the line, but, I don't remember it leaving any favorable impression on me.
  • tonyb
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Tonyb, it seems like I heard the Kestrel somewhere along the line, but, I don't remember it leaving any favorable impression on me.

I hear ya, wish I could recall the model I heard, but was nothing special to my ears also. Maybe I just didn't hear the right model, every brand has a turkey or 2 in their lineup.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Great LINK!

I went there and read some of the posts. I might read them all!

I think this post was like I experienced yesterday with Wayne, the Beatles music memorabilia, and Hard Rock acquisition expert, enlightening!

The designer of Meadow Lark speakers gives his insight to designing challenges and REAL WORLD expectations for US ALL. Great Reading!!!

http://www.hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/what-amps-were-meadowlarks-voiced-with.3523/
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Yes, it's nice indeed that he joined that board.
    It would be a little inappropriate, probably, for him to spend too much time here, though. ;)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Yea. he doesn't seem to care about DAC's, does he?

He's more old school when it comes to source components. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Were Meadowlarks one of the VERY few time aligned speakers?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Were Meadowlarks one of the VERY few time aligned speakers?

I think that meadowlark was a high end manufacturer that made powered speakers, and went under in the late 90s-early 2000s. Once again, though, not sure. Is good to see it back from the dead, though!
  • joecoulson
    They had a model called Blue Herons that were 1st order crossover and time “coherent”
    Read up on them and most long time audiophiles consider them to be the best speakers ever made. Never heard them myself.
  • joecoulson
    Opinions matter
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Yeah there is a reason they went under, and I don’t think it is that they made the best speakers ever.
  • marvda1
    the reason they went under was because their speakers were expensive to manufacture and they did not charge enough for them.

no business sense.
    Puritan PSM156