Once you go TiVo you can never go back!

Comments

• tonyb wrote: »
    WLDock wrote: »
    @WLDock
    So you would at least have to keep your internet with Comcast.
    Yes, that's the plan. Right now, my total bill after taxes for the Triple Play Package is about $238. That's too much, it's killing my pocket. I'm thinking OTA, TiVo, Android box w/Kodi, Netflix and we should be able to find all of our shows.

Mines 260 a month, HBO/SHO....2 hd boxes. Trip[le play with phone and internet. Plus another 20 a month for Netflix, which the wife likes but I don't care for much.

Problem with going with so many different sources, it will take you forever to watch something seeing you'll have to go through a variety of menu's.

@WLDock
    @tonyb
    Look at my previous posts in this thread to see the long list of what you can access through a TiVo (*and it's an incomplete one at that*)
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    TiVo Bolt VOX
    Man TiVo has done it AGAIN!!
    The new interface and the voice control are OFF THE CHAIN!
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    My first TiVo was a DirectTV TiVo and loved it, I used to time shift a hella lot of shows before HD. For some years after TiVo went on decline with cable companies offering DVR services. I never bought into them again. I dumped cabletv and went to online streaming. With the shift to HD I purchased a TV Guide driven Sony DHG-HDD500 and it rocked for HD OTA recording. Sadly the support for OTA TV Guide went away. Eventually I went back to anti-cable FiOS (hate cable) and looked in the market TiVo was nowhere to be found and decided to do HTPC with a Ceton quad tuner cable card driven DVR back in 2009 running Win7 MCE. Most of the original HTPC still lives and certainly made its ROI! It’s over kill but 2 years ago I bought a 1TB Toshiba SSD, over the years I’ve replaced 2 mechanical NAS rated WD Red 2TB drives both had failed running 24x7 and I also replaced 3 low speed fans, the bearings worn out. The MCE is multi room I use a 360 MCE extender for the office TV and can watch live TV or the entire HTPC library.

I did the math HTPC vs DVR rentals and I saved quite a bit of $$$. I get FiOS ultimate HD, Free HBO, Free Showtime bundle for $53, internet is another $60 $113 all in with taxes and they also added 2 years free STARZ. Best of live, recorded and streaming.

I would probably do it again with a USB Ceton tuner and an Intel NUC or some fanless HTPC.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • honestaquarian
    mpitogo wrote: »
    My first TiVo was a DirectTV TiVo and loved it, I used to time shift a hella lot of shows before HD. For some years after TiVo went on decline with cable companies offering DVR services. I never bought into them again. I dumped cabletv and went to online streaming. With the shift to HD I purchased a TV Guide driven Sony DHG-HDD500 and it rocked for HD OTA recording. Sadly the support for OTA TV Guide went away. Eventually I went back to anti-cable FiOS (hate cable) and looked in the market TiVo was nowhere to be found and decided to do HTPC with a Ceton quad tuner cable card driven DVR back in 2009 running Win7 MCE. Most of the original HTPC still lives and certainly made its ROI! It’s over kill but 2 years ago I bought a 1TB Toshiba SSD, over the years I’ve replaced 2 mechanical NAS rated WD Red 2TB drives both had failed running 24x7 and I also replaced 3 low speed fans, the bearings worn out. The MCE is multi room I use a 360 MCE extender for the office TV and can watch live TV or the entire HTPC library.

I did the math HTPC vs DVR rentals and I saved quite a bit of $$$. I get FiOS ultimate HD, Free HBO, Free Showtime bundle for $53, internet is another $60 $113 all in with taxes and they also added 2 years free STARZ. Best of live, recorded and streaming.

I would probably do it again with a USB Ceton tuner and an Intel NUC or some fanless HTPC.

@mpitogo
    I FINALLY got Verizon FiOS and switched over from RCN using my TiVo Roamio+. Then I got my hands on the Bolt VOX and it SCREAMS on FiOS!!
  • mpitogo
    @honestaquarian sweet. I’m a FiOS fan.

Switching to TiVo would be a bit pricey for me, $399 for 1TB vox + $549 all in sub, and $179 for the vox mini (MCE extender replacement). I’ll just run the HTPC until my Ceton tuner dies, everything else is pretty inexpensive to replace, mainly stuff that spins like fans, and no more HDD but the SSD is finite but it should last with SSD wear leveling technology.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
  • honestaquarian
    I got my my 1TB Bolt on eBay for half that $399. I switched my yearly subscription from my Roamio+ over to the Bolt. I already have a Mini that came with the lifetime subscription when I bought it. Once I switched over to the Bolt and set it up so that the mini would work off of it, the Mini automatically downloaded the New Experience interface that the Bolt uses.
  • mpitogo
    what!!! The mini needs a sub too!!!??! All it is is an extender for the main DVR.,,
  • honestaquarian
    They come with lifetime subscriptions
  • Just got my curiosity about this piqued on another thread. Does anyone have a 4K capable TiVo BOLT and high speed internet and stream 4K from any of the services like Netflix who provide it?
    If so then how is it working for you?
    Which service is the best/has the best 4K programming?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I just got a TiVo Bolt Vox working Friday. It took 4 cable cards before one worked. In regard to your question, no I haven't tried any streaming yet. I'm still figuring out how to use it with cable. The instructions are non-existent, but it looks like I did record SNL last night, and will soon find out if Big Bang Theory records tonight.

I have to admit, I do like the high-def cable channels. That was a worth while upgrade.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox wrote: »
    I just got a TiVo Bolt Vox working Friday. It took 4 cable cards before one worked. In regard to your question, no I haven't tried any streaming yet. I'm still figuring out how to use it with cable. The instructions are non-existent, but it looks like I did record SNL last night, and will soon find out if Big Bang Theory records tonight.

I have to admit, I do like the high-def cable channels. That was a worth while upgrade.

@BlueFox Who is your cable/Internet Service Provider?
    If you have any questions about the TiVo, feel free to ask as I also have a Bolt VOX with a oneTerabyte hard drive. This is my fourth TiVo.
  • BlueFox
    Comcast. Thanks, I am sure I will have questions galore.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • @BlueFox Just so you know Comcast allows you to access their on demand programing from a TiVo. The only other providers who do this are the smaller ones who rent TiVo boxes (like RCN,Charter or Suddenlink) and you can only access their on demand programming with the TiVo's that you rent from them. Comcast allows you to access it from a TiVo that your purchased.
  • Hey @BlueFox
    How is your TiVo working for you? Any questions?
  • BlueFox
    edited December 2018
    Well, it works fine. However, the hard drive always spins, even when not being used. So it is noisy. Unfortunately, I have good hearing, and it is really annoying. I ended up putting it on the floor on a block under an alcove created by the bottom shelf, and that helped muffle the sound.

57h5iehxeyt8.jpeg

Post edited by BlueFox on

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Hey Bud, that could be a cooling fan. I'm not sure on the newer Bolt models, but my Roamio does it, too. The OE fan failed, and I replaced it with what was supposed to be a comparable one - better, even, supposedly - but it's a little louder. If I reboot it, it's significantly louder until the system settles, but, eh, yeah, it can be a nuisance.

I wonder if there's anything on the TiVo forums about this.
    Could always replace it with a large SSD? :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • @BlueFox Have you tried any of the streaming or Comcast On Demand yet?
    @msg Which Roamio do you have?
    I used to have the Roamio+ with the 1 terabyte hard drive.
  • BlueFox
    No streaming, etc. I watch very little TV. If I watch a movie it is a Blue Ray I either bought, or my Netflix selection. I am retiring the end of April, and just might cancel my cable service.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I have the Bolt and it’s noisy as heck. Love the device and it’s abilities, just wish it wasn’t like a 90’s gateway PC
  • BlueFox
    Agree 100%. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    I forget which one I have. It's the Roamio that came with the 500GB disk, I think the first one after the OTA. I upgraded the drive to 2TB. I'd like to upgrade the the model with gigabit ethernet, and was watching for them on Ebay with lifetime service, but man, people want a lot for the ones you'd actually want to buy, so I left off it.

I scaled my cable service way back, too. I don't watch a whole lot of TV lately, myself, and was just "collecting" shows and movies more than was actually watching anything. It was starting to feel like a responsibility I was shirking!
    I disabled signatures.
  • It's funny, I don't have any noise problems with my Bolt (Fingers crossed that it'll stay that way) I fought for two years to get Verizon FiOS, so I am enjoying the fruits of my labors. I had a Roamio+ when I switched from RCN to FiOS at the beginning of this year.Then my patience paid off on eBay and managed to get my hands on a good, used Bolt 1Terabyte in black. I tried the lifetime subscription once with my original Premier XL and decided I was going to stick with the annual subscription.
  • BlueFox
    Well, you either have an exceptional Bolt, or bad hearing. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox wrote: »

Why I oughta!!! :p>:);):D
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    BlueFox wrote: »

Why I oughta!!! :p>:);):D

I take it the Bolt is the same...
  • The same as what?
    You lost me there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • honestaquarian
    edited January 2019
    Has anyone had any problems with their TiVo Mini after upgrading the software to the new dimensions version? I'm not talking about the newer Mini VOX. I mean the older mini's.
  • msg
    I almost accidentally did a voluntary update a few weeks ago while feeling around the system, and checked for updates, but caught it in time without installing. No sir, no updates if I can help it, at least not by my hand.

Are you having issues with it?
    I disabled signatures.
  • This particular time it was just a loose HDMI cable.
    Other times the Mini freezes up when I am using the apps.