Magnifi Max SR keeps acting up---please help!!!

I've only had the system for 3 weeks. I'm on my 2nd one. The first one worked ok(only intermittent popping and read about interference, moved the sub and problem solved) until I remembered reading about connecting it to wifi for updating purposes. Connected it to wifi and it worked for two days then got itself into a power cycle loop that wouldn't stop. Turned itself off and on every 1-2 minutes. Only fix was a new unit. Installed new unit w/o connecting to wifi and it worked great for two days then the surrounds and sub kept disconnecting every 5-10 minutes. Support says it may be a router interference or content issue. I had kept it in movie mode and play ALL content through the system. They suggested hitting music note button twice and playing all content this way which is what I've done since Saturday. Now, sub and surrounds are popping and crackling terribly. Turned off unit. If it is interference from my wifi router, that is pretty annoying since that is what is delivering the fastest 4K content to my tv which is what I bought this soundbar for...and they can't be close together and work? Please help!

Answers

• LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    Welcome to the "snap, crackle and pop" crowd. Hopefully, some official response on solution will be coming soon.
  • 2hyped12
    2hyped12 Posts: 5
    On my second unit as well. The crackling and popping is from the subwoofer is ridiculous. I think POLK should at least acknowledge that a problem exists.
  • LeeSoFL
    My sub on the MaxSR is solid, it's the rear speakers that chirp and pop.
  • Chirping and popping here too. I have the latest firmware, bought a power conditioner...issue remains.
  • annemai
    annemai Posts: 1
    Happens with mine too... chirping and popping from the surround speakers... sigh...
  • +1
    I have random popping from the sub and chirping from the surrounds. FW79
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    A resolution and firmware update is being tested
    See thread below

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2409153#Comment_2409153
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • henninge
    henninge Posts: 52
    See my poll and vote. I'm getting pretty choked and it seems I'm not alone
  • LeeSoFL
    edited May 2018
    deleted - duplicate post
    Post edited by LeeSoFL on
  • LeeSoFL
    THIS POST MIGHT APPEAR IN OTHER THREADS REGARDING MAXSR PERFORMANCE

A few weeks ago, Polk asked me if I'd give their beta v85 a try.

(I don't think I signed an NDA- ah joke)

There were three of us that had the new software pushed onto their MagnifiMaxSR.

After three weeks of regular use, I've told Polk that there is a significant improvement in overall performance. NOTE: I had never experienced any sub problem with connection or irregular performance.

The harsh momentary burst of "chirp" (of the rear) has been eliminated. The faint pop in one or both (sometimes alternating) rear speakers has been dramatically reduced. Occasionally, I hear what sounds like a distant firecracker, but nowhere near as bad as it had been. There is still some room for improvement with the pop in the rear.

What I've come to feel about this whole issue is, that it is NOT an issue of transmitting signal from bar to remote speaker, but is related to some anomaly in the actual content or source of the content.

Example 1: After v85, watching a program on cable (xfinity xg1v4 box) there was a bright open caption and the rears gave the faint pop. I replayed the scene and it popped again at the same place. I have my devices connected to the Sony and then the ARC from the TV to the soundbar. I re-routed the cable box right to the soundbar, played the same scene and it popped that way too.

Example 2: After v85, while playing live "Homeland," which had no issues, all was fine until the credits. When they put the corner box of what's on next week, the rears started chirping quite a bit. Many short bursts. The oddity here is the program is in DD, yet when they play the next week clip, the audio from that material is almost inaudible. My feeling is that next week clip is in 2 channel, and somehow that is **** up the 5.1 the show is transmitted in. This 2-ch over 5.1 could be one of the things triggering the remaining infrequent chirp.

BELOW IS THE EMAIL I SENT TO POLK;
    MagnifiMax SR Performance After Update v85

I received the MaxSR just after Christmas and have been using it regularly since. My TV is the Sony 75Z9D, and I use the ARC from the TV to the soundbar.

My cable provider (xfinity) installed their newest XG1v4 4K box when I got the TV mid 2017. I use the inputs on the TV for cable, Roku 4K device and Bluray player. The soundbar receives those devices through the (HDMI Out/TV) ARC input. Two other devices are hooked up to the soundbar, a Sony 4K player in HDMI1, and the Optical In from the Roku, so I can play Roku music channels without powering on the TV.

After making mention of the pops in the rear speakers (which I've described as sounding like distant fireworks) and a loud digital chirp, that lasts only a fraction of a second (also from the rear speakers,) I was contacted to beta test the version 85 software.

First off, the elimination of the digital chirp has been significantly improved. The faint pops, also less frequent, still seems to be an issue,

Before the update, the chirp occurred nightly for one broadcast I watch. ABC World News, a network half-hour program which is carried on my local ABC affiliate, chirped loudly, several times during the broadcast. Since the update, that is no longer a problem on that program. It had to be a problem with the way the program was being transmitted out of New York and received here in Palm Beach, by my local station.

When watching "Homeland" live, this past Sunday, the show played with no audio issue, but then during the closing credits, when they run a preview of the next episode (in a small corner box over credits) the rear speakers chirped several times. The show is 5.1 DD, and the preview at the end is in 2 channel stereo.

All my cables are certified 18Gbps, new when I got the TV last year. I switched the ARC cable when the audio problem became regular. There was no difference with a changed cable.

Apps like Netflix and Prime, both 4K sources from the Sony TV, (also on the ARC cable) play without chirps, but do have occasional rear channel popping.

Overall, the v85 is a major improvement in solving the issues. If I experience an occasional, faint, single pop, I feel it's something I could live with. Maybe other people's comments might steer you closer to completely eliminate these glitches.
  • LeeSoFL
    edited May 2018
    deleted - duplicate post
  • LeeSoFL
    edited May 2018
    deleted - duplicate posting
  • LeeSoFL
    edited May 2018
    deleted - duplicate post