Wilson Tune Tot

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,520
Just released today, seems like a nice little system to have for places without room for a floor stander, a bedroom, above a nightstand or desk.

I would like to experience one, but the price is absurd and everything you see in "optional".

http://wilsonaudio.com/products/tunetot/feature=video
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    The retail price is $9800 or $10,500.... :#
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Daaang.....someone over there should really put the crack pipe down.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2018
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The retail price is $9800 or $10,500.... :#

Grills are $299 I believe, the rings are $600 I believe... the base is $1299??

Geez

Makes my Blue Focals look like a screamin' deal
  • Joey_V
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    The answer to the A3?

If the answer is a small bookshelf with a 5" woofer
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Here's my answer to a small area and my $$$ dilemma; B)
    wejywoonnvxe.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    How do they do it so cheap?
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Even Wilson spikes are $$$$.

Come on....we really have to buy the grills as OPTIONS?

What's involved in making those little GEMS?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I try to avoid anything that has eco in it.

Think of it as any Mexican restaurant with the word taco in it.

Usually means an over priced mediocre product at best.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited May 2018
    Options
    They are expensive because they use dope in the manufacturing process, they admit it right in their specs...

5.75 inches (14.61 cm) - Doped Paper Pulp
    1 inch (2.54 cm) Dome - Doped Silk Fabric

Now I think of it, Polk used to do the same thing back in the day.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Even Wilson spikes are $$$$.

Come on....we really have to buy the grills as OPTIONS?

What's involved in making those little GEMS?

Right?

If I were buying a pair, I'd be insulted that I have to buy the ring and the platform and the grills in addition to spending a bloated penny for one.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm done wasting my time and money chasing the ultimate sound. I'm settling with good, solid equipment and saying to heck with all the madness. They've lost their dam minds.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

The guy's house is a total mess.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Those aren't just random stacks of junk on the floor,they're acoustical treatments.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Marketing hype. Meh.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    edited May 2018
    Options
    So the woofers look familiar, those look to be scanspeak revelator 5.5” similar to what’s in the Totem Hawks. For that price range I would rather go A3. Both the new WATT and A3 have incredible cabinet construction.

a1vv67awb4bv.jpeg
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Joey_V
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

The guy's house is a total mess.

I have come to believe Michael Fremer is a lightweight hoarder...
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2018
    Options
    mpitogo wrote: »
    So the woofers look familiar, those look to be scanspeak revelator 5.5” similar to what’s in the Totem Hawks. For that price range I would rather go A3. Both the new WATT and A3 have incredible cabinet construction.

a1vv67awb4bv.jpeg

I’m sure the new Tune Tot has mighty construction, but come on $10,000?

I would put up either my Sonus Faber Olympica 3 or Focal Kanta 2 against it and like my odds.

Though it did cross my mind to have a pair of Tune Tots in the master bedroom above the dresser flanking the TV

Wife would have an aneurysm if she found out though

She almost kicked me out after the blue Kanta 2 arrived
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Options
    I actually got to hear these. I was in my neighborhood stereo store Wednesday picking up a new turntable and PS Audio Phono Converter while they were setting up their new Tune Tots. I have to admit they were one of the most impressive speakers I've ever heard. They just completely disappeared. The music literally seemed to be coming out of thin air. I wouldn't spend $10k on them, but unless I win the lottery, I wouldn't spend that much for any speakers.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2018
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm done wasting my time and money chasing the ultimate sound. I'm settling with good, solid equipment and saying to heck with all the madness. They've lost their dam minds.

That’s basically word for word what I was going to say...

I know fully well that my KEF LS50W aren’t the final word in sound quality but they’re certainly good enough for me to get maximum enjoyment out of my music.
  • tonyb
    Options

That’s basically word for word what I was going to say...

I know fully well that my KEF LS50W aren’t the final word in sound quality but they’re certainly good enough for me to get maximum enjoyment out of my music.

....and that kids, is the name of the game, maximum enjoyment of music.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Options
    These two words have a ton of Wisdom and also Freedom Giving;

" GOOD ENOUGH "

It's taken me over 50 years to to let those two words enter my thoughts.

I was a perfectionist almost all my life. Not anymore! :)
  • tonyb
    Options
    Not many can afford to be a perfectionist in this audio hobby of ours. Even if you are, it rarely ends, your always chasing that last 3% to squeeze out and it always seems to elude you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've heard systems here that I swear couldn't sound any better over and over.

But I still like to buy good or great stereo deals that I couldn't afford most of my life.

Buying the Polk RTi12's were on my list and now I own them. But I still have to replace the blown resistors for the tweeters to hear their full potential.

Those RSL's I just got...WOW... AWESOME sounding and BEAUTIFUL speakers.

I wish I had a warehouse so I could rotate speakers that are in my collection.

I'm getting things done now...little by little. ;)B)
  • Joey_V
    Options
    BC6 wrote: »
    I actually got to hear these. I was in my neighborhood stereo store Wednesday picking up a new turntable and PS Audio Phono Converter while they were setting up their new Tune Tots. I have to admit they were one of the most impressive speakers I've ever heard. They just completely disappeared. The music literally seemed to be coming out of thin air. I wouldn't spend $10k on them, but unless I win the lottery, I wouldn't spend that much for any speakers.

Really? Well well
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2018
    Options

" GOOD ENOUGH "

I agree. That's what I say too.

In audio (among others), it's an impossibility to have it all. It just costs too much and at some point, it just doesn't make any remote fiscal sense.

I have lots of audiophile friends text me on a daily basis about equipment that just is over the top, I have a friend who has the same main speaker as I do but is looking to upgrade to a pair of $70,000 speakers.... I'm just left thinking.... why?

I mean, honestly break it down to it's most basic parts. Spend a fortune for what? To hear the last ounce of minutia from a Greg Porter record? Really? Everyone has a line on the sand...
  • Tony M
    Options

" GOOD ENOUGH "

I agree. That's what I say too.

In audio (among others), it's an impossibility to have it all.

WHAT ? And I've been trying to get it all for 15 years now...I guess I just give up and listen to what I have then... :(:D

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited May 2018
    Options

"The perfect is the enemy of the good"

Plus...

there's a market segment for luxury brands that is an order of magnitude (if not several orders of magnitude) beyond what even rabidly dedicated fans can afford/justify/rationalize. McIntosh, e.g., by and large, operates in that space (I would opine). Wilson Audio, I would likewise opine, is another. There are many others, selling extremely expensive, often stunning equipment at stratospheric prices.

The value of many such brands is in the owning, not necessarily the using.

Interestingly, that doesn't necessarily mean the stuff is bad. It doesn't even necessarily mean that the stuff isn't a good value. It does mean that it's aimed at a market with very different interests and "needs" from the brands it supports.
  • Tony M
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Well said!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited May 2018
    Options

This is exactly how I feel. I’ve made some nice additions to my system that have it sounding spectacular. A friend of mine owns an audio shop, So I listen to a lot of systems in the 6 figure range. When I go home and turn mine on, I don’t feel as though I’m missing anything. Hopefully nothing breaks lol

I have a few friends who are nuts, they swap gear in and out like they are changing socks. I don’t understand it. I do know that it can be addicting, but the financial loss must be crazy.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.