Polk SDA 1

Montoya
Montoya Posts: 506
Finally got a set of the SDA 1’s and I have questions. Dimensional tweeter do I remove the fuse to bypass it? Do I upgrade the original 1000 tweeters? Changing out the caps they read to spec but should I change them anyway? So far I am enjoying them in stock form using the link cable a blade blade hooked up to a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP using the 4ohm tap.

Comments

• Montoya
    Also I didn’t check 100% of the caps just the larger values and these have no poly caps they have the fuses.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Pics???
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Yes pull fuse on dimensional side to disable. They can sound pretty good. I replaced all the caps and resistors on mine with sonicap and Mills. Changing the tweeter will require some modifications to the hole. The proper replacement will be RD-0194.
  • Montoya
    Thanks for the reply sometimes it’s better to hear updated news. Referencing old news sometimes gets you in trouble as bigger and better things are discovered. kackia0ptb5a.jpeg
  • Montoya
    After taken out the fuse I prefer the dimensional tweeter active. Have I been smoking too much of that funny stuff? What am I suppose to gain by bypassing them?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    A lot less artificial sound. The SDA tweeters creates a phasey effect, which is why Polk got rid of them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Montoya
    F1nut wrote: »
    A lot less artificial sound. The SDA tweeters creates a phasey effect, which is why Polk got rid of them.

I see that makes sense with over processed studio albums I prefer the dimensional tweeter. However I noticed with better recordings they sound better without after playing with them some more. Still not sure I am going to keep them my ProAc D30R sound worlds apart from them in a good way. Not to say they are not good because they are very good but I prefer the ProAc.
  • F1nut
    The original crossover components are shot by now, so you're not getting what they are capable of.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Montoya
    Ok so going to put that in the hat rebuild the crossovers will start searching for a schematic.
    The original crossover components are shot by now, so you're not getting what they are capable of.

• F1nut
    It would be best to pull a crossover to get the values directly from it. That said, your model was not the best effort by Polk. The later models are much better, so I wouldn't put much money into them.

President of Club Polk

• Montoya
    Thanks for the input will just sell them off.
    It would be best to pull a crossover to get the values directly from it. That said, your model was not the best effort by Polk. The later models are much better, so I wouldn't put much money into them.

• F1nut
    Just curious, I could never get into the ProAc sound, what do find so appealing about it?

President of Club Polk

• Montoya
    They sound very good for the money spent fit and finish are outstanding low level detail is excellent as well as sound stage. Which ones did you try? The D48R and K6, K8 are killer my goal is to get the K6. I had Sonus Elipsa and the K6 absolutely trounce them in my opinion. I loved my Elipsa and before that my olympica III which the ProAc are nothing like but I just love how these speakers sound with tube equipment in my opinion they do more things right than wrong.
    Just curious, I could never get into the ProAc sound, what do find so appealing about it?

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited May 2018
    My ears LOVE ribbon tweeters too!

I just partly read some reviews of those ProAc D30R speakers and they were Positive. :)B) At 3,100.00 a pr. they should sound nice. Those cabinets are 1st class! ;):p

That sizzle from Ribbons energizes my eardrums. B) Remember, one of my alltime favorite speakers I've owned and still do are those Newform Research's with 4' ribbons on each speaker. :D<3
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Montoya
    3100.00 a pair I wish
    Tony M wrote: »
    My ears LOVE ribbon tweeters too!

I just partly read some reviews of those ProAc D30R speakers and they were Positive. :)B) At 3,100.00 a pr. they should sound nice. Those cabinets are 1st class! ;):p

That sizzle from Ribbons energizes my eardrums. B) Remember, one of my alltime favorite speakers I've owned and still do are those Newform Research's with 4' ribbons on each speaker. :D<3

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited May 2018
    Oh. :o ..I see. They are on sale on this site I looked at. Could be a mistake in pricing!

http://www.hifiaudiostereo.com/home/39-proac-response-d30r-speaker.html
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Montoya
    Not sure but looks like the place is in Indonesia possibly different currency. A dealer will discount them in store but they typically are never on sale.
    Tony M wrote: »
    Oh. :o ..I see. They are on sale on this site I looked at. Could be a mistake in pricing!

http://www.hifiaudiostereo.com/home/39-proac-response-d30r-speaker.html

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Montoya wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply sometimes it’s better to hear updated news. Referencing old news sometimes gets you in trouble as bigger and better things are discovered. kackia0ptb5a.jpeg
    Be sure you're removing the correct fuse. The outer tweeters are the dimensionals, inner are stereo
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/