Need "in between" headphones

kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
I need something on between in ear buds and giant over the hear headphones. Something that is compact or folds up but also cuts down on much of the ambient backgroup noise and people yammering and babies screaming on an airplane....thanks

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    edited April 2018
    How about plain, tapered earplugs? (I like the 3M ones you can get at Home Depot; good for several uses. There's a trick to earplugs if you haven't had good results, and you can adjust depth for tailoring damping)

I've been curious about the ATH-M50X for a while now. They fold up and will make you a happy school girl.
    On a plane, I'd possibly still wear the earplugs, too.

8tx82305i6c3.jpg
    oz65idll1g54.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    Those look cool but still a bit big and burly. My backpack space is limited due I have to carry on my laptop....Ill check out reviews though
  • msg
    True, yeah.

Is this just for a one-off type use, or something you might use regularly?
    For size, seems like noise canceling IEMs might be a good option, but maybe not worth the expense for something decent unless they'll see regular use?
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    mainly travel...not into them for home use
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Momemtums are light, comfortable and as you can see fold up. Unless someone looks at your ears, most won't know you are wearing them. They are also durable, they sit in my backpack with everything else and survive just fine.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    FWIW (and I am - seriously - not a headphone maven, I'm afraid) -- I don't know that any of them fold but the Grado headphones are svelte and also sound pretty good.

http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    msg wrote: »
    How about plain, tapered earplugs? (I like the 3M ones you can get at Home Depot; good for several uses. There's a trick to earplugs if you haven't had good results, and you can adjust depth for tailoring damping)

I've been curious about the ATH-M50X for a while now. They fold up and will make you a happy school girl.
    On a plane, I'd possibly still wear the earplugs, too.

8tx82305i6c3.jpg
    oz65idll1g54.png

I got shoe!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    These aren’t the best headphones ever, but you could get JBL Synchros e30 headphones, fold up nice and small, but no noise canceling. p179wovlmra5.jpg
    For size scale that is a 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter.
    The get pretty big as well, I have a fairly large head and they fit me fine.
    zgjbrq299asl.jpg
    I believe there is also a wireless version, but last I checked all the Ross and Marshall’s stores nearby are full of the wired ones for around $30, I believe they retailed for something like $75.
    Nothing too amazing, but I like them and thought you might too. Good clarity, very balanced sound, and good soundstage too. My only real issue with them is that they use a smaller headphone jack to plug into the headphones than your phone, so if you lose the cord, you are stuck.
    nvnzaxza3mwe.jpg
    The bigger one is a 3.5mm, and I don’t remember what size the smaller one is.
    So basically, if you find a pair at Ross or Marshall’s, you’ve got a crazy deal because they sell them for soo cheap.
  • msg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    I got shoe!
    DAMmit. That's not what I meant!
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Sennhieser Momentum (or as they are now known as the HD series) on ears...not too massive, even the over ears aren't bad for size and they fold up. I have a pair around here....lemme snap a pic of the over ears folded up next to an iPhone 6S Plus...

The new HD1 with Momentum Over ear, real compact folding up. I know your not wanting overs but they get small folded...real small. As with my photo of my Momentum 2 over ears beside a cell phone.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd1-over-ear-headphones-with-mic

4c6xldnbrxlt.jpeg
    These may be the ticket....small enough but over the ear is fine w noise cancelling is perfect to keep my sanity while travelling. Now to find a sale! Thanks for all the ideas....
  • kevhed72
    Will they greatly reduce the droning sound of jet engines or screaming babies during flight? If so, Im sold!
  • kevhed72
    edited April 2018
    They look smaller than the Polk Ultrafocus 8000 I bought awhile ago and really liked but too bulky to travel with. Plus, my 12 year old borrowed those for gaming and I never got them back!
  • cfrizz
    While they don't have NC, they block out sound very well. I take noisy trains and trolleys to work and have to put up with stupid kids who are always making a lot of noise to get attention. Once I put on the music the din goes away.

They are much smaller than the 8000s and have a much better fit. Once put on and adjusted, they stay put!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    nbrowser wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »
    They are much smaller than the 8000s and have a much better fit. Once put on and adjusted, they stay put!

And comfy for hours on end, even with glasses.

Absolutely, another reason why I love them!
  • kevhed72
    Whats the scoop on the Seinnhauser website....why do they ask for device type? I found a bunch of new "other" pairs on Ebay but they have mave made contact with human hair prior...which is funky.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ooh, ooh -- here you go.

kmo8g47qbekg.png
  • kevhed72
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ooh, ooh -- here you go.

kmo8g47qbekg.png
    That is awesome....seriously.

• kevhed72 wrote: »
    Whats the scoop on the Seinnhauser website....why do they ask for device type?

They ask for device type because the controller attached to the headphone wire also controls vol up/down & a button to answer the phone... possibly other functions that vary from i phones, android phones & others.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    These might be right up your alley @kevhed72

TaoTronics TT-WH17

aptX, Active Noise Cancellation, 20 hours of battery life.

61Zy7MIYc4L._SL1000_.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I use my Ulrafocus 8000 Polks on a plane and they work amazing. Big and bulky but come with a nice case. Even though I do not like Bose speakers , their noise canceling headphones are supposed to be among the best. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”