Vinyl to DSD conversion software

I think I had a free one but lost the link. Hep!

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited April 2018
    TASCAM HiRes Editor is the only free one I know.
    http://tascam.com/product/hi-res_editor/

Record in .wav, edit, then convert to DSD. You'd need to record in 24bit-192k or higher if possible to make it worth the effort. Honestly, I'm not sure there is an audio benefit in converting from High bitrate PCM (which can be shrunk with lossless FLAC) to DSD. I know DarqueKnight did that, but he did it to avoid audio dropouts or something like that. Unless its a problem with your DAC, I would compare a few and see if its worth the effort and larger storage requirements.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited April 2018
    I am waiting to get my hands on one of these... They should have some new software soon that will work out the bugs. I will be happy to do copies for anyone after I get it.

https://www.musicdirect.com/accessories/SweetVinyl-Sugarcube-SC2
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I am waiting to get my hands on one of these... They should have some new software soon that will work out the bugs. I will be happy to do copies for anyone after I get it.

https://www.musicdirect.com/accessories/SweetVinyl-Sugarcube-SC2

The demo of the SC-1 at AXPONA was very impressive. I am tempted to save my pennies and get one.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    billbillw wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not sure there is an audio benefit in converting from High bitrate PCM (which can be shrunk with lossless FLAC) to DSD. I know DarqueKnight did that, but he did it to avoid audio dropouts or something like that.

I converted all my FLAC files to DSD for two reasons:

1. The DSD files sound better.

2. My DAC mutes the first two seconds of a file if the sample rate is different from the preceding file. It does this because it requires some time to lock onto the new sample rate. Converting all files to the same format avoided the muting issue.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @DarqueKnight which software did you use?
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    @afterburnt

I used VinylStudio ($30.00)

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/

VinylStudio features a very good click and pop editor, but I didn't use it because:

1. My records had little to no surface noise to begin with.
    2. I was ripping vinyl to DSD...and DSD, unlike PCM, cannot be edited. To use the click and pop editor, I would have had to rip to FLAC PCM, do the click and pop editing, then upsample to DSD. It wasn't worth the extra time and effort to me.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    I also use Vinylstudio. It can do DSD, but I just rip to FLAC 16 bit due to compatibility and smaller file size. I have found CD quality sufficient for my needs. I load my ripped flac files on to hard drives for home playback and archival. I load the Flacs on to USB for car playback. BTW, VinylStudio is a real bargain at 30 bucks.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded