Difference Between BFA and Banana?

So I keep seeing this "BFA Style" connector.

What the heck does BFA stand for? and how is it different from a Banana connector?

It seems like the BFA Style is this banana connector with the squiggly/cutout in it, and a regular banana connector has the spring mechanism all around, or in the 4 quadrants?
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    edited December 2017
    British Federation of Audio...created by the Eurocrats due to safety concerns

So that you don't do sumtin'stupid like plug your audio connector into the euro electrical socket

Banana plugs are actually illegal in Europe, hence the reason that when you receive amps, they may have those red plug caps stuffed in the the amp terminals
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,270
    edited December 2017
    Ahhhhh, gotcha.
    Hehe, yeah, I read something about that.

How does this prevent someone from sticking it in one of those sockets?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited December 2017
    Right Scott I'd like to know that as well.
    The marketing has always sold them as more contact surface.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    I guess because of the resemblance of the nanner euro plug :/

pe4gj18h3utq.jpg

cuahy7p2p4pq.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dannylightning
    dannylightning Posts: 233
    edited December 2017
    from what i have seen the banannas listed as BFA do not have the little springy things like regular banana plugs do

here is a BFA vs regular banana, pretty sure that is the difference between the two so i would say you are probably correct just adding the photo so anyone who reads it sees what we are talking about

frndw82vwqcr.jpg
    xpvsbsmtv3ba.jpg
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    All I want are some banana plugs like I used to be able to get where you can use huge wire size, and crimp them and solder them easily, and don't cost a ridiculous amount of money. Last solder ones I got barely have any solder cup in them and a 14 gauge wire is about as big as it wants to take, so I've been using the Monoprice screw clamp ones and after tightening them up, using my big old foot long soldering iron to solder them. I have some old ones someplace, can't find them after I moved that took 8 gauge cables without problems, and a 60 watt iron was fine.
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • Kingrat
    Well, um, I guess I should have added "That don't cost an insane amount of money each" Almost $18 for four?? I don't think so, but thanks. When I can buy other ones that are usable, that are much nicer looking and appear to be a lot more solid, for much less, I'll pass. The description of them on the AQ page is pretty funny though, unless you believe in cable and connector magic.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    What I believe in is putting worthless posters where they belong....poof
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kingrat
    Oh my, I blasphemed..So sorry.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Kingrat wrote: »
    All I want are some banana plugs like I used to be able to get where you can use huge wire size, and crimp them and solder them easily, and don't cost a ridiculous amount of money. Last solder ones I got barely have any solder cup in them and a 14 gauge wire is about as big as it wants to take...
    I use the plugs in the upper part of DL’s post all throughout my system. W/a little patience, 8 gauge will fit.

You can find a 12 pack, look-a-like, gold plated brass on eBay, under $13 shipped. Copy and paste...

VOSO-24K-Gold-Plated-Speaker-Cable-Wire-Connector-4mm-Banana-Plug

...should get you there

Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Kingrat
    Thanks, I actually found some that were like what I've had in the past:
    https://www.parts-express.com/gold-plated-crimp-on-banana-plug-16-pcs--091-350
    They don't take as large a wire as the ones I have in a box someplace, but they will take 12 gauge and that's big enough and they look deep enough to crimp without much chance of ruining them. The problem with the two piece screw ones is that if you crimp them, the screw on part won't fit, and if you don't, you need to use the giant soldering iron that is a pain to use, due to it taking forever to heat up, and it weighs a ton and keeps trying to slide out of my holder due to the stiff cord. I only normally use it for PL-259 radio antenna plugs. It works great for them. The new banana plugs will solder up fine with my much nicer to use 60W iron.
  • gp4jesus
    edited April 2018
    Kingrat: I can’t argue w/your sentiment. The AQ & VOSO plugs - same material, same contact principle, but $4.50 versus $1.08 a piece. C’mo-o-on!

I read the AQ product description. I don’t get your point.
    ...unless you believe in cable and connector magic.
    Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Kingrat
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Kingrat: I can’t argue w/your sentiment. The AQ & VOSO plugs - same material, same contact principle, but $4.50 versus $1.08 a piece. C’mo-o-on!

I read the AQ product description. I don’t get your point.
    ...unless you believe in cable and connector magic.
    Tony

The new ones worked great, I made up 2 sets of cables last night one pair about 7 feet long each, and another pair about 20 feet long. The sleeve is more than long enough and it crimped easily and soldered fine with my 60 watt iron. I'm buying some more of them, and putting them into my recently purchased plug/components holders so they wont go missing again.

You don't get my point about the AQ (and other cables)? Did you read my sig?
  • gp4jesus
    you don't get my point about the AQ (and other cables)? Did you read my sig?
    The mobile app doesn’t allow signatures through. I switched to full site - I get it.
  • Kingrat
    You find my lack of faith disturbing?

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited May 2018
    You'll get more surface area contact with a BFA, has the whole barrel makes contact, not just the raised portion of a standard banana. Will it make any difference? I doubt it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    non-believers....everything makes a difference.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I personally believe that cables do make a difference, and banana plugs probably do too, but I’m not gonna spend money on banana plugs because it is literally like a 2 centimeter connection point. It can make a difference, but I can’t imagine the money would be worth that little of one.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I personally believe that cables do make a difference, and banana plugs probably do too, but I’m not gonna spend money on banana plugs because it is literally like a 2 centimeter connection point. It can make a difference, but I can’t imagine the money would be worth that little of one.

Connectors are all about a good connection. And maintaining that connection under all circumstances. Like a chain, only as strong as the weakest link. Lots of info out there. Yeah there is a point of diminishing returns, IMO, but take a look. There's a price point for everybody! Another journey! FWIW. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    verb wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Connectors are all about a good connection. And maintaining that connection under all circumstances. Like a chain, only as strong as the weakest link. Lots of info out there. Yeah there is a point of diminishing returns, IMO, but take a look. There's a price point for everybody! Another journey! FWIW. :smile:

sorry, I forgot to add IMO in there.
    but yes, I do know what you mean. but I meant for my INCREDIBLY low price point, its not a viable upgrade.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,628
    edited May 2018
    Legender wrote: »
    non-believers....everything makes a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRB8Jor8tPs
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Don't misunderstand my comment. I am a believer in cable differences, but I don't see how the little bit of difference in contact area would affect the tonal characteristics of a cable. Now, If I were designing a cable form the ground up, I'd go with BFA's simply because more surface area contact certainly doesn't hurt anything--but I wouldn't stress about it on a cable that only came with standard bananas.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gp4jesus
    steveinaz wrote: »
    You'll get more surface area contact with a BFA, has the whole barrel makes contact, not just the raised portion of a standard banana. Will it make any difference? I doubt it.
    you just made the case for..,
    I don't see how the little bit of difference in contact area would affect the tonal characteristics of a cable.
    I do, especially connecting 4 ohm speaker due to the BFA’s lower resistance compared to the bananas
    I'd go with BFA's simply because more surface area contact certainly doesn't hurt anything--but I wouldn't stress about it...
    Every little bit counts more than you think. On a power cord thread one reply read (paraphrased) “better bass due to .47 lower voltage drop.” Makes sense to me! Hence why I have 8 gauge wire soldered all the way to my woofer’s driver tabs. Same for 10 gauge to my LCR mids; surrounds to follow.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    Not all banana plugs are created equal. The ones dannylighting posted are poorly designed and constructed with minimal contact area. Compare them to high quality banana plugs such as the ones from MIT and the differences become obvious. The MIT's have 6 springs with a solid center post connected to a solid dome tip. The outer surface is in contact with the center post and when the springs are compressed they are too. Therefore, the MIT banana has considerably more mass, which means better conductivity.

In addition, I measured the inside diameter of a Cardas binding post at .160 and the outside diameter of the MIT banana at .160 before and after the springs. With the springs compressed they also measure .160. Obviously, the banana is ever so slightly smaller than the post hole, but that's as accurate as I was able to measure. The difference is extremely small as evidenced by the super tight fit of the MIT banana plugs.

Furthermore, the solid dome tip bottoms out in the binding post meaning it is in full contact. Compared to the BFA type plugs there is no doubt that a high quality banana not only has greater mass, it also has greater contact area.

Note: for some damn reason (vanilla) all of a sudden today I am not able to post photos from my device on this site. I can everywhere else, so I know it's vanilla related. Maybe one of you guys can post a pic of the MIT banana plugs for me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gp4jesus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
  • Kingrat
    I recently discovered my box of IMHO, failed, banana plugs. Most of them are no crimp/no solder types, but there are some that only take 14 gauge and up wire, or have only a tiny little wire socket that makes them very difficult to use I crimp and solder mine, and have a huge collection of short speaker cables going back about about 30 years when I converted my speakers over to bananas. I should probably sell the 40 or so Nakamichi (fakes?) I have just so someone else can maybe use them.
    The ones I use look pretty much identical to the big pic above. Crimp and solder, and never worry about them again.