New Speakers Golden Ear Triton 2+

So, I learned earlier this week that one of the major indy stereo shops in Austin (Audiosystems) is closing up b/c the owner is ready to retire and couldn't find a buyer so. Store has been around for over 30 years, and so they are Liquidating their stock. 30% off instock boxed items and 40% off floor models.

I went in today and spent 4 hours auditioning different towers in various price ranges. I tried Dynaudio Xcite 38, PSB Imagine T2, Golden Ears Trition 3+, Sonus Faber Chameleons and finally the Triton 2+. Below are my thoughts on them.. I'm not the most loquacious when it comes to describing speakers but I know what I like.

I want to give this store their props, they are always awesome and give you plenty of time to audition and will switch out equipment as needed and wanted with no sales pressure at all, but always willing to talk shop.. I'm sure this is why they've been around for so long.

Listening to the Xcites, they were really good, nice bass extension, clear highs and midrange, but I just felt they were too constrained, sound stage seemed small and tight especially for the size of speaker they were, but still i really liked the sound. They were also gorgeous Tiger rose wood style that definitely looked like a nice piece of furniture.

Next they brought in the T2. I really expected to like this speaker b/c i really like the Imagine B, several years ago when I was auditioning my prior set up. I ended up disappointed. While the bass was really deep and fun, though slightly bloated compared to the Xcites, the rest of the speaker didn't blow me away. Not sure exactly what it was but it definitely didn't sound as good as the Xcites and so moved on from them pretty quick. Was also not impressed with the looks. very plain looking black wood veneer, that just kind of boring..like the speaker.

Next they brought in the Triton 3+ and the Chameleons. I asked for the 3+ b/c i was worried about 2+ being possibly too big for my room. I had heard great things about the Golden ears but had not yet gotten a chance to listen. From the first notes, I was really impressed with the sound. Plenty of solid bass (which can be dialed in for taste with the powered Subs in the tower), with a really dynamic mid-range and highs. A really exciting sound with out being bright. I was pleasantly surprised as I had no idea what to expect and that point had thought maybe I should audition the 2+ as well. I probably spent 45+ min just on the 3+ alone. I'm not normally a huge fan of the big black sock form factor but the sound more than made up for it.

Now it was time for the Chameleon. I really hoping to like them. One they were the cheapest option on sale and two I really liked the form/style factor. I listened to them a little longer than I probably needed to, but I wanted to like them.. but I just couldn't get into them. They are definitely warmer than the Tritons, which I do tend sometimes to a warmer sound, but the big drawback was how laid back the top end was. There was no excitement to the sound. completely the opposite of the Tritons. I really like the look of these boxy speakers. the speakers themselves lean back at an angle and the sides have replaceable panels to help fit your style or look. (multi colors and wood grain), but based on the sound, I sadly had to say no and asked finally to listen to the Triton 2+

So getting in on the 2+ I now knew what to expect since I had listened to the Triton 3+. the 2+ has one additional mid-range driver and a more powerful internal sub. Because of how the tritons are made the 2+ is a taller speaker but really has almost the same footprint as the 3+ so size didn't end up being a concern. The extra mid-range really helped out a lot, as good as the 3+ had sounded, the 2+ was even better.. giving an even better balance between the highs and mid-range and definitely clearer sounds and vocals. After getting my full audition in I knew these were the speakers I would walk out with..

They were at the top end of my price range, but completely felt worth it. Really happy with my choice and can't wait to get them set up at home. Probably will be tomorrow or even later this week before I get them up and going in the house and will post some pictures and in house impressions then.

Thanks for reading!
Main 2ch -
BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Great choice.

B)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Good choice! Congrats
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    Sandy is a pretty awesome speaker designer. Def Tech before Golden Ear are pretty amazing speakers all over their lines. I was a bit shocked how good the entire line was and own the Mythos series Still after all these years. I usually change my speakers by now or even twice but not this time. ( I do have my eye's on the Monitor Audio line, We carry them and they screw with me every time I listen to them).
    The Golden ear speakers are simply amazing in all kinds of ways.

Congrats on some killer speakers.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I see a peach tree amp in the picture. I dig those and they sound really nice.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Really enjoyed reading about your audition experience and ultimately what you decided on. Nice looking listening room and media setup.
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Mantis, yeah its the Nova 150. really great all in one analog and digital solution with more than enough power and inputs than I'll ever need and a really good looking piece of equipment.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Great write up and thanks for sharing. Speakers look great. Have you got some gear hidden away somewhere? What are you driving them with?
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I have the Triton 2's (not the + version) and absolutely love them. Best speaker for my tastes that I have owned up to this point. (and it took me a lot of trial and error to get here) :)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A