OLED vs. QLED - My Observations

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I guess my issue is that I equate 1080p with plasma and 4K with LED. And I hate LED.

And I hate soap opera effect even more so. Who wants to watch a classic film that looks like it was shot on video and then has to fast forward for a second or two to catch up? Not me, says I.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I guess my issue is that I equate 1080p with plasma and 4K with LED. And I hate LED.

And I hate soap opera effect even more so. Who wants to watch a classic film that looks like it was shot on video and then has to fast forward for a second or two to catch up? Not me, says I.

I would disagree with that and suggest it's just the opposite. 4K is more plasma like and the old 1080p sets suffered the soap opera effect more frequently.

The processors in 4k sets are miles better than an led from 4 years ago. It's all about the processor and screen technology in my book, and 4k has it over the 1080p sets of old by a country mile.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    At least I know the difference between "your" and "you're". :p
  • tonyb
    At least I know the difference between "your" and "you're". :p

LOL, I usually don't make that distinction until the 2nd pot of coffee.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    The 4K sets I have seen, up to about a year ago, still had motion issues and backlighting issues. Perhaps HDR has improved things a bit, but Dynamic HDR is slated to be a much bigger jump ahead. As well as the other benefits of HDMI 2.1. Perhaps a "long days drive flat-out in a Hennessey Viper" as opposed to your "country mile" above. :p

In the interest of clarity, I never cared for 1080p LED's. Based on what appeals to me regarding image, resolution takes a back seat to color and contrast. Sure, 4K is "better", but until OLED, it had only been applied to inferior technology, so comparisons are sort of irrelevant.

Another issue is that TV manufacturers are always touting newer features as "the next big thing" in an effort to keep moving product and appease their shareholders quarter after quarter. This is both a good and a bad thing. Good because better technology becomes available frequently. Bad because prices are kept high for sometimes worthless "innovations". 3D and curved screens are prime examples.

I believe we are getting close to TV's being great again. :p The biggest improvements we have seen in the last few decades are maybe 2-3 years away. Anything after that would be beyond what mere humans would be able to assimilate.*

*only a slight exaggeration
  • tonyb
    I have zero motion issues with my 4k set, I can only assume your talking about sets setup in store displays...which are not calibrated or even remotely set up properly.

Tv's today, are like comparing HT receivers of today to 2 channel receivers of yesterday. They require more interaction, setup, and are not plug and play like TV's of old. They are more computer based than analog, and at times takes a little work to make them look right.

I never cared for 1080p leds either. Coming from a Kuro plasma, there simply was no comparison. 4K and especially Sony's with the triluminous displays, got me off the couch. They are better in most regards to plasma. The downside is the viewing angles is limited with Led's over plasma. Just takes more consideration in room placement and seating is all.

Another positive is, I didn't realize how much juice my plasma was sucking up. I save 40 bucks a month on my electric bill now with the 4K set over the plasma. Just that savings alone could pay for a new tv every 2-3 years.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    Not only store displays, although those were my initial viewings. And I saw things in stores that adjustments wouldn't help. :o

A few people have wanted to "show off" their 4K's to me in their homes. I remember one was a Samsung. I don't remember what the others were.

I use a 65" plasma for my PC monitor as well as for my TV. It's on for a good 6-8 hours every day. Sometimes more. My electric bill is usually $60-80. $60 for my low average and $80 when heating (November-April) and cooling (June-August). And that is for a 2-story, 3-bedroom house. :p
  • tonyb
    edited December 2017
    Obviously you don't live in Illinois then. lol
    Post edited by tonyb on
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    I talk a lot of smack for someone who tips over putting on their underwear, huh ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    You seem to be knowledgeable about a wide array of subjects, although your spelling and grammar frequently gives me a headache. :p
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited December 2017
    The issues I've seen with some 4K sets is not the Blu-Ray content, or some 4K footage, but trying to upscale satellite, Fios, etc, from 720 or 1080 to the native resolution of the 4K sets. Many cable providers don't fully offer 1080P yet.

I don't fully agree with being 8' away and not noticing a difference. I do agree that your eyes can't fully resolve 4K at certain distances , but 4K naturally should look slightly cleaner than 1080P beyond 8'.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2017
    It’s better for sure but the difference is subtle. I don’t think it’s wven as drastic as from 720 to 1080. Soap opera effect is easily killed by turning off the image processing crap. Some sets needed it not to blur things but for others it’s just a stupid frame rate bump. Who cares if you’re TV refreshes at 120hz when t has to make up frames in the middle? I turned all that garbage off.
  • tonyb
    You seem to be knowledgeable about a wide array of subjects, although your spelling and grammar frequently gives me a headache. :p

With age comes the knowledge that....you really don't have to impress anyone anymore. :p Actually, more times than not, I'm just lazy with the spell check thing and my brain is going faster than my typing abilities. In the pot of giving a hoot about things, that's one that's not in there.

I agree Skip, on your assessment, but I must say on my 55 inch the difference is noticeable even at 10 feet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    I also agree, the newer 4k sets don't do too well with older 720i signals. Basically, you need a good HD signal to take advantage of the 4k technology to begin with. Non Hd signals on a 4k set look worse than you might expect.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    I think we can all agree that Jesse's hair is beautiful. I have never seen it and even I agree. :p
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I am 100% happy with my 65" 1080p Vizio E Series. I sit 12' back and its fine.
  • Calikid
    Calikid Posts: 1
    Is anyone able to observe a marked color fade when viewing QLED's in Best Buy type stores etc.? Before I bought mine, at Best Buy QLED picture quality is amazing from almost any angle, but once it was hung on my wall, picture degrades awfully fast when not sitting dead on in front of the screen.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Calikid wrote: »
    Is anyone able to observe a marked color fade when viewing QLED's in Best Buy type stores etc.? Before I bought mine, at Best Buy QLED picture quality is amazing from almost any angle, but once it was hung on my wall, picture degrades awfully fast when not sitting dead on in front of the screen.

They usually have the brightness and other settings boosted for in-store demo. Sometimes during setup you'll see a choice for store or home use. Could be the issue.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Calikid wrote: »

This is the biggest issue with LED TV's. Once you get about 25 or so degrees off axis, the picture starts degrading, at around 35 degrees it's very noticeable. Those curved screens are even worse.

The reason you probably didn't notice it at BB, was because you were pretty close, and that set was probably surrounded by other sets, causing you to process a lot of optical information. No way you can get around it, those other sets will cause you to loose a little concentration. That and the overly bright, not even close to realistic color scheme they have their calibrated for retail display.

Personally don't like the way Samsung wants their sets displayed, and I loose all interest in their sets before I can even start to give them a thorough look. Kind of makes me feel like that detective would have felt in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", they whole world just became a cartoon.

• Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    I'm lucky I'm not sensitive to motion blur much at all. I don't notice it on my close to 8 year old Toshiba 40" LCD unless I get really close to the screen and stare at it. I like my friend's new QLED a lot, but not enough to make me pop for a new, bigger TV, even though I have the money right now. A new BD player is my next HT purchase. I wish Oppo wasn't going away..
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I revisited this thread while doing some other research and visited my local BB to have a look see.

There are many new sets (still 2018 models) out there to look at and consider if you are thinking about a new TV. My budget was app $3000.

I currently have a Samsung 64" plasma that is still in nice shape. The plasma display is very natural looking which I like and has great ability to handle the motion of sports like NFL and NHL.

The OLED displays I looked at were very nice... All of them use LG panels. To me the LG looked the best/most natural. But as someone pointed out alot depends on the setup, lighting etc.

I don't have an issue with viewing angle(s) but my room has alot of ambient light in the daytime with triple sliders to the patio. No direct sunlight as they are under an overhang and the windows are coated/tinted.

BB had some LG OLEDs out under the regular store lighting and did not look as good as the QLED's by Samsung in that area. Plus the OLEDs are maxed out at 65" unless you want to go $7K for their 77" OLED. Out of my budget by a good bit. Although impressive it's just prohibitive.

Of the Sammy QLED's the Q7 in 75" hit my sweet spot and it can deal with the brightness of my great room. The Q8 in 75" is $700 more (edgelit vs backlit) but to me looked a little too over the top with color saturation and depth. It could have been setup/calibration but I actually liked the picture on the Q7 to be a little more natural to me.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-4k-tvs/75-class-q7f-4k-smart-qled-tv-qn75q7fnafxza/

I also am not a big best buy guy but I ran into a sales rep who was very knowledgeable and not a dbag. He spent about 45 minutes with me showing me all the options within my budget and requirements and actually made it a fun experience. They will deliver it for free in 3 days.

I pulled the trigger on the Sammy Q7 QLED in 75". I have had 100% success 0 defects with Samsung products having 3 TV's multiple phones , tabs, chromebooks etc.

$2799 is the same price everywhere ... I was going to order it online but the price is the same everywhere. Still have money leftover for a nice heavy duty articulating wall bracket.

I will update when delivered and installed. I will donate the Samsung plasma to a local family in need.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I revisited this thread while doing some other research and visited my local BB to have a look see.

There are many new sets (still 2018 models) out there to look at and consider if you are thinking about a new TV. My budget was app $3000.

I currently have a Samsung 64" plasma that is still in nice shape. The plasma display is very natural looking which I like and has great ability to handle the motion of sports like NFL and NHL.

The OLED displays I looked at were very nice... All of them use LG panels. To me the LG looked the best/most natural. But as someone pointed out alot depends on the setup, lighting etc.

I don't have an issue with viewing angle(s) but my room has alot of ambient light in the daytime with triple sliders to the patio. No direct sunlight as they are under an overhang and the windows are coated/tinted.

BB had some LG OLEDs out under the regular store lighting and did not look as good as the QLED's by Samsung in that area. Plus the OLEDs are maxed out at 65" unless you want to go $7K for their 77" OLED. Out of my budget by a good bit. Although impressive it's just prohibitive.

Of the Sammy QLED's the Q7 in 75" hit my sweet spot and it can deal with the brightness of my great room. The Q8 in 75" is $700 more (edgelit vs backlit) but to me looked a little too over the top with color saturation and depth. It could have been setup/calibration but I actually liked the picture on the Q7 to be a little more natural to me.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-4k-tvs/75-class-q7f-4k-smart-qled-tv-qn75q7fnafxza/

I also am not a big best buy guy but I ran into a sales rep who was very knowledgeable and not a dbag. He spent about 45 minutes with me showing me all the options within my budget and requirements and actually made it a fun experience. They will deliver it for free in 3 days.

I pulled the trigger on the Sammy Q7 QLED in 75". I have had 100% success 0 defects with Samsung products having 3 TV's multiple phones , tabs, chromebooks etc.

$2799 is the same price everywhere ... I was going to order it online but the price is the same everywhere. Still have money leftover for a nice heavy duty articulating wall bracket.

I will update when delivered and installed. I will donate the Samsung plasma to a local family in need.

Glad to see you have a good track record with Samsung. Hopefully that continues with your new TV. Congrats it's exciting to get a new TV especially when it's much bigger then the last one.
    Is this your first 4k TV? I assume it is since your replacing the Plasma. It's a whole new world with 4k and you'll find yourself wanting stupid stuff just because it looks so damn good LOL. That wears off pretty quick and you'll just enjoy the clarity and color depth. HDR is where it's at and thats what Samsung supports. Shame they don't also support Dolby Vision but honestly I don't see much difference between the 2.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mikey081057
    I have 2 other 4k tvs...Update.... I did some more research, took at second look and decided to upgrade to the Q8.

I also read that the Sammys have superior game performance and auto game detect which eliminates the need to switch to game mode.

The Q8 visually is comparable to the price prohibitive Q9.

Also picked up a Sanus BLF228 full motion mount at a very good price...

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Going to go ahead and pick up a Sony xbr65 900f. Is it best to pay and have these tv calibrated by a pro or can it be done with guidance. Thanks
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Going to go ahead and pick up a Sony xbr65 900f. Is it best to pay and have these tv calibrated by a pro or can it be done with guidance. Thanks

I say give it a try yourself. TV calibration used to be a PITA, but calibration has become easier

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS818US818&biw=1920&bih=938&tbm=vid&ei=us47XKP5LczAtQWYkKaoBg&q=sony+xbr+65+900f+calibration&oq=Sony+xbr65+900f+ca&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.33i10i299k1l2j33i10i160k1.10143.10907.0.13777.3.3.0.0.0.0.446.855.4-2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.2.854....0.qF-Hx2zsaac
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Change the picture mode to custom and back light to 12, your 90 percent there. Evaluate if pro calibration is necessary then n
  • WagnerRC
    Wish I never waited to upgrade. This Sony is very very nice for the money, this. One replaced an old last version Panasonic plasma. I have a Sony XBR lcd in the man cave. This new 4K stuff is very nice even at the 1080 input. Very impressed.
  • tonyb
    Congrats Bob, always said you don't buy a 4k tv for the limited 4k material available. You buy it for the upscaling of the 1080 material that most watch. Sony does a great job at that.

Calibration....you can google up some settings from pro calibration sites. You'll most likely get a few different ones to try, and just tweek a bit to your liking. Key is getting the motion control right and dispensing that soap opera look you can get.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Just received my Sammy Q8F 75" today and will be installing it later this afternoon. Started ripping the rack apart and will finish before help arrives to hang the BMF.

So far i have actually been impressed with the Best Buy purchase and delivery process.

• WagnerRC
    This was my first buy from Best buy in may 10 or more years. Happy with the price and customer service at pick up. Very good to see them doing well.