My power needs management!

2»

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Lol, no, well maybe, but the thought I my head happened before the start of that other thread.

*Just confirmed I posted a day ahead of it too.

Well... just maybe you inspired that thread!
  • mdaudioguy
    So, it's just gonna be a single, extra 20A run. There are only 2 open spaces for breakers left in my box. I'll plug the amp and sub into that and everything else can stay on the existing 15A circuit. That should be satisfactory. We occasionally run an electric space heater down there, and now I shouldn't have to worry about tripping the breaker when turning on the vacuum cleaner while the heater and everything else is on... 'cause that's happened...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2018
    I had to run an extension cord into our dining room for our space heater for the same reason.

The B&K and a space heater on the sameness circuit was no bueno.

Dining room was in its own circuit.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    So, it's just gonna be a single, extra 20A run. There are only 2 open spaces for breakers left in my box. I'll plug the amp and sub into that and everything else can stay on the existing 15A circuit. That should be satisfactory. We occasionally run an electric space heater down there, and now I shouldn't have to worry about tripping the breaker when turning on the vacuum cleaner while the heater and everything else is on... 'cause that's happened...

The can clone a daughter box, or whatever it's called, you know? ;)

kazscoetisu7.png
  • mdaudioguy
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

The can clone a daughter box, or whatever it's called, you know? ;)
    I believe it's usually called a subpanel, oh ye who knows (or at least uses) more words than everyone else here combined. ;) Yes, I know that can be done, but really, I think I'm done with this. That remaining space for a breaker may end up being used for an outdoor circuit with a few outlets above and below the raised deck. That's it. Spreading this system across two circuits is certainly preferable to one!
  • mdaudioguy
    Ok, started pulling two runs of 12/2 for two 20A dedicated outlets tonight. When I thought about the work involved and the relatively minimal additional cost, it just made sense. I'm thinking the amp and sub on one circuit, and the AVR and audio source devices on the other. TV and video sources can stay on the existing 15A circuit. Hopefully I can get these wires through the wall from above to the outlet locations relatively easily and will finish up tomorrow. Then I can complete the ceiling.