SDA1C vs. SRS2 Smackdown!

2»

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    audioluvr wrote: »
    The bass just seemed almost overpowering in the SRS line.

I can attest to this, the first vintage polk I ever heard was some SRS2s and I loved them. Now that I have my 2Bs I prefer their overall more balanced sound.

Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    My current listening room is a bit tight for SRS series I have found. IMO the SRS produce a wider sound stage, but also need a wider room and really adhere to the spacing between speakers, and spacing from side walls. The 1C's were better for SDA in the smaller room. I am fighting some artifacts right now with SRS series. In a larger room, SRS would be better IMO.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I would imagine the size of the room plays a big part too.

Music is definitely personal. If you heard boominess, you heard it. I might call it more powerful bass. No disrespect meant. I posted a possibility to flabbiness also. But if they were new, the screws should've been tight, therefore just peoples personal judgement will be taken then. B)

Do you remember the size of the demonstration room you were in?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Room was probably 20 x 24 or larger. I don't know if " boomy" is the correct term it just seemed as if you went up the line the bass got more pronounced or louder or boomier than the mids and highs. To me this makes perfect sense as the driver volume increased the PR size stayed the same but its throw would increase essentially increasing its volume.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Very interesting discussion gents! Keep it going!

@audioluvr I too had my 2Bs for many years. Ever since joining CP, I've enjoyed the journey. Will I eventually get a set of SRS1.2TL's or SRT's? Probably! In the meantime, the incremental steps for me are the most fun! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Another thing, I love bass! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • I can comment on my modded 2Bs verses my stock 1Cs. I gave them both many hours of listening time back and forth. The 2Bs were the stand out winners. However the 1Cs are bone stock so not really an even playing field. One thing I can say, It would be nice if RDO-198 tweeters could be used in them.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Some member was supposed to use RDO-198's in an SDA or SRS model that really required the RDO-194's and give us some feedback.

Does anybody have the results of such a trial switch of replacement tweeter recommendations?

I'm getting closer to ordering 4 of them. I know what RDO-194's sound like in their respective speakers. But I've never heard a RDO-198 ever.

Are they that incompatible?

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    I will say I like my blade/blade SRS 2's better then SDA 1C's. Wider sound stage and better bass response, not boomy, still tight but they definitely dig deeper IMO. I would take a wild guess to say the pin/blade ones sound just as good if not better then the blade/blade ones.

I also think the 2B's are great sounding speakers, I liked the TL'ed ones I had better then hot-rodded 1C's also. I really like CRS+'s too they have a sweet sound stage but a sub does help them out some. I have a pair waiting to be gone over and TL'ed.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Tony M wrote: »
    Some member was supposed to use RDO-198's in an SDA or SRS model that really required the RDO-194's and give us some feedback.

Does anybody have the results of such a trial switch of replacement tweeter recommendations?

I'm getting closer to ordering 4 of them. I know what RDO-194's sound like in their respective speakers. But I've never heard a RDO-198 ever.

They are not compatible, or interchangeable. The RD0194s have a relatively flat response, same as the SL1000/SL2000 they replace (minus the resonance peak @ 12-13KHz). The RD0198s require, in most cases, a contour circuit to compensate for their apparent downward sloping frequency response.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Thank you Dave, I knew there was an important difference. I was hoping a crossover mod had been designed and tested that would make them usable in a two tweeter progressive array
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• 250GTLusso
    250GTLusso Posts: 163
    It just so happens that I actually have both of these speakers right now, in stock condition (no mods).

I think I am going to have to perform a side by side comparison this weekend (what else is there to do on Easter!).

I'll use the ADCOM GFA-565s, as they can handle the 4 Ohm SDA-SRS 2 without breaking a sweat (might give an advantage to the SDA-SRS 2 though).

I'll report back this weekend.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • 250GTLusso
    No wait, I cant use the GFA-565s with the SDA-SRS 2's. Darn!

I 'll use the GFA-585.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    My favorite SDA’s are:

SDA CRS+
    SDA 2B’s
    SDA SRS 2.3tl
    SDA SRS 1.2tl

The only pair I can think of I haven’t had my ears on are the SDA SRS 2’s

The only pair I have owned that didn’t “WOW” me was the 3.1’s, they were bone stock needed a little TLC, and I wasn’t and still not a fan of the cabinet construction compared to the other SDA’s with the wood caps top and bottom...

I have never been a fan of the studio versions as well with the wooden bases..

FoxMan...
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Thank you Dave, I knew there was an important difference. I was hoping a crossover mod had been designed and tested that would make them usable in a two tweeter progressive array
    I tried with the powers that be, but it never materialized.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    Smallies wrote: »
    but the SRS 3 does have wooden end caps.

Yes, but you can’t just pop them off without having a big opening in the cabinet...

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited March 2018
    Tony M wrote: »

I was hoping a crossover mod had been designed and tested that would make them usable in a two tweeter progressive array
    Been done with apparent success on the SDA 1B/SRS 2 blade/blade.
    Multi-page thread, doesn't start to get good until you're half-way through.
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/74946/sda-srs-2-crossover-parts-list/p1
    Short story: Swap one capacitor in each speaker, install 198s, listen for yourself.

Nobody's reported results with 1C/SRS 2 pin/blade.

Of course, the high-frequency crossover mods for the 198s in SRS 1.2 or 2.3 could be pulled from the newer TL version of those speakers.

250GTLusso wrote: »
    It just so happens that I actually have both of these speakers right now, in stock condition (no mods).

I think I am going to have to perform a side by side comparison this weekend (what else is there to do on Easter!).

I'll use the ADCOM GFA-565s, as they can handle the 4 Ohm SDA-SRS 2 without breaking a sweat (might give an advantage to the SDA-SRS 2 though).

I'll report back this weekend.
    250GTLusso wrote: »
    No wait, I cant use the GFA-565s with the SDA-SRS 2's. Darn!

I 'll use the GFA-585.
    I assume you have blade/blade (nominal 4-ohm) SRS 2s. Far as I know, the monoblock 565s can have the negative terminals strapped to make them common ground.

Not much point to comparing speakers that have ancient electrolytic caps. You're not testing the speakers, you're testing how much each pair has deteriorated.
  • 250GTLusso
    @Schurkey , Yes blade/blade SRS2s (4 Ohm as I stated above).

Yes, I have strapped negatives before, but it does affect the sound. And yes, the caps are in need of a refresh.
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Not much point to comparing speakers that have ancient electrolytic caps. You're not testing the speakers, you're testing how much each pair has deteriorated.

Totally agree with this. Two identical sets of speakers can sound totally different if one has 2000 hrs and the other has 20,000 hours of use.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Had 1Cs, currrently have SRS-2s. Prefer the SRS-2s by a good margin.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited April 2018
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Had 1Cs, currrently have SRS-2s. Prefer the SRS-2s by a good margin.
    WHICH SRS 2?
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Pin-blade version.