Polk SDA-2B upgrade

I have a pair of SDA-2Bs I bought in 1989 and need to order some replacement tweeters. I can't find a place to order these. Please assist.
Gary Haskins

Best Answers

• gary_haskins
    gary_haskins Posts: 6
    Answer ✓
    Thanks F1, much appreciated. That's very retro!!!

Answers

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    List was $71 but after I mentioned that I was a CP member, and with a little negotiation, got em down to $48 each plus free shipping!

Yeah, but they probably just felt sorry for you because your car is so old.

b9vhr07ahodk.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Slapaho wrote: »
    Be careful if you buy them from anyone other than Polk. I bought a pair of RD198's from one of those places advertising them as RD198's but they sent SL2500's. They were trying to tell me RD198's and SL2500's are the exact same tweeters with different part numbers. After several rounds talking to them they agreed to give a refund. Called Polk direct and got the correct speakers a couple days later.

Out of curiosity, how did you know they were SL2500's?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited February 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    Be careful if you buy them from anyone other than Polk. I bought a pair of RD198's from one of those places advertising them as RD198's but they sent SL2500's. They were trying to tell me RD198's and SL2500's are the exact same tweeters with different part numbers. After several rounds talking to them they agreed to give a refund. Called Polk direct and got the correct speakers a couple days later.

Out of curiosity, how did you know they were SL2500's?

I'd like to know that myself. I wouldn't know how to differentiate between the two.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    @Gary... love the Hornet in your avi. did you fly 'em or fix 'em?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Still waiting......

Surprisingly impatient for someone who had to wait around for primordial ooze to form just so they could have something to argue with... :p
  • Tweets they sent were exactly the same as what was already in the speakers. Box and driver had no RDO identifying on them. Then talking to a guy at Polk that looked up that place's purchase history and found they had only purchased a few RDO194 and 198's in the past 12 months. The place stands firm there is zero difference between 198's and 2500's so it didn't matter which one they send out.

• F1nut
    edited February 2018
    Tweets they sent were exactly the same as what was already in the speakers. Box and driver had no RDO identifying on them. Then talking to a guy at Polk that looked up that place's purchase history and found they had only purchased a few RDO194 and 198's in the past 12 months. The place stands firm there is zero difference between 198's and 2500's so it didn't matter which one they send out.

Yeah ok, your story didn't make sense the first time and now I know it's fantasy.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Yeah ok, your story didn't make sense the first time and now I know it's fantasy.

HAAA! HAAA! Sounds like someone ate a big bowl of obnoxious this morning...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    edited February 2018
    Who's being obnoxious, you?

The SL2500 hasn't been made for close to 20 years. It had a label on the back just like the SL1000, SL2000 and SL3000. The fact that he said the first ones he ordered were just like his originals, no label, means his story is fantasy. In addition, the early runs of the RD0194/RD0198's had no labels and came in plain boxes. The more recent runs have a label on the side of the magnet.

One of the resellers lists the RD0198 as SKU SL2500, but it is the RD0198. I suspect slappy saw the SKU SL2500 on his invoice and not knowing any better because he didn't bother to do his homework thought he got the wrong tweeters. One question that lingers though is why he didn't order them from Polk in the first place because they are cheaper.

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/polk-sl2500-tweeter/

qoqq9cfrhtfu.jpg

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    That thumb looks familiar. :p
  • F1nut
    Yours?

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Yours?

Nope. It looks like a pre-"Shining" Jack Nicholson thumb. I'd say circa "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975). Definitely later than "Easy Rider", though.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Viking64 wrote: »
    That thumb looks familiar. :p

You need to stop chewing on your fingers...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64

That wasn't my hand.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Viking64 wrote: »

That wasn't my hand.

Whoever owns that thumb. Please don't have anyone pull it! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Thanks for your responses. Nooshinjohn, I am an Air Force brat only. Dad, brother and son served in AF. I do work with Sidewinder missiles as part of my job.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I do work with Sidewinder missiles as part of my job.

Not the "In flight missile repair" MOS I hope???
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus