MW6511 / 6503 Anyone Using Modern Replacements - Update ?

I found an older post (2012) on this subject and was wondering if anyone has any more experience with the 6503's?

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/130086/mw6511-6503-anyone-using-modern-replacements

I found an issue on my 1C's that are in the middle of an overhaul.

The left channel has three MW6510's and only one MW6511 !!! (!@#$%&;!!!) Looks like someone replaced a MW6511 in their previous life.

I'm finding the MW6511 are difficult to find, and understand the MW6503 is an exact replacement. True?

@westmassguy does this affect my XO board project?

I wanted to get some feedback on this subject while not getting lost in my current rebuild post:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path#latest

Any and all comments are welcome !!!

Comments

• westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 5,836
    edited December 2017
    The 6511 is 4 ohm, the 6510s are 8 ohms. You can either look on fleaBay for a salvaged 6511, or order the new replacement from Polk Customer Service.
    It must be the MW6511, no other driver can be used.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Now Carrying Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,131
    I recently picked up a very nice MW6511 off eBay, do a Saved Search, they do do come up for sale every so often.
    SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL/Dynaudio Contour S 3.4 LE's
  • verbverb Posts: 96
    So I called Polk today about a replacement for the MW6511. They told me that they now have a direct replacement:

RD6110-1 (confirmed 4ohm)

However, the guy said that he recommends replacing them in pairs on my 1C due to the fact that they sound "a little different" than the MW6511's ?!?!?!

Does that sound right? No pun intended :smile:

Anyone have experience with the RD6110-1's ???

Thanks.
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 5,836
    He's correct. They do blend well, but Doing mirror pairs is always better. Either two older 6511s, or two replacements.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Now Carrying Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • verbverb Posts: 96
    Thanks David. Always appreciate your prompt replies. So I bought 4 new MW’s !!!

List was $71 each but with CP discount and further haggling got em for $48 each with free shipping.

They’re on the way !!!