New Integrated Amp Has Arrived - Yamaha A-S3000

2»

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    That's a sweet looking piece. I agree, I love that retro look. Please update us with your listening evaluation.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I've watched this too many times now.
    https://youtu.be/u58l9FEqQ7w
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    This is quite an advertisement video also. Makes one want to go out and buy the set. Then get the piece Drew's video had and then just one more thing to get, a Yamaha TT. :pB) Speakers of your choice and size of course!
    https://youtu.be/_1fkRYleuqs
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Great

I watched it now I’m screwed
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    edited March 2018
    Those vids are some true audio ****. Watched them several times as well as read every review on the internets. I can tell you this amp has opened up significantly in the 10-15 hours I've put through it this weekend. The sound is really good. Gorgeous mids and airy. It's not fully broken in yet and haven't even futzed with speaker placement. I expect increased goodness to come. BTW I'm really digging the tone controls (and no, you cannot take away my audiophile card!).
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ...BTW I'm really digging the tone controls (and no, you cannot take away my audiophile card!).

but, but, but... it doesn't have Yamaha's variable loudness control! :#

20842862326_87869f15e1.jpgYamahaCR-2020loudnesscurves by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ...BTW I'm really digging the tone controls (and no, you cannot take away my audiophile card!).

I always liked that feature Doc.
    I think it worked very well
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Seriously awesome

Cremonas? Show us some pics!

Pics as requested. You can see my setup is not ideal. Happy at this point to have my rig up and running after many months dormant after moving to a new (smaller) house. Need a new rack with smaller footprint and/or move it to the far side of the doorframe visible to the right in the first photo. The Cremonas seem to be tolerating the proximity to the wall. In the prior house they had much more breathing room.

08ff37va7mjs.jpg

xz3jn92lxjs2.jpg

Very nice set up, but I would be a little concerned with my speakers that close to the fireplace.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I always liked that feature Doc.
    I think it worked very well

'way better than the fixed kind, I'd opine. Not unique to Yamaha (in fact, variable loudness was fairly common on better consumer hifi products in the 1960s, e.g., from McIntosh, EICO, and Sherwood), but it was featured on Yamaha components for quite a long time.

PS I'd love to get my eyes, ears and hands on one of the bigger/better modern Yamaha amplifiers -- like the titular one of this thread! :)
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited March 2018
    Very nice and congrats on the find. I'll have to make time to watch those videos.
    I've got gramps tucked away at home. And he does have the loudness control :) . Imagine that this thing is just awesome.
    Post edited by Legender on
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • mhardy6647
    Legender wrote: »
    Very nice and congrats on the find. I'll have to make time to watch those videos.
    I've got gramps tucked away at home. And he does have the loudness control :) . Imagine that this thing is just awesome.

The CA-810 was/is indeed a nice piece. The only thing it really lacks is the full-time Class A bias switch. The 1010 and 2010 could be switched to Class A output bias -- in which mode they are pretty darned delightful.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2018

The CA-810 was/is indeed a nice piece. The only thing it really lacks is the full-time Class A bias switch. The 1010 and 2010 could be switched to Class A output bias -- in which mode they are pretty darned delightful.

I keep saying one day I'll get my 1010 repaired and refurbished and I keep not doing it.

Is 'keep not doing it' acceptable English? 'Continue to not follow through' is probably better. Just trying to stay ahead of the ****.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    Nightfall wrote: »

I keep saying one day I'll get my 1010 repaired and refurbished and I keep not doing it.

Is 'keep not doing it' acceptable English? 'Continue to not follow through' is probably better. Just trying to stay ahead of the ****.

I've never had the nerve to even try the beautiful CA-2010 that's here (and pictured earlier). It's supposed to work, but it wasn't really the price of a good, working unit... so it remains a shelf queen (just in case).

And, with that, 1) my apologies for the vintage Yamaha hijack to the OP, who now has a gorgeous modern Yamaha integrated and 2) I'll try to divert my hijack of his thread by, just maybe, starting another thread (on just vintage Yamahas).

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    The new Yamaha's are gorgeous. Nice grab.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2