HELP: All in one streaming solution post Squeezebox

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited March 2018 in Electronics
I'm putting the feeler out there to see what folks are using now that Squeezebox is pretty much beyond its end of life.

I currently have two Squeezebox Radios in my girls rooms. They use it pretty much exclusively to stream Disneys Pandora station and maybe one other. In my main rig I use PLEX, Spotify and some other things on my Xbox 360 in place of my older Squeezebox Classic v2.

The Radios still work fine, however the ability to control it with the Logitech app has died, so when we need to turn it down at night we cant without going into their rooms, which starts a harrowing game of Russian roulette as to if they wake up or not.

I was hoping someone knew of a cheap all in one solution. I dont need to pricey streamer to connect to a stereo AVR and speakers, I need a all in one streamer that powers speaker(s) and allows for selection of sources, has its own volume control and has the ability to be controlled via a app on a phone.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sonos, but what do you mean by selectable sources ? How many sources you need aside from Radio and streaming ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I don't understand your issues with Squeezebox control. I have 7 zones - 2 Touches, 4 Duet receivers, and 1 Classic. No problems at all. Maybe it's the app, or maybe it's an issue that only affects the Radios? It's been discussed many times before on here, but several third-party apps seem to work better than the "official" app.

To answer your question, you should also look into HEOS as an alternative to Sonos. Newer Denon and Marantz AVRs have it built-in, eliminating the need for a separate device for zones powered by that AVR.
  • mdaudioguy
    You could also go with some of the Bose options. The SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter isn't terribly expensive, if you want to set your girls up with a couple cheap 2-channel rigs. Never too early to get them started. ;)

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/multi_room_speakers/soundtouch-adapter.html
  • EndersShadow
    tonyb wrote: »
    Sonos, but what do you mean by selectable sources ? How many sources you need aside from Radio and streaming ?

I mean the ability on the device to select whats playing. So selecting Pandora, Spotify, etc.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I don't understand your issues with Squeezebox control. I have 7 zones - 2 Touches, 4 Duet receivers, and 1 Classic. No problems at all. Maybe it's the app, or maybe it's an issue that only affects the Radios? It's been discussed many times before on here, but several third-party apps seem to work better than the "official" app.

To answer your question, you should also look into HEOS as an alternative to Sonos. Newer Denon and Marantz AVRs have it built-in, eliminating the need for a separate device for zones powered by that AVR.

The Logitech Squeezebox app doesnt work on my iPhone 6Plus anymore. I think it stopped being supported one it

I will take a gander at other third party apps, but really dont wanna be paying for apps that I find then dont work after installing them on my phone.
  • mdaudioguy
    Can't help with iPhone, but Squeeze Commander has always worked great for me on Android. I think iPeng might be the go-to app for Apple, or at least it was...
  • EndersShadow
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Can't help with iPhone, but Squeeze Commander has always worked great for me on Android. I think iPeng might be the go-to app for Apple, or at least it was...

Yeah, I know Android has continue to work as that architecture is MUCH more open than iOS, but we are an all iPhone community.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    tonyb wrote: »

I mean the ability on the device to select whats playing. So selecting Pandora, Spotify, etc.

They all do Dan. I don't think there's a digital streaming device made today that you can't.

Maybe a chromecast might be a simple cheap solution, but individual volume control might be a minus.

The sonos has it though, along with the ability to group zones together, or play different music in different zones. Set alarms, radio...etc. You can probably find them cheaper on the used markets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Dan, what about iPeng? Doesn't it still work?

TBH I think there are easier solutions for little ones. I think I sold you one of those radios didn't I? My oldest daughter (10) uses a iphone 5 with an iHome dock. Cheap, simple, with everything you need, but of course she has to control the volume. My twins (6) have a older pioneer UDP connected to a pair of powered def tech monitors. They listen to the same mixed cd every night. Turn it on repeat, set the volume, let it play. Nora (3) just has a sound machine. Easy peasy...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    @rooftop59

Don’t know about iPeng. Will do some googling.

I know I got the classic from you in a trade for b-stock MIT ExP1 interconnects or speaker cables (when they ran the lettering wrong) so that’s what 5-6 years ago lol. Maybe even one of the radios too.

The solutions you propose won’t work well for my 2 year old or my 5 year old. They don’t not have phones or tablet so that work like that lol.

We hit the play button on the Radio, walk away and let it ride.

Then preferably we turn it down a bit later when we go to bed.

@tonyb I may be forced to go Sonos but then don’t I also need speakers too? I haven’t kept up much with this stuff.
  • rooftop59
    That's why I use the CD player for the six year olds. They have a little booklet of CDs and can even put in some dance music during the day if they want. CD player and cheap powered monitors, don't have to worry about the technology no longer working!

iPeng should definitely work. Check out the recent reviews...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • EndersShadow
    Clipdat wrote: »

Good solution, still pricey given who its for :smile:
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    That's why I use the CD player for the six year olds. They have a little booklet of CDs and can even put in some dance music during the day if they want. CD player and cheap powered monitors, don't have to worry about the technology no longer working!

iPeng should definitely work. Check out the recent reviews...

Will do some looking. I didnt notice the powered monitors part.... Thats one less thing.....

• rooftop59
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Yamaha WXA-50 would be perfect .....
    I have 2 of the non-amplifier versions , WXC-50 , in my systems ..... highly recommended..... they are the only source for content I use ....
    You can usually find open box , full warranty items from Audio IQ for a substantial discount ....
    That’s where I got both of mine from ...
    Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM