MW6511 / 6503 Anyone Using Modern Replacements - Update ?

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    Good to see your library is replete with the classics! :smiley:

Edited for grammatical, punctuation, and syntax errors!

HAHAHA That was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. There are some great illustrations. Also, the "hero" was named "Captain Jim", which is also my name. The "Jim" part. Not the "Captain" part. :p

• Has anyone tried other cap brands on x-over upgrades like Solen, Jentzen perhaps others. Just picked up a 1C, looking to recap. Thanks
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Solen would never see a high pass in my speakers.
  • Another question, pulled the 6510 and 6511's from the 1C, there is another magnet ring attached to the woofer magnet. Has anyone seen one of these before? All units are stamped with March and December 1989 dates.

rbx9folikv7d.jpeg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited February 2018
    antepli10 wrote: »
    Another question, pulled the 6510 and 6511's from the 1C, there is another magnet ring attached to the woofer magnet. Has anyone seen one of these before? All units are stamped with March and December 1989 dates.

rbx9folikv7d.jpeg

Shouldn't be there! As far as I know! My 1C's didn't have that. Do all of them have it? Can you slide it off? Wow!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • All 8 have it, I could not pull it off, actually did not want to try too hard as I was not sure if they were supposed to be there not. Did not pull the tweeters, they were upgraded to 194s, I guess I need to take a look at those as well.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Another question, pulled the 6510 and 6511's from the 1C, there is another magnet ring attached to the woofer magnet. Has anyone seen one of these before? All units are stamped with March and December 1989 dates.

rbx9folikv7d.jpeg

Shouldn't be there! As far as I know! My 1C's didn't have that. Do all of them have it? Can you slide it off? Wow!

Never saw anything like that. Before you try and slide the back magnet off make sure the front magnet is well glued and cured. Looks like a magnet shift in the making!
  • verb
    All 8 have it, I could not pull it off, actually did not want to try too hard as I was not sure if they were supposed to be there not. Did not pull the tweeters, they were upgraded to 194s, I guess I need to take a look at those as well.

Well I have to defer to others on CP. Never seen that before. In fact, I just bought 4 MW6511's from Polk Audio to replace my existing ones. Old/new don't have em.

Maybe @F1nut or other 1C veterans can opine?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Thanks, it looked weird to me as well. But it is a pretty good fit and a ring, either someone went through quite bit to find these or they came with it. Tweets are fine, stock 194s. Also, need help with the I/C cable, need to build one. These came with only a single plug cable for the round port. Any link you know of is appreciated.
  • verb
    So I was intrigued and began searching on-line for adding speaker magnets. Lot's of stuff out there. They claim it "significantly" adds bass response to smaller speakers. Lot's of hacks out there, IMO.

Not sure if that is the right mod for your 1C's. Most folks, including myself, focused on making the enclosure sealed, add absorbing material (BH5) behind the MW's, and lastly but most importantly the XO mod.

You should be able to pry em off with a thin metal tool if you desire to do so. Most likely they are glued in place.

Check out my thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path/p1
  • Thanks, I saw you thread earlier, it is going to be great... I am going to recap the xover, and prolly replace all the drivers at some point, and get the insides straight. Have not set them up yet, I am in no hurry. Any help with I/C cable is appreciated though.
  • verb
    You have the blade/blade or pin/blade version?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638

rbx9folikv7d.jpeg

Bucking magnets to magnetically shield for a CRT, Anyone who still has one should check out lol
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    Those magnets look like they could be bucking magnets. They were used when you had an old crt tv to offset the magnetic field caused by them. Type bucking magnet in the search and it should explain them.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • verb
    Yep agreed they could also be bucking magnets. Problem is they change the speaker parameters, thus the performace?
  • verb
    I got pin blade.

Those are harder to find, but not impossible. You may want to consider upgrading to Neutrik SpeakON Plugs and Sockets for the IC interface.

There are folks here on CP that built their own IC's too.
  • ken brydson
    Yep agreed they could also be bucking magnets. Problem is they change the speaker parameters, thus the performace?

I haven't noticed any difference in sound with my LS50's or CS350...
  • verb
    Problem is that if the system was never designed with those magnets, you change the performance. If your LS50 and CS350 had em to begin with, then the system is tuned for it.

Ken did you add magnets to the LS and CS?
  • thanks, totally forgot about the bucking magnets.... that was years ago and the way these need to be set up, not sure 6ft CRT TV is a viable option.... will need to build my own I/C cable...
  • ken brydson
    Problem is that if the system was never designed with those magnets, you change the performance. If your LS50 and CS350 had em to begin with, then the system is tuned for it.

I blew 2 drivers in my 50's over a few years and the replacements had the bucking magnets. @KennethSwauger assured me they were compatable. I can't hear any difference.
  • The person I got these from claims he used only the pin side and build his own...not sure how that would work... looks like a ground up project with all the unknowns... LOL
  • Do LS50 and CS 350 use 6510 and 6511?
  • verb

I blew 2 drivers in my 50's over a few years and the replacements had the bucking magnets. @KennethSwauger assured me they were compatable. I can't hear any difference.

Interesting. I wonder if they modified the Qes and thus Qts in the replacements to accomodate the new magnetic field flux.
  • ken brydson
    Do LS50 and CS 350 use 6510 and 6511?

No, different sizes. 6.5 in the 50's and 4.5 in the 350.
  • Viking64
    BUCKING magnets? You guys better watch your language. *REPORTED*
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    BUCKING magnets? You guys better watch your language. *REPORTED*

Here we go to the pokey! Thanks Jim!
  • Viking64
    Here we go to the pokey! Thanks Jim!

Now I'm starting to feel sorry for Buck Owens. :'(:p
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

rbx9folikv7d.jpeg

Bucking magnets to magnetically shield for a CRT, Anyone who still has one should check out lol

Boom this ^^^^^ Ken gets it