SDA SRS 1.2TLs - The restoration begins

With the help of @nooshinjohn posting a nondescript e-bay listing on this forum for a pair of Polk Audio Crossover Speakers, I was able to acquire my first pair of SDA SRS 1.2TLs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-Crossover-Speakers/322818292288?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
rqdljo5qt9wf.jpg

I have always wanted to get a pair of 1.2TLs, to hear what improvements had been made between the SDA SRSs that I already own and the 5th and last generation of Matthew Polk's tour de force, the 1.2TL. And here was an opportunity to acquire a pair relatively close to home. And in Walnut to boot (my preferred wood).

It was a nice sunny southern California Sunday (70F) and it was a great day for a drive. So I loaded up the Prius with moving pads, a collapsible hand truck, some tie downs (just in case) and headed out to the desert.

The seller was located out in Canyon Lake, near Temecula CA (very dry and arid), about an hours drive from my house.

As I pulled up the seller greets me with a wave, and we go inside to check out the speakers.

They were tucked away in the back bedroom, not having been used in some 20 years (and they apparently had been loaned to various people over the years, which is never a good thing to hear!). From across the room, they appeared to be decent shape. The seller said they were in "perfect" condition when we had talked on the phone earlier in the week.

As I got up close however, I noticed what appeared to be some swelling at the bottom of the grille on the left speaker.

I suspected that water had possibly been spilled on the speaker, or worse yet a dog had mistaken it for a fire hydrant and relieved himself on the speaker! I got my nose up against it and no urine or any musty odor of any kind.

I rocked the left speaker back and put my hand under to the feel the bottom plank and it felt smooth and solid. No major concerns, as if the grille was swollen from water, I could always sand it down to the correct thickness when I replaced the grill cloth.

I then inspected the right speaker. There wasn't any swelling of the grille, so I didn't rock it back to check the bottom plank (mistake! - lesson learned, trust your gut and run your hands over all 6 sides of the speakers!).

The seller had said that he had the IC when I talked with him on the phone. However when I got there he could not find the IC, and was willing to lower his asking price $100 for the lack of the cable. I mentioned the potential water damage, and he dropped another $100. We shook hands and we were both happy.

As we hauled the SDA SRS 1.2TLs out of the back bedroom on my hand truck, I noticed that there was water damage on the bottom plank of the right speaker. I suspect that the grilles had gotten switched between the 2 speakers at some point in time and that's why the left hand grill was swollen at the bottom.

Into the Prius they went, and I got a better look at the bottom plank on the right speaker. The wood veneer was severely delaminated, but above that, the speaker MDF structure didn't appear to be affected.

de815op2np5n.jpg

So I knew some restoration work was in my future, but hopefully just cosmetic. The seller said if I had any issues with them, he would give me my money back and would even come pick them up. I respected that.

394hjq504hsr.jpg

When I arrived home about an hour later my son helped me unload the SDA SRS 1.2TLs, and I spent the next couple of hours giving them a good scrub down.

m6gecvfoaj54.jpg

Every pair of the large SDAs that I have purchased (3 pair now) has had white house paint splatter on the back! Always a PITA to remove without damaging the vinyl. I guess these speakers are too big for most people to move out of the room when they paint!

After cleaning, and removing all the white paint splatter, I put some vinyl/rubber protectant on the fronts and backs, and they look brand new again.

Today I decided to remove the bottom plank from the right speaker to see the extent of the water damage.
ls3enbbe9c5d.jpg
q5noo6rpubac.jpg
p6k3vxyk2mhi.jpg

PR removed to inspect for evidence of water ingress, none observed.
wcxkh2288yjx.jpg

4 retaining nuts and washers removed and bottom plank liberated from the box structure with ease.
h0o0bbfzoh4v.jpg

It does not appear that the cabinet structure was compromised due to the water exposure. There is a very slight swelling of the from baffle at its lower edge. I do not think I am going to address this as its a very subtle.
oi7jdmim3ndu.jpg
w3wgaro2x8vj.jpg

Since I had the PR out, I gave the rest of the interior a quick inspection. I was surprised to see that Polk used a piece of the walnut trim as a front baffle brace! Does anyone else noticed this?
u9eavp1l8llh.jpg

ehsyikubkdi2.jpg
a6w6fdgnmvdg.jpg

All I can think of is how did this water damage occur? They must have been sitting on a soaking wet carpet for a very long time.

So far nothing I cant address. I'm going to removed the bottom plank from the left speaker now to see if it has any hidden water damage as well.
HT
Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
2 Channel (Living Room)
Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
2 Channel (Office)
Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
2 Channel (Garage)
Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).

Comments

• Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    "I am going to need to replace the bottom plank on one of them as it has severe water damage (veneer peeling off). I am going to remove the bottom plank to see if the water got into any of the MDF box structure, but I don't think it did."

You got lucky my man! Didn't soak into the box at all by the looks of it.

Just get some real walnut. Check out this seller on Ebay for some nice stuff;
    http://stores.ebay.com/antlersexpress/

Looks like they took an offcut of veneered chipboard for the brace, probably the same sheet they used for the top and bottom plates.
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    Great story and photos. Good luck.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Welcome to the 1.2tl club ;) when i picked mine up one of them had a similar problem with the moisture problem on the bottom plate. I was able to scrape and sand all of the old veneer off and the mdf underneath was in very good shape. I then sanded and re veneered both speakers...hopefully you will have the same luck.

I don't think you want to use solid wood for the top or bottom plates as hardwood has a tendency to crack with temp change. I believe the original SRS had this issue.
  • @Rrusse11 I know! I just put the right speaker back together (future project), and removed the bottom plank from the left speaker.
    tp36a15peofe.jpg
    en8f0x748c9v.jpg

The bottom plank from the left speaker is in great condition, no signs of water damage anywhere. However the lower edge of the from baffle appears to have started to swell along the lower edge, more than the right speaker (with far worse bottom plank water damage - go figure).
    dj9fd5y6tgg2.jpg
    el7yk0eus0ht.jpg

I have heard that veneered top and bottom planks are more stable than the solid hardwoods. So I will probably go Walnut veneer, and redo all the top and bottom planks, and refinish the side moldings.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • @Gerres26 I agree with the Walnut veneer vs solid Walnut. Both pairs of my SDA SRSs have the solid Walnut top and bottom planks and have both experienced some minor warpage.

The veneer on the bottom plate can be peeled off by hand. Also it appears that there is a solid wood front and rear edge piece glued to a substrate (MDF?). Was that how yours was constructed as well?

As a follow up, my left speaker does not have the Walnut veneered front baffle brace.
    ami0154f07gi.jpg
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Mine were actually oak as opposed to your walnut, but i think i do remember there being a solid edge around the mdf.
  • Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    250GTlusso,

Yes, solid timber will move a bit with humidity. Veneer is fine, but then you have to deal with the edge. Use a bit of plywood as the core, and then glue solid wood for a neat edge finish. Make the trim thick enough and you can mold the edge and put a good radius on the corners.

For me, quicker and easier to laminate a solid board, fastener slots to allow expansion
    and contraction across the grain. It's only 13" wide, walnut doesn't move much, one of it's endearing properties for cabinetmakers. I've got some I've been air drying for years. The glues used in "modern" veneering aren't much chop in my book, and they're paper thin. My perspective comes from doing a lot of work on antique furniture, and old boats.

Chip board, particle board, mdf, et al, won't hold up in the long term, IMO. Lol, I want to make stuff that'll live longer than me!

Have fun!
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited February 2018
    Veenered MDF is way better than solid wood for this purpose and you won't have that ugly end grain.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Great post and a worthwhile journey.
  • Thanks @Jaybeez . Even though I have acquired 6 pairs of SDA's to date, this is the first pair that is going to require serious cosmetic work to make it right (all my other pairs are in good to great shape).

So I am looking forward to learning how to do everything from the CP community!

First project, is one of the most difficult, addressing swollen MDF under vinyl (due to water damage). Fingers crossed!
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • @F1nut , it appears that the bottom plank is a combination of veneer, plywood, and solid wood. Does this make sense?

HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    250GTLusso wrote: »
    Thanks @Jaybeez . Even though I have acquired 6 pairs of SDA's to date, this is the first pair that is going to require serious cosmetic work to make it right (all my other pairs are in good to great shape).

So I am looking forward to learning how to do everything from the CP community!

First project, is one of the most difficult, addressing swollen MDF under vinyl (due to water damage). Fingers crossed!

Looking forward to seeing them finished. Heard John's recently and was very impressed. Someday I may pull the trigger on a set.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    MDF would be the core material, covered in veneer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Thanks @nooshinjohn . I'll take photos of the D&I to see what I need to recreate.
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • Looking for help with removing the bottom plate. I just picked up a pair of SDA SRS, removed the passive radiator and removed the nuts for the plate. Can't get it loose from the cabinet, even when tapping aggresively with a small 2X4 and a hammer. Really thought they'd just fall off. Is it possible Polk glued the bottom plate onto the cabinet? Btw, the plate is solid oak (and cracked), is not laminated.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Yep originally they were solid wood, to my knowledge none were glued.
  • @sleahy, they should just fall off. If they aren't coming off with small 2x4 and a hammer, then you will need to adopt an alternate removal procedure (removal procedure for the SDA 1C - @F1Nut has posted it before, so do a search).
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    ^^^^^^^

Same here, I've done two sets of 1.2TL rebuilds now and the top/bottom plates were only attached via the four nuts on each. They just dropped off in each case once the nuts were removed.

On a second note, all were either loose or in one case, the lag bolt had dropped out of the top plate and was in the bottom of the cabinet making for a massive air leak. Even if someone is not doing a refurb, the nuts should be checked from time to time to ensure a nice airtight cabinet.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• F1nut
    Install lock washers to prevent the nuts from coming loose again. I also suggest installing a foam rubber gasket under the original washer with an ID that is snug to the bolt.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    On the same basic page here.

I used a ~2" square of the Armacell tape between the top/bottom of the cabinet and the end plates. Armacell square (8 per speaker) over each hole, small slit for the lag screw to pass through and then a washer/split washer/nut tightened over a few days to compress the armacell and form a good seal. The resulting gap between the end plates and front/side panels is not noticeable. Traveling but can post pics in a few days.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• Can anyone tell me how to remove the sides so I can replace the mesh along with the grills...
  • F1nut
    IIRC, they pop off.

President of Club Polk

• Has 250GT stopped with these?
    Anyone heard anything.....
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 601
    It's only been 4 years since his last update on this subject. He's probably just dealing with a slight case of writers block... :#
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 989
    ^ I can relate…. Trying to get the spark going again on my own projects.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Glad someone gave this a bump. Would be great to see the progress. Didnt realize there was another forum member with SDA's in the SoCal area.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    dpowell wrote: »
    Glad someone gave this a bump. Would be great to see the progress. Didnt realize there was another forum member with SDA's in the SoCal area.

Probably isn't, couldn't afford to live there and restore the SDA's ......
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    dpowell wrote: »

Probably isn't, couldn't afford to live there and restore the SDA's ......

Lol you make a good point.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050