Electrocuted when unplugging Magnifi Mini Subwoofer

Hey,

Just wanted to hear if it's normal that electricity will run back through the cable, from the power supply inside the MagniFi Mini subwoofer, and make you feel like it's your last minute on Death Row?

Not a pro when it comes to subwoofers and built-in power supplies, so maybe that's fairly normal? I just find it a bit weird.. But maybe it's just a "nice way" to make sure that you don't ever unplug a Polk device again? :D

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Hey, not normal call customer service at least don't stand in a puddle.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Note to self....do not wear a wet sponge on head when unplugging a Magnifi. lol

Call Polk, but I'm guessing it has more to do with your outlet than the Magnifi.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • @tonyb The current came from the subwoofer, because I got electrocuted AFTER I unplugged it. And I unplugged it because I'm gonna return it, because its making a weird static "siren" noise from within the subwoofer :P maybe there's a connection...
  • tonyb
    kthomsen wrote: »
    @tonyb The current came from the subwoofer, because I got electrocuted AFTER I unplugged it. And I unplugged it because I'm gonna return it, because its making a weird static "siren" noise from within the subwoofer :P maybe there's a connection...

I would return it then, and specifically state why, so they don't resell it as an open box item. Good luck, and sorry to hear about the jolt....hopefully no hair turned grey. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Discharge voltage is going the wrong direction for sure...
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Hello,
    Would it be possible for you to not return the unit, but give Polk the opportunity to examine it? I'll let them know of the situation.
    Thanks, Ken
  • Not sure how I can hand it over to Polk?
  • Good question, kt.
    BTW, I like your attitude which, with an extra dollar, might get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds. :)

I'm sure it is as you described, which is highly unusual, which is why Polk would like to get their hands-on, so to speak. What area of the country are you located ?

Be sure to post, if you would, what you/they find.

Sal Palooza
  • I live in Denmark, so that's why I'm not sure how to hand it over directly to Polk!

But no matter what, I'll let you know what they find out. :)
  • I'm sure Polk will be able to diagnose and get you right, hang in there.

I'm kind of curious, if you don't mind.
    I think Denmark has an electrical grid of 220v/50 hz while the US has an electrical grid of 110v/60 hz.
    The 50 Hz is no big deal but the 220v is quite a difference.

Are your outlets 220v ?
    If so, does the Magnifi MIni subwoofer have the ability to switch from 220v to 110v, either manually (via a switch) or automatically (via AutoSensing circuitry) ?

If your outlets are 220v, and the subwoofer can't covert from 220v to 110v, do you have to use a 220v/110v converter WITH plug/outlet adapters ?

What I mean is this:

phrhlj0wf4am.jpg

AND this:

(Typical converter AND adapter on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Simran-SMF-200-Converter-International-Countries/dp/B000W9DJ1Q/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8)

dydv40ywnq8v.jpg

This would allow the 110v Magnifi Mini subwoofer standard USA type A or B plug to connect to the standard Denmark C or K outlet via the 220v/110v converter.
    The converter also changes the plug to outlet configuration from Denmark to US.

If JUST an adapter is used, then a standard USA type or B plug can connect to a standard Denmark type C or K outlet.
    BUT the voltage is not changed. The plug will see 220v.
    If the Magnif Mini subwoofer circuitry sees 220v and can't convert it to 110v, then things will not turn out well.

Here's just an adapter:

9udiovt1790c.jpg

If your outlet is 220v AND the Manifi Mini CAN'T convert 220v to 110v, then the plain adapter is not what is needed.

As I mentioned, I'm just curious. I may be wrong but hopefully not to the point of creating an international incident to the point of requiring diplomatic intervention. :o

If it does, I was never here. B);)

Sal Palooza
  • We do have 220v here in Denmark, and I'm pretty sure that Polk made a 220v version of the MagniFi Mini to sell here in Denmark (and EU).

The power cable that came along with the subwoofer is the Plug Type C.

There are insanely strict rules in the EU when it comes to electronic devices, so I'm pretty sure that, on the paper at least, everything should be safe to use in a danish outlet. :)
    I'm sure Polk will be able to diagnose and get you right, hang in there.

I'm kind of curious, if you don't mind.
    I think Denmark has an electrical grid of 220v/50 hz while the US has an electrical grid of 110v/60 hz.
    The 50 Hz is no big deal but the 220v is quite a difference.

Are your outlets 220v ?
    If so, does the Magnifi MIni subwoofer have the ability to switch from 220v to 110v, either manually (via a switch) or automatically (via AutoSensing circuitry) ?

If your outlets are 220v, and the subwoofer can't covert from 220v to 110v, do you have to use a 220v/110v converter WITH plug/outlet adapters ?

What I mean is this:

phrhlj0wf4am.jpg

AND this:

(Typical converter AND adapter on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Simran-SMF-200-Converter-International-Countries/dp/B000W9DJ1Q/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8)

dydv40ywnq8v.jpg

This would allow the 110v Magnifi Mini subwoofer standard USA type A or B plug to connect to the standard Denmark C or K outlet via the 220v/110v converter.
    The converter also changes the plug to outlet configuration from Denmark to US.

If JUST an adapter is used, then a standard USA type or B plug can connect to a standard Denmark type C or K outlet.
    BUT the voltage is not changed. The plug will see 220v.
    If the Magnif Mini subwoofer circuitry sees 220v and can't convert it to 110v, then things will not turn out well.

Here's just an adapter:

9udiovt1790c.jpg

If your outlet is 220v AND the Manifi Mini CAN'T convert 220v to 110v, then the plain adapter is not what is needed.

As I mentioned, I'm just curious. I may be wrong but hopefully not to the point of creating an international incident to the point of requiring diplomatic intervention. :o

If it does, I was never here. B);)

• tonyb
    220v is certainly a greater concern. Maybe Polk should look into this, at least contact the supplier/seller in his home country. Get some serial numbers, and back track....ounce of prevention and all that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I just handed it over to POWER in Odense, Denmark.. Reseller name is kinda funny in this situation :p
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I'm sorry to hear that you had such a shockingly bad experience with a Polk product.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But in all seriousness, I hope it wasn't too bad of a jolt that you got. :(
    I just handed it over to POWER in Odense, Denmark.. Reseller name is kinda funny in this situation :p

• It's okay! I can't resist either! And there was definitely no resistance in the output of that power cable!

And it wasn't THAT bad. Would probably have been worse if I was grounded somewhere else, so it would go through my body. Fortunately it was just a very strong buzz in my left arm.

But of course, if this is something that should be looked into to prevent another situation like this, it would be good. I touched it like 1 second after I unplugged it, but I'm not sure for how long the coil inside the power-supply can contain a voltage high enough, that you would feel it. And of course, I didn't really want to try to find out! :P

But yeah.. It's there now. So now I'll be without great sound on my TV for 2-3 weeks! -_- Damnit!
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that you had such a shockingly bad experience with a Polk product.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But in all seriousness, I hope it wasn't too bad of a jolt that you got. :(
    I just handed it over to POWER in Odense, Denmark.. Reseller name is kinda funny in this situation :p

• Okay. Just got a text message from the reseller that the RMA-order has been accepted, so I can go and pick up a new soundbar-system. Not sure if Polk has been involved in this. They told me 2-3 weeks. 2-3 hours seems a bit fast for a place like that. But.. That's awesome! Now I won't have to live without great sound much longer! :)
  • tonyb
    Good to hear about the quick response, let us know how the new unit performs.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thanks for the updates.
    Maybe Polk needs to put some bleed resistors on some caps. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • Got a new unit, and so far, I think it sounds better.
    Had a bit of trouble when I got it, since the subwoofer wouldn't sync up (Hint: Play audio LOUD - playing it at low volume won't sync up the subwoofer with the soundbar)...

No electricity is coming out of it (I took the chance and tested it!), but still a weird sinus-wave high pitch sound.. But seems like that is normal! Coming from the amp/power supply in the subwoofer! But.. it's not NEARLY as loud as with the old unit! I could hear that from my couch 15-20 feet away! Now, I can't hear anything, unless I'm sitting next to it!

So... Guess everything is fine now! :)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    That high pitch you hear is likely from the switching power supply (AC»DC). It's rectifier noise.