How many have *successfully* setup Chromecast on MagniFi Mini?

asp
asp Posts: 4
edited February 2018 in Troubleshooting
So I keep seeing tons of threads about people having the soundbar stop working completely after connecting their MagniFi Mini to Google Home. I'm wondering: is this an issue on every unit, or is it like a 1 in a million issue? How many people have actually been able to connect and have everything work fine still?

I'm debating if I should push my luck and try connecting it, or if I should just give up on this feature completely.
Post edited by asp on

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I can assure you they don't all have issues. I've done at least 5 without any problems.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Just follow the instructions. There is a time or two when it seems like nothing is happening, but wait it out. The firmware update takes a while, but seems to include some stability improvements.
  • asp
    asp Posts: 4
    Well, I gave it a shot and it was able to connect. The Google Home app told me that setup never completed, but the sound bar rebooted and I was able to cast to it. Still works with my TV too.
  • CraigJC
    CraigJC Posts: 1
    I've got a similar issue. I've been using the MagniFi Mini for several months now as an audio-only ChromeCast device in the living room. However, tonight, following a Google Home update, the device stopped playing anything. The device shows as setup and working in Google Home, it is available for casting from all my cast-enable apps on my phone and computer, but when I try to cast to it, it seems to try to make the connection, then fails. I've reset everything i can find on the unit itself - WiFi, Sub, etc..and it all seems to configure correctly, even emitting a confirmation tone when the setup completes. But casting is a complete no-go.
    Another poster mentioned the firmware update, and how you have to give it time to complete. Any ideas where that FW update can be confirmed on the device or indications that it is occurring at all?
    I'll probably call Polk support tomorrow but would really like to resolve this without wasting my work time waiting for a resolution of some sort. This is very dissappointing - I've been very please with the unit itself but there doesn't seem to be any manual method to check/update/confirm any firmware updates for the unit and, with Google making updates to Home on a frequent basis, no apparent way to ensure that the Polk unit remains usable or updated....
  • LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    CraigJC wrote: »
    Any ideas where that FW update can be confirmed on the device or indications that it is occurring at all?

I'd like to know how, too.

• LeeSoFL
    In the Google Home app, if it setup properly (mine didn't until repairing it just now) there's a settings option that shows current firmware on the Polk.
  • LeeSoFL
    edited March 2018
    And today, the Google Home app on my iphone failed again. It shows the soundbar as a connected device, but am not able to access settings or update information. Yesterday after deleting the device and resetting the soundbar wifi, the soundbar had a speaker graphic on the app. Today, gone. I've read others have had the Google app lock up their soundbar. Should I just forget about this app doing anything useful regarding the POLK MaxSR?vgnv3kuxapgy.png
  • I had my magnifimax polk sound bar working perfectly then wondered what the Google chromecast app would give me. After trying and failing on the update 3 times
    I gave up. Now the fun starts It broke my TV connection. I deleted the Google home app and the device. still having problems. The TV would say no sound connected to HDMI1 . I switched the hdmi cables to the Cable and the DVD and now I have sound. does not make any sense. After playing the dvd I could not switch back to TV. So I switched HDMI cable back to the way they should be and now it works? Maybe I got a flaky cable from polk ? The last time I tried it with the sound bar off the TV turned on the sound bar and I am good. Hope this helps someone.
  • Just commenting here to say its now September 2018 and Polk still hasn't resolved this issue. I tried connecting the Magnifi Mini to google home, and it immediately bricked the sound bar. Called support and they are sending a replacement, but they still have no record of this being an ongoing issue.
  • RajG
    RajG Posts: 1
    Hi, I encounter same issue after trying to setup Google Home yesterday. Is there anyway I can reset magnifi mini device to previous configuration.TV to sound bar connection is gone now. I contacted the support. Any help will be appreciated.
  • Hello,
    I'll ask a friend at Polk to contact you via email.
  • I can't get Chromecast set up at all, everything else is working great, maybe I should give up trying to set up Chromecast and save myself future headaches
  • I've had my running for a week now. Admittedly I have it hard wired via Ethernet and it seems pretty stable.

My issue is the sound quality of audio from, say, Spotify (and others). It's giving out that nasty low bitrate 'ring' you used to get in the early days of MP3. It's like it's downgrading the bitrate to stream (or something like that!).

Anyone else noticed this?
  • I've had my running for a week now. Admittedly I have it hard wired via Ethernet and it seems pretty stable.

My issue is the sound quality of audio from, say, Spotify (and others). It's giving out that nasty low bitrate 'ring' you used to get in the early days of MP3. It's like it's downgrading the bitrate to stream (or something like that!).

Anyone else noticed this?

Yes, the audio quality i have been experiencing via cast is absoloutely terrible. Can confirm it is only when casting and not when bluetooth or aux.
  • Polk continues to offer the worst support. vu6soe4fmjat.png
  • Just to put in my opinion, after two years it finally connected. Could be the updates. Whatever, for now, some Gregorian chants. Bliss.