Anyone here with experience with PS Audio Directstream DAC?

Anyone here with experience or owns this DAC?
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Man, I've been trying to get some ears on experience with this DAC/DAC+Memory Player, but, haven't had any luck. Almost picked up a pair purchased in October of 17 for $6995. Skip suggested I wait till I got ears on the Northstar stuff...I'm still thinking about running over him when I see him next.

I will say that after speaking with the owner his words were that they were nice, but, don't believe all the hype written about them. That's all he said and I got no info on associated equipment, though, looking at his other items offered for sale on US Audio Mart, he was running mice equipment.

I'm pretty sure that pair will end up in my system eventually. I like the FPGA approach to DAC's.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I think member dragon1952 just acquired one, I'm sure he'll chime in. I'd love to own one! I think to get the best out of your current CD's you need the Memory Player as well.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I recently just heard one of these. I was buying a Marantz SA8004 from someone and after auditioning that he switched over to the PSaudio gear. To my ears on his setup there wasn't a big noticeable improvement to be honest. Especially for the price difference between the two units. Now your gear may prove otherwise of course.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    @Joey_V,

I've had a DirectStream for a couple of years, now. I don't have much to compare it with. Prior to this DAC, I had PS Audio PerfectWave MKI and MKII DACs, and before those I used a Cambridge Audio Azure 840C CD player, which I used as both CD player and DAC.

With that said, the DirectStream has produced far better sound quality to my taste than any of the others I've had in my systems. [I am still using the MKI and MKII DACs in my other systems, and they produce quite good SQ, albeit not as good as the DirectStream.]

The FPGA feature of the DirectStream is definitely a big plus in my opinion. Each upgrade that PS Audio has released, except the last one, has been a palpable upgrade in SQ. The last one, however, was so bright that my wife could not listen to it, and I mean she literally could not remain within earshot of the system with that version of the software in place.

This, by the way, is another advantage of the FPGA feature; it took me just a couple of minutes to restore the software to the previous version.

@DarqueKnight had a DirectStream for a few days or weeks, but found it not satisfactory for his needs.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• halen
    halen Posts: 675
    @Moose68Bash that is the beauty of FPGA. I am not colorful with words of description but I will not got back to chip based DAC’s. Given, I have not experienced Emms or whatever it is called. No disrespect. I do have experience with Meitner, Dcs, Lamp and others. PS Audio is very respectable but I have always liked Chord better and Lamp best. But that is just me and my setup and the ones I have experienced. It is so much more than just bass depth. It is the layering, the width, depth, soundstage, of the music and presentation.

It is a sickness I no longer welcome. Just enjoy the time and music. Matter of fact I think I caught that bug again. Dang it. I should throw out my Apple HomePod.

Cheers
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I am getting the PSA Direct Stream with Memory player into my system. Someone is wanting to get rid of it so I will take it and see how it does. Resale should not be a problem I don't think based on the market pulse.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    You can put me in line.
  • I bought one when they first came out. I was looking for a DAC that had DSD capability and that had equal or better sound quality to my Cary Audio CD 306 Pro Version SACD player/DAC.

The DS DAC was a big disappointment. The person who bought mine was thrilled with it. However, we had two different performance and experience perspectives: he was comparing the DS DAC to his former $1,800 DAC and I was comparing the DS DAC to an $8,000 SACD player/DAC.

There have been several firmware upgrades since the DS DAC's introduction and my experience is probably no longer relevant. I look forward to reading your review.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2018
    One of our club mates had the Bryston dac (I forget which one) then the DS, he then bought the Esoteric K03x which prompted him to sell the Bryston and the DS.

I asked him why did he sell the DS, he said the DS and the esoteric were pretty close but that he was tired of all the firmware updates.

He then demoed my Emm and we all thought the Emm really mopped the Esoteric (if you’ve ever been part of a club, you’ll know how difficult and rare it would be for all the members to come to a unanimous conclusion).

So now he’s buying an Emm.

I would like to see what the DS stack does against my full Emm stack. If anything, this will be a lesson for me.

If the DS stack is close, then I’m going to be happy as I get to pocket the money from the sale of my Emm stack.
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2018
    halen wrote: »
    @Moose68Bash that is the beauty of FPGA. I am not colorful with words of description but I will not got back to chip based DAC’s. Given, I have not experienced Emms or whatever it is called. No disrespect. I do have experience with Meitner, Dcs, Lamp and others. PS Audio is very respectable but I have always liked Chord better and Lamp best. But that is just me and my setup and the ones I have experienced. It is so much more than just bass depth. It is the layering, the width, depth, soundstage, of the music and presentation.

It is a sickness I no longer welcome. Just enjoy the time and music. Matter of fact I think I caught that bug again. Dang it. I should throw out my Apple HomePod.

Cheers

Just as an addition.

You mention FPGA.

Directstream is FPGA.

Emm is also FPGA plus discreet. Meaning all the upsampling and filtering happens at a software level while the actual conversion occurs within discrete dac architecture rather than an off the shelf dac chip.

DCS is the same way as Emm but with the Vivaldi having more robust FPGA section and processing power.
  • kharp1
    I did not know this. That may move Emm in to the mix for me.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited February 2018
    @Joey_V,

I've had a DirectStream for a couple of years, now. I don't have much to compare it with. Prior to this DAC, I had PS Audio PerfectWave MKI and MKII DACs, and before those I used a Cambridge Audio Azure 840C CD player, which I used as both CD player and DAC.

With that said, the DirectStream has produced far better sound quality to my taste than any of the others I've had in my systems. [I am still using the MKI and MKII DACs in my other systems, and they produce quite good SQ, albeit not as good as the DirectStream.]

The FPGA feature of the DirectStream is definitely a big plus in my opinion. Each upgrade that PS Audio has released, except the last one, has been a palpable upgrade in SQ. The last one, however, was so bright that my wife could not listen to it, and I mean she literally could not remain within earshot of the system with that version of the software in place.

This, by the way, is another advantage of the FPGA feature; it took me just a couple of minutes to restore the software to the previous version.

@DarqueKnight had a DirectStream for a few days or weeks, but found it not satisfactory for his needs.

Wow...pretty much the path I've taken...Cambridge 840C to PerfectWave MK II to DirectStream. The DirectStream is just so perfect sounding. No matter how loud you listen it is just so pure and non-fatiguing. I'd been lusting so much after one of these and thought it was just too far out of my comfort zone price-wise and then I was able to find one for well under $4K. We just moved into a new house and were spending so much on other stuff but when I saw this I decided to sell my PerfectWave and a couple guitars I loved to finance it. No regrets so far. However, if I remember correctly, the designer of the DirectStream used one of the Emm Labs designs as a reference. Don't they use an FPGA vs DAC chip design also?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    I think member dragon1952 just acquired one, I'm sure he'll chime in. I'd love to own one! I think to get the best out of your current CD's you need the Memory Player as well.

Good memory :^ )
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Joey_V
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I did not know this. That may move Emm in to the mix for me.

I’ll give you an honest comparison between the Directstream stack vs emm stack.

As a reference point, refer to my recent Emm thread and see what happened to my local audiophile group.
  • kharp1
    I did, and I'm following. For some reason I've long been interested in this PS pair and I'm afraid that I'm just going to have to get one in house before I move on to anything else. I hate having tunnel vision, but, I can't run from the truth.
  • Joey_V
    Cool man

Either way I’ll give you the best possible deal on the DS
  • kharp1
    I'm trying to get my read on with the Emm. I had somewhat ruled out, or moved to the back burner, any DAC that wasn't FPGA, but, if the Emm incorporates that it becomes a player. Trying to figure out exactly how they use it.
  • Joey_V
    They use it as filtering and upsampling, but the core of the dac unit is their own discrete build. Just like on the high end DCS units. No off the shelf products.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    edited February 2018
    Nice. Didn’t know.

Cheers