Monitor 10 in Rosewood

Picked up a nice set of monitor 10 yesterday that are the rosewood finish. These are earlyish versions with the odd old style grille attachment and peerless tweeters, but still the coated cones and two fuses.

One tweeter is bad (tested and taken apart) so I am in need of one. They have the little hole/dimple.

I will recap as well. There is a light grey mortite type material used to gasket the drivers and crossover/connecting cup so I will replace that as well. What do you guys use to replace that usually. I have some of the mortitie stuff.
a8flnb9hpeeb.jpg
zeudde0s2rkh.jpg
uthokwpkw5yv.jpg
zxf3ws1srzz6.jpg
Citation 1, WOPL 400, Dynaco ST70, Pioneer SA9100, 5580, Marantz 4400
ADS 1590, AR9, Altec Santiago, Apogee Slant 6, KEF 104/2, Tannoy Mayfair, Allison One, Dahlquist M-907, JBL 4313b
Technics SL1015, Denon DP-62L w/103

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    :) Nice loudspeakers.

Morphologically virtual twins (so to speak) to my Monitor Series Model 7As (purchased in 1978) - right down to the "rosewood" vinyl.

It's pretty hideous, isn't it? :|

11208642076_3f7f8db8b1_b.jpgPolkmonitor7Asn4900 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    :) Nice loudspeakers.

Morphologically virtual twins (so to speak) to my Monitor Series Model 7As (purchased in 1978) - right down to the "rosewood" vinyl.

It's pretty hideous, isn't it? :|

11208642076_3f7f8db8b1_b.jpgPolkmonitor7Asn4900 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Admiring all of your collection. You should open up a museum!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    verb wrote: »
    . You should open up a museum!

He threatened to once. The price of admission was going to be that following your visit, you had to take a piece of equipment upon your departure.

• mhardy6647
    It may well come to that.
    The Polks won't be at the top of the door prize list, though! :)
  • Back on point here....

I am need of one Peerless tweeter if anybody has a spare.

Also, looking at the crossover, What brand caps have you guys had good results with? I tend to lean towards the 5% Daytons. I see motorhead recommended Sonicaps in another thread. What do you think about just going with an NPE for the 34UF cap? Change the resistors?
    ADS 1590, AR9, Altec Santiago, Apogee Slant 6, KEF 104/2, Tannoy Mayfair, Allison One, Dahlquist M-907, JBL 4313b
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Or two 17uf film caps for the 34uf. Not much sense to put another NPE in there. Polypropylene film caps are much better and will out live the NPE by generations.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Sonicap has all the values you need and sound way better than Dayton/Bennic.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    I concur, FWIW. The Daytons (rebranded Bennics) are good cheap capacitors (far superior to generic NP electrolytics, e.g.), but these loudspeakers do deserve better than the Daytons. :)

Save the Daytons for the Jensen era Advents, EPI "T/E series" -- stuff like that :|

• What? Install $170 worth of caps into a $200 pair of speakers! Monitor 10's are nice speakers, but they ain't that nice.

See this is the problem with caps. You've got the Dayton price level, and then typically too big a jump up.
  • mhardy6647
    there's all kind of price points - see www.madisound.com (e.g.) or www.partsconnexion.com
  • Are the drivers on these supposed to be gasket sealed when mounted?

I got a replacement tweeter so all is good. They sound very nice, even before new caps.
  • pitdogg2
    drugolf wrote: »
    Are the drivers on these supposed to be gasket sealed when mounted?

Yes
  • F1nut
    What? Install $170 worth of caps into a $200 pair of speakers! Monitor 10's are nice speakers, but they ain't that nice.

See this is the problem with caps. You've got the Dayton price level, and then typically too big a jump up.

Why not? I'm installing $1500 worth of crossover components into speakers that retailed for $900 and it'll be worth every penny.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    F1nut wrote: »
    What? Install $170 worth of caps into a $200 pair of speakers! Monitor 10's are nice speakers, but they ain't that nice.

Why not? I'm installing $1500 worth of crossover components into speakers that retailed for $900 and it'll be worth every penny.

Oooooo do tell o'chap
  • F1nut
    All in good time.

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Ok, now I'll be the impatient one... Tell us now! :D
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    All in good time.
    I got a pint of O negative waiting for ya....Spill
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2018
    All in good time.

He is more a AB negative kind of guy.....
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    All in good time.

He is more a AB negative kind of guy.....

More like ABnormal...
  • drugolf wrote: »
    There is a light grey mortite type material used to gasket the drivers and crossover/connecting cup so I will replace that as well. What do you guys use to replace that usually. I have some of the mortitie stuff.

Hey Dru,

Don't mind these guys. They're an easily distracted bunch.

Armacell is the preferred material for making new gaskets. About $11 for a 30' roll at Home Depot. It worked great on my 10Bs.

Also, FWIW, I sprang for the Sonicaps in my crossovers and have no regrets. Westmassguy, the go-to expert here, promised me "mo' better bass" with them and he wasn't kidding. I know the M10s sometimes get dismissed as mere party speakers but I like mine just fine.

Hope all's well with you. Let's catch up some time.

Michael
  • drugolf
    drugolf Posts: 22
    SO now I am a little confused. I went to start my cap and resistor replacement and I am not sure about what I have here. The two appear to have the same values but different brands of caps. Also, these do not match the schematic for the early version, nor photos of other monitor 10's I can find. Looks more like Monitor 7. ? What do you guys think is going on here? There is a 12uf Mylar and a 33uf NPE. 2 each 2.7ohm resistors only.

Also a photo of one of the 6.5" drivers.
    67sakcmb3uf9.jpg
    jvx9ou8j6ps6.jpg
    bx1cyqu77thp.jpg

• F1nut
    Those are early 10's. Replace with the same values as found.

12uF
    33uF
    2.7 ohm x 2

President of Club Polk

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737

$170 would make the $200 speakers sound like today's $800 speakers, so you'd be money ahead.

To the point of whether the investment is worth it overall given the speaker you're starting with, it may depend on the type of music you listen to.

I had 7s and 10s in the same room, positioned correctly, etc. Found the 7s were more focused and great / better for most music. To my ears, the 10's really shone on jazz and classical music.

They just sounded a bit more open and conveyed the wider range of instruments associated with those types of music.