Carver TFM35x vs M1.0t to run my SDA's

2»

Comments

• audioluvr wrote: »

That was good stuff. Anything made by HK after the 80's is going to be declining performance and quality. I honestly haven't purchased any HK gear since my last HK disc player had buttons start to fall off and then stopped reading discs. So, I don't know how good the quality is anymore but it sure looks like you can get a lot more receiver from just about any other company.

I am so disappointed to see them run that company into the ground. I would call HK entry level audio equipment. You need at least one item that can be called a flagship and they have nothing.

Thankfully, Polk still makes me happy! I haven't bought anything but Polk speakers since 1984, although i was given a pair of Sonance 832's that also sound pretty decent. I might have to start selling my collection soon. I have too many Polks inactive and some needy soul should use them.
  • John, if you know Bob Carver, tell him he's legen......wait for it.......dary.
  • Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    verb wrote: »
    Thanks guys for your comments. I just picked up a minty TFM35x with original box and manual. Can't wait to hook em up !!!

Special thanks to Audioluvr about the Carver service center. I'll keep them bookmarked to eventually get this old dog M1.0t serviced and upgraded !!!

verb,

Congrats on your TFM 35x, I got a similar, (1 owner with original box and manuals),
    TFM 35. I do like having the gain controls on the 35 vs the 35x. As mentioned in my "Upgrade 2.3" thread, I'm loving the additional power.
    Now I'm on the hunt for a M1.0t for the next in line project, refurbishing my RTA 12s. I'm sold on the idea of putting heaps of watts to the old Polks.

Let me know if you ever decide to let one of your 1.0s go. Yeah yeah, unlikely I know,
    you've got the bug too. {:o)

Cheers!
    R*2

SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Heaps of watts is not what you need. Heaps of current is.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    F1nut wrote: »
    Heaps of watts is not what you need. Heaps of current is.

I happen to own a Carver TFM 35X also. Does it have heaps of current?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Short answer, no. Most Carver SS amps (and Sunfire too) are better voltage source amps, and less so current source amps. The TFM 35(x) is not a mag coil (switching) power supply - it is a traditional SS design. Carver mag coil amps are not great current source amps either, and neither are Sunfire, for that matter. The only way to get heaps of current is with BIG transformers... or tubes.

Quick way to determine current is to look at low-impedance performance. Any high current amp worth a damn will double power each step from 8-4-2 ohms, and be rock-stable at 2 ohms.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    There's your answer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    For giggles what kind of current do the TFM 45 amps push daddyjt?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Carver TFM35x:

250watts 8ohm
    350watts 4ohm

Nothing published at 2ohm
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • daddyjt
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    For giggles what kind of current do the TFM 45 amps push daddyjt?

The last TFM 45 I had on my bench got up to 46.2v into 4 ohms, at clipping. Current (I) = V/R, so the amp put out 11.55 amps. Watts = VI (Volts x Current), so it was putting out 533.6 Watts, at clipping.

Just for giggles, if the 45 could have put out that same 46.2v into TWO ohms... 46.2/2=23.1 amps (I). VI (46.2 x 23.1) = 1,067.2 Watts... I would suspect that it would actually put out more like 30v into 2 ohms, for about 450 Watts - however the amp could not do that for long at all.

Here’s a simple diagram for reference, if you’re curious:

4cy9iedlmgdx.png

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Rrusse11
    daddyjt,

Haven't got my head around the theory yet, but it certainly explains why adding another TFM 35 into my system made such a BIG difference. Now @ speaker is getting enough voltage to really drive it.

Cheers!
    R*2
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Man's fascination with attaining more power and being one step above another can be quite comical at times. If you don't have a sound proof music studio with isolated circuits/components and gobs of power from the most sophisticated tube system, you will always be scrutinized by others... It's all about the enjoyment of music and if and when you are willing to "settle".

Just my two cents worth. ;)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Rrusse11
    " It's all about the enjoyment of music and if and when you are willing to "settle".

Oh I'll give you a nickel! {;o)
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

4cy9iedlmgdx.png

Ohms’s Law. Gotta love it!

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • daddyjt
    edited February 2018
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Man's fascination with attaining more power and being one step above another can be quite comical at times...

Are you trying to say "bigger isn't always better?" :smiley:

I couldn't agree more - it's not watts, its system synergy.

rujq3jyb5kzy.jpg

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Right!

hi1r47tcc8lx.jpeg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus